Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if driving without a front license plate will help with anything? It should cool the coolant more, but will it improve accleration or longevity(meaning 3hr+ road trips). I think the RS looks better without it, too. Is it legal to remove the plate and place it behind the windshield and out of the driver's forward view?

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Check your local and state laws. The DOT and/or Dept of Justice (should be .gov websites) should have the vehicle code. Will it help cooling, maybe a little. Will it help performance, nah. Does it look better, yup.

·
Registered
597 Posts
gotta have a front plate in CA. probably for photo tickets.
The car doesn't look that good with the front plate, so I just put the Subaru Rally Team USA frame on to make it look half decent :)

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,936 Posts
if you cover your plates with clear nail polish, when photo cameras will take picture, they wont get anything but much much glare.

use a couple of coats of that stuff, works wonders, and it's proven!

·
Registered
2001 Magic Mobile
938 Posts
kickin_81 said:
Is it legal to remove the plate and place it behind the windshield and out of the driver's forward view?
I see a lot of people put their plates on the dash behind their windshields. Pretty sure it's illegal. It seems dangerous too. If you crash, that metal plate might fly towards you or your passenger...

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
or just bend the license plate in. maybe place the license plate underneath a foglight. as for performance, i know my friend that owns a miata read on their forum that tells them not to place their plate right in front of their raditors. miatas overheat easily, and the license plate being in the front can cause their cars to overheat (something like that).

jz

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JZ oo7 said:
or just bend the license plate in. maybe place the license plate underneath a foglight. as for performance, i know my friend that owns a miata read on their forum that tells them not to place their plate right in front of their raditors. miatas overheat easily, and the license plate being in the front can cause their cars to overheat (something like that).

jz
I've seen a GC8 with a bent in license plate, but will the cops just mess with you more? You mentioned about the overheating, that's my concern. As what you mentioned, having the plate moved elsewhere should help with the cooling better.

·
General pain in the ass
98 Superu Impreza 2.5 rs...
3,936 Posts
ok, listen up!

here is the thing: the way law states it, is you dont HAVE to have a front lis plate, but you do need a reflective plate. That means you can mount a jap plate, or just tape a pice of reflective tape. In some states law saz that you have to have number be visible on a front plate, that means that you can fold top and bottom sides of the plate in, drill the holes through, and still be legal.

I never had a front plate on my rx7 or on my Impreza, i did get pulled over a couple of times. I say 2 things:

If i am in 7 - sir, some one backed into me, and this is a new bumer, old plate got tossed with a bumper. they say ok, get a new one.. bla bla. bye

If i am in impreza - sir, i explicitly asked the dealer if i need the front plate as the car looks much better without one, i was told no, as a matter of fact when i registered this car, i didnt even get tabs for front plate. Cop usually say that you lie, and that the dealer had to have given you a front plate, to which i respond, oh ofcourse sir, i got the plate, it's at home with the rest of the documents on my car... they let you go and say that you got to put the plate on as soon as u get home.

A friend of mine, carrys a print out of the law with him, when he gets pulled over, he lets the cop talk, the says: according to washing law RCW 234.251.23.12-9 section 11.4(b²) i am allowed to bla bla bla, and drives off. I was in a caw once, it's a blast.

find your locaw law, and FUCK WITH IT!!

Alex- your local law junkie

·
Registered
MY00 Impreza 2.5RS, Aspen Whit
150 Posts
Even though our cars are Jap I put a euopean plate on mine to fit the hole better. Here in Ky you only need the rear plate.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
kickin_81 said:

I've seen a GC8 with a bent in license plate, but will the cops just mess with you more? You mentioned about the overheating, that's my concern. As what you mentioned, having the plate moved elsewhere should help with the cooling better.
if the cop hassles you about your bent front plate, just tell him that someone hit you. he'll probably make you get a new one. as for overheating, miatas have a much smaller front opening vs. impreza. their opening is probably 50% covered with a front license plate.

jz

·
Registered
MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS BRP
2,605 Posts
is that how your friend got over heated last time up mt hammy?
JZ oo7 said:

if the cop hassles you about your bent front plate, just tell him that someone hit you. he'll probably make you get a new one. as for overheating, miatas have a much smaller front opening vs. impreza. their opening is probably 50% covered with a front license plate.

jz

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
iBlueVirus said:
is that how your friend got over heated last time up mt hammy?
oh no...my other friend over heated his tranny fluid going up.

jz

·
Registered
174 Posts
it's all looks, airflow is no problem.

supposedly here in Washington State, effective Jan 03, front plates will not be required. So yay, mine is coming off in Jan.

I really doubt it affects cooling in any way. It's just a looks thing. There is so much airflow in the grille, and then the bumper hole, not to mention air flowing underneith the car.... and then we have fans that kick on when A/C is on, or when there is minimal airflow... like sitting in traffic or driving slow. Seal off the bottom with a skid plate, then I would be conscience about it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
In Japan, they put the front plates on hinges that have low tension coils (like a mouse trap.) So, as the car accelerates and the plate meets more wind resistance under speed, it begins to bend back and under. When the car is stopped the pressure of the coils are not being pushed and the plate is fully visible. This is used by street racers on the highway to avoid photoradar.

mike

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
damn japanese, they have all these cool ideas!

jz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts