Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard would it be to move the stock front brakes to the rear? The reason I'm asking is because I am receiving stock WRX front brakes and new braided steel brake lines. It will also give me an opportunity to paint my calipers, without having my car out of service for a full day. Caution sign orange, here I come. :D

I've never worked on the rear brakes in the RS, but how different are they from the front? The emergency brake works by a drum, right? I have no idea where it is either.

Ok, in the engine compartment, I have two brake fluid reservoirs. How do they work? As in, which reservoir works which brakes?

Please help. :)

·
Registered
2000 Blue Ridge Pearl Subaru I
294 Posts
Not sure about the moving of front to back, but the reason you have two brake fluid cylinders in the engine bay is that one of them (the smaller one on the left) is the clutch master cylinder. The bigger one is for the brakes.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
The rear brakes are very different than the fronts. The emergency brake dosen't clamp the caliper but there is a small set of brake shoes inside a drum that is part of the rotor I believe. So the rotors are different. Unless you want to do w/o an e-brake

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peaty said:
The rear brakes are very different than the fronts. The emergency brake dosen't clamp the caliper but there is a small set of brake shoes inside a drum that is part of the rotor I believe. So the rotors are different. Unless you want to do w/o an e-brake
The e-brake is all I use when I'm stopped.

So, to put different sized rotors on the back, i'll have to redo the e-brake? Sounds like too much work for an underskilled enthusiast. :)

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
You could get the H6 rear rotors those are bigger and have the inner drum on the rotor. Others have done that.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Peaty said:
You could get the H6 rear rotors those are bigger and have the inner drum on the rotor. Others have done that.
Yeah.. but they're not free. ;) :lol:

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Too True :(

Maybe when My wife isn't looking I'll do a swap with my RS :devil:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may not succeed, but I'll definately give it a try..

and hopefully be able to take pictures..

Thanks

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
Does your state have auto inspection? (we don't here in KS) most require a working e-brake. Chances are good that you will not have one after you do the swap. Just a watch out.

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
I'd rather try to help :)

Besides if I wanted to be nasty I would not have said anything :devil:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts