Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
1999 OBS 2.2l
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hello rs25! My name is Fraser and I am currently a nursing student at the University of New Hampshire in Durham, NH. I grew up in northern New Hampshire and have been here my whole life. I started out mechanically by working in a machine shop for five years as a summer job which progressed to working on motorcyles and now cars. I've had a 93 Impreza wagon, 02 Impreza OBS, and an 02 VW Jetta.

Im recently back to Subaru, as I bought a 1999 Impreza OBS white/grey 5-speed with 104k from another member on here. The car came with some tasteful mods including KYB GR2 struts and Tanabe NF210 springs (5k on them), Group N Tophats all around, 17mm rear swaybar, ganzflow intake, 2005 WRX front seats, amber corners, and a very loud custom exhaust.

The plan is to build a good looking, entertaining, and functional vehicle that I can tow friends behind on sleds, haul everyone up to the mountains to ski, and rip around in whenever. Hope you enjoy the build!

Current Mod List

Engine/Drivetrain
Ganzflow style intake
Grounding kit
Short throw shifter

Intake/Exhaust
Stock header/cats
02 WRX Catback Exhaust with custom rotated flange

Suspension/Breaks
KYB GR2 struts
Group N Top Hats
Tanabe NF 210 springs
17mm Rear Sway bar

Exterior
v5/6 front bumper skin/beam
v5/6 front lip
Clear corner lights
v5/6 side skirts
v5/6 spats
RS front grille w/ 2.5RS badge
JDM Tails
Pin stripe delete
JDM Power Folding Mirrors
JDM Roof rails

Interior
Stock seats

Wheels/Tires
Legacy GT wheels w/ Hankook Ventus evo v12 tires
Subaru "turtle shell" wheels with winter tires

*Waiting to be Installed...
STi Key

Thank yous...
I greatly appreciate the community here on rs25 as well as the Subaru community as a whole so far. I have met many different helpful and honest people since joining rs25 and am enjoying where this is going! Big thanks to Iarrobino10 for the help and parts along the way!

Day 1 with the 1999 Impreza Outback Sport Wagon

Current Looks

Problems...
- Rust....
- Evap cel
- "wiggle" on the highway, prob diff bushings

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 OBS 2.2l
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why thank you :) I'm glad to be back with a subie, I dabbled with dropped VW's for a little and....:crazy:

·
Registered
1999 OBS 2.2l
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much are the LGT wheels? i'm in love with them
I'm not really sure, they came with the car when I got it. I definitely like the look of the wheels with the OBS, gives it a little more edge but still keeping an oem look.

·
Registered
1999 OBS 2.2l
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, the title mentions skimobile... I related that to snow mobile, which made me think some serious winter equipment.

I'll just be going now...

:run:
oh hahaha I gotcha, I've seen that thing for sale before. I've compared my old impreza to a snowmobile before, towing friends on sleds before the road gets ploughed, I'll put up a video soon.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1999 OBS 2.2l
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, first things first I had to take the 802subaru.com stickers off as I'm born an' raised NH and was lookin to rep, so a few weeks ago I swapped some stickers

and put this on the side and top of the hatch glass. A friend in the area had made a few and I manage to snag two for cheap.

·
Registered
1999 OBS 2.2l
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last week I decided to investigate why the rear wiper wasn't working. I took apart the housing and took the bar connecting the two gears off, then tuned on the wiper to find that the motor still worked! I just had to take a 22mm on a bar and gently break the rust hold on the wiper gear. Works great now, pretty pumped I didn't have to buy a new wiper motor.

·
Registered
1999 OBS 2.2l
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The other night I decided to swap out my bumper for the rs v5/6 bumper I had picked up recently. Incredibly easy to do, much more so than the jetta, just the 2 bolts on either side under the hood, the connection by each fender, and two screws on the underside. It's getting cold unfortunately and the parking lot wrenching is not fun after the sun goes down :(. Had to hammer the new bumper beam to take out a bend, but other than that it was an easy instal and looks decent, needs paint though.

Still have some fitment issues to fix...and forgot to plug in the blinkers, but I'll do it at some point

*Edit....blinkers plugged in

·
Registered
1999 OBS 2.2l
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
looking amazing! Makes me happy that it went to a good owner. that bumper looks awesome.
Thanks man! Still gotta put on skirts, fogs, and get some mudflaps. Maybe this weekend, but idk, I've got crazy exams next week to study for. Been thinking of biting the bullet and doing a 251 swap over winter break.

·
Registered
1999 OBS 2.2l
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's my trustworthy companion hardly helping at all

This is what my exhaust status looked like last week....

I liked the subaru growl on the start up, but after driving for more than 20 min on the highway it got pretty loud and annoying. Plus, the can on the back was a bit too big. I wouldn't mind the noise so much if I were driving an STI swap....but I'm driving a 2.2 so I wanted something a little less attention grabbing. Here was my new plan, stock headers, cats (180k on them, yeah I know they won't work), and an 02 WRX cat back. Made the adapter piece last week and installed this get up, I'll put up pics later of it assembled.

·
Registered
1999 OBS 2.2l
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
alright....so the car is in the shop as I've run into a little bit of a bind....the cel is still pending (not in readiness mode) after putting 200 miles on it. I'm thinking it could be an O2 sensor problem not allowing the system to run through the rest of the checks and thus not putting the car in readiness and displaying the check engine light.

So...I brought the car to close family friend who has a shop. I'm having him test the O2 sensors and cats/replace whats needed and slap a sticker on it. I just don't have the time to play CEL games right now between school and my 60 day temporary inspection running out in a week and a half.

Here is a dirty dirty dirty pic of the flange adapter, I'll get a better pic up when I get a chance.

·
Registered
1999 OBS 2.2l
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
got a box in the mail the other day from JDMGary! excited to install some new parts....after my exams :bonk:

found this to be interesting....guessing the box was used by someone else prior...or it's an interesting way to sell a product hahaha :blol:

·
Registered
1999 OBS 2.2l
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, looking for opinions...I've got side skirts that are black (unpainted/the flat black color?) and painted rear spats the color of my bumpers/side paint. Do I paint the skirts? Paint the spats? or throw it all on as is? Not around the car for a couple of days, but when i am I'll tape stuff up and see how it looks. Open to ideas and opinions.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts