Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO bought a used 2012 Impreza a month ago and within 30 minutes off the lot, had clunking when turning at low speed. After some diagnosis by two seperate shops, had two different things told to me.

1st shop was the dealer's choice, and they said it's and issue with the ring and pinion, and a replace will run $700 plus labor using "wholesale parts". I don't exactly trust them because the dealership is a piece of sh**.

2nd shop confirmed that the ring and pinion are bad, and said the only way to fix it is a full new transmission (I don't buy it). I trust this shop, but they work on more trucks than Subarus, and I can forgive them not knowing if we can fix individual parts as opposed to a full swap.

I know very little about cars, enough to change tires, brakes, and oil and some basic components.

SO the question is - can I just get a shop to swap out the Ring and Pinion within the casing without swapping the whole transmission? I see "sets" for the ring and pinion online for like $240 - but I don't know if there are other parts of that assembly that I should purchase for a full repair. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,887 Posts
I tend to think both shops are wrong. If the ring and pinion are causing a clunk noise during low speeds then you should also hear a whine at highway speeds likely from broken or missing teeth. If they drained the fluid they would have likely seen teeth or alot of metal shavings. You can also look at the ring teeth with the drain plug removed.

What type of transmission do you have? Is it manual, auto/CVT?

This sounds like a differential problem. If you have issues only when turning and not straight line then the ring and pinion are very much NOT causing the noise you are hearing. Either the front or center diff is likely bad. The front diff is easy to check. If you have a jack, lift the front wheel until both are off the ground. Spin one and see what it feels like. It should have some resistance when turning the tire and rotate the other wheel in the opposite direction. You can check the center diff in a similar way by lifting one front and one rear tire off the ground by jacking at the pinch weld on the side of the car. If you have a manual trans there will be ALOT of resistance to turn the wheels independently but if you go slow you SHOULD be able to get alittle movement. I dont believe the same is true for the auto/CVT trans. They have a electronically controlled diff and I dont know if you can make it slip the same way the viscous diff in the manual trans does.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts