Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed front strut tower bar on my 2001 RS yesterday. The hood would not close after the bar was installed because the bar was getting in the way of the thing that covers the hood scoop from the inside. There are two flaps on its sides that did not clear the bar. I took the cover off for now. I'm thinking about just cutting those flaps off the cover, or perhaps leaving the cover off altogether, for now. I am a little worried about water getting into the engine compartment though. Plus, those flaps look like they are used to properly drain water that gets into the hood scoop. Has anybody experienced this before? Any thoughts? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Silver '99 Impreza 2.5 RS
118 Posts
Yep, same thing happened with mine (Primitive strut tower brace).

I was gonna grind them off, but the SCCA rules for STS class are a bit weird about trim pieces. I erred on the side of just beating them flat with a hammer. That way at least there's no "weight savings" for somebody to protest.

Anyway, yeah, just grind, cut, or pound the damn things into submission. I haven't had any trouble with water (and I live in Oregon).

Sean
www.subrew.com

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
THe other thing to keep in mind is that with the block-off plate removed, someone can snip the wire to your (factory) alarm siren and break in nice and quietly.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
I've been running without the covers for about 30,000 miles, and the only problem I've had is the horrid clutch creak. I guess water getting on the top of the trans washed grease away.
It wasn't too hard to re-lube. I think the gains in keeping cooler under the hood outweigh having to lube the clutch slave and fork pivot.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
i too have the primitive racing bar on my 01...

i used double sided sponge tape to keep the bar from rubbing on the hood scoop backing plate... this works well except that every few months i have to change the tape to keep it from wearing out...

cheers
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts