Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the "Autos" section of Sunday's paper, and I found an article on the WRX wagon. The guy that wrote the article needs to be severely beaten!! Here is why:

"Under the hood, the 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine is of a "boxer" design.
Most four-cylinders have the four lined up one behind the other, but Subaru's design has two cylinders lying flat on one side, two on the other, and the pistons and rods appear to be "boxing" each other, hence the name.
The name is borrowed for the Porsche Boxster, as Porsche uses the same lying flat engine arrangement.
It's a reasonably compact design, but it is not inherently smooth. Subaru's four-cylinders have always been a little rougher than, say, the best four-cylinders from Audi, Honda, or Toyota."

This is a direct quote from Steven Cole Smith of the Orlando Sentinel. Is it just me, or is this guy a moron?! I think he needs to do some more research! Seems to me he is implying that Subaru coined the term "boxer". Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I could swear the horizontally opposed engine is smoother than an inline engine. Before I went turbo, there were more than a few times I had to stab at the gas pedal to see if the car was on! There's no mistaking it now, but that's another story! It just irritated me to read that! What do you guys think?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only thing it seems that he got wrong is that the name is "borrowed" from the Porsche Boxter. Boxer engine is a name just like "inline four" which has been applied to VWs, Subarus, and Porsches. Porsches made it famous, Subaru fed it to the masses. But I wouldn't call him an idiot based on everything else.

·
Registered
300 Posts
"Boxing each other" eh? Thats a new one to me! This guy has now idea what he is talking about. He probally doesnt even like cars:rolleyes:
Alex

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh yesss...I forgot [had a few beers tonight] you are right about the courseness of the engine. The boxer engine naturaly balances out vibrations from the other cylinder bank making it, in theroy, quieter and better balanced that an inline design. Altough the Toyota and Audi 4 cylinders are much much much more refined engines which are designed for being smooth and quiet. A well refined boxer engine will be better than a well refined inline engine anyday....it's just that ours arent designed to be as smooth and quiet as possible. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Damn...yet another reply from the DUMB ASS Scottie. That is how the term Boxer was termed, from the fact that the pistons resembly boxers fists. No shit here, I think it is stupid too..but that is where it came from.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ScottiE said:
The only thing it seems that he got wrong is that the name is "borrowed" from the Porsche Boxter.
Read that quote again, he said Porsche borrowed the Boxer term FOR the Porsche Boxter, not the other way around, thats what i originally thought too (same as you) until i read it more carefully.

Ed

·
Registered
76 Posts
Elite421 said:
"Boxing each other" eh? Thats a new one to me! This guy has now idea what he is talking about. He probally doesnt even like cars:rolleyes:
Alex
Actually don't roll your eyes so soon, Subaru of America actually uses that exact same origin of the term boxer engine in their PR and promo materials for they're engine layout, i wouldn't be so quick to jump on this guy.

Ed

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
The guy is a dolt.... Subaru must not be running any ads in that paper.

Most I4's have balance shafts running off the crank to smooth them out....

:stupid:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Actually the term "boxer" engine is derived from "the boxlike shape of the crankcase and cylinders.
Also called a horizontally opposed engine or pancake engine."

R&T Automotive Dictionary.

·
Registered
300 Posts
sjt said:
Actually the term "boxer" engine is derived from "the boxlike shape of the crankcase and cylinders.
Also called a horizontally opposed engine or pancake engine."

R&T Automotive Dictionary.
Yea that is what i heard.
Alex

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi this is my first post on here, ive been a lurker for a VERY long time now and never felt the need to post. but alas... this time i do.

the origin of "boxer" is from the volkswagen beetle. its true those crazy germans thought that the pistons looked like they were boxing eachother.... instead of just fireing. so alas it was known as a boxer engine. subaru picked the design up as well as porche. and thats how it got the name. this is all from the history channel.... i think their a reliable source :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well Ferraris in general have been known to use the boxer. They actually used the horizontal twelve cylinder in the testerossa.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts