Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So.... this is not my first build (thats here: EJ18t, another success, homegrown/no shop. - NASIOC) and it is not my first hybrid build but it is my most effective yet. This is an ej257 short block with EJ25D 4 cam heads and many many other mods. I will be posting pics and stats...etc etc in the next few weeks but I will say this is ridiculous! I spin all four tires through first and second :) Never thought I would see such results!

1 2008 EJ257 STI short block (rebuilt from three bad ones)

1 1999 Set of Legacy EJ25D 4 cam NA heads (Love the solid lifters, and composite gears)

1 JDM B4 Turbo Legacy Intake Manifold

2 1999 Factory Fuel Rail Return Sides (Tee off the supply and return to
these, try to keep equal lengths)

2 2002 WRX Fuel Pressure Regulators (Keep the vacuum tubes as short as possible, it helps response of the fuel lines)

4 2004 STI Fuel Injectors

1 Walbro 255 Fuel Pump

1 1992 Turbo Legacy Crossmember

1 2004 STI Water Pump

1 2004 STI VF39 Stock (not rebuilt) Turbo

1 1997 JDM WRX Turbo Air Box Piping

1 2002 WRX Stock Intercooler (soon to be 2004 STI intercooler)

1 Ebay aluminum BOV (loud, show off valve)

4 2004 STI Stock NGK Iridium Spark Plugs

1 2002 WRX Ebay Header/Up Pipe (welded in EGT bung and welded shut adjustment)

1 Perrin Lightened Crank Pully and Flywheel

1 ACT 6 Puck WRX Sprung Clutch

1 Clutchmaster WRX Pressure plate (i think stage 3)

1 2001 RS Transmission, JDM LSD rear Differential, WRX Shifter, and cable clutch (Can’t adjust hydraulic and better workout)

1 Custom 3.5” Turboback Stainless Exhaust W/Blitz Nurspec Muffler (you could almost climb inside)

1 ???? 7lb WRX factory wastegate

1 Greddy Emanage Blue (Formerly Apexi Sitc And Safc but needed more control)

1 Greddy Profec E01 Boost Controller

1 Set of NGK 8mm custom plug wires and soon to add MSD ignition coil (temporarily 97 impreza coil adapted to work on 95)

3 Apex ELII System Meters/Controller (Fuel Pressure, Boost, Pyrometer)

2 AEM Guages (Wide Band O2, Voltage) Voltmeter because I moved battery to the trunk

1 Ebay Knock Meter and Factory Sensor (Stopped working caused me to blow an engine, stole my friends meter for now)

1 Generic Ground harness Kit for the engine to the body

1 Redtop Gel Cell Battery and 4 Gauge cables (Little heavier but more reliable power and no corrosion in my trunk)

1 JDM WRX Large radiator, high pressure cap, and Jeggs custom in hose radiator cap adapter

1 JDM STI Carbon Fiber Front Strut Bar

1 97 impreza wagon dull pump washer bottle used as intercooler sprayer

1 Cusco Aluminum Rear Strut Bar

4 Hella 500 rally lights

1 Set of JDM 93 WRX Aluminum Hood, Front Bumper, Rear Trunk, and Spoiler

4 GC8 KYB AGX Adjustable Struts, Tenabe Lowering Springs (Sooo stiff)

2 Ebay Aluminum Adjustable Camber Pillow Ball Mounts

2 2002 WRX Whiteline 22mm Adjustable Antisway Bars, Front and Rear

1 Ebay Frame Support Beam (center of the car, mounts to the seat belt bolts perfectly)

4 Ebay fully adjustable rear lateral links (kind of heavy)

4 2002 WRX Brake caliper and rotors front and back (should’ve used steel braided hose)

4 Dunlop Direzza Z1 Sport tires (Good tires, Great grip, Strong Side Walls, Awesome Price)

4 2002 Wrx Rims previously legacy gt rims (have a set of 2011 BBS STI rims but they are different offset)

1 JDM Nardi Steering Wheel

1 Ebay Turbo Blanket (works great)

1 1995 oil pan with turbo return line welded to it and oil feed steel braided hose/connector from engine

2 Rear Ladder braces (Not yet installed)

Lots and Lots and Lots of various Hoses and fittings!!!!!

1 Fire extinguisher (for when it all goes BOOM, and it will because you can’t know your limits until you’ve exceeded them, I just hope I get it on video)

Infinite help from my friends especially my friend Alan, he opened his own shop and taught me how to rebuild a block from scratch (literally). If you live in the orlando area and want a very good Subaru mechanic and for cheap Call 407-982-0888 and ask for Alan.

Currently running 18lbs of boost on pump gas, when the STI intercooler and MSD coils are in I will turn it up to 20lbs. I will be taking it to the 1/8th mile track tomorrow but dont worry I will granny shift so as not to leave my tranny on the track. I will also be dynoing it as soon as the sti intercooler etc are in. So far this is the fastest build I have ever built, and the fastest Subaru that I am aware of in olando (atleast 1st through 4th gear, after that I am in overdrive and it is too much strain on the engine for my likeing), I easily took a Z06 Corvette the other day and as long as I feather the gas allowing the tires to hook up Im sure I will continue to upset alot more people lol. There is one big problem with this build, it tries to kill you in a turn :) I built a high compression forced induction, large piston engine with ALL lightened pullies, gears, flywheel....etc (like a circuit race car kinda, I am more concerned with response than top end power), and it is tuned as such as that until boost kicks in timing is advanced and fuel is 14.7:1 A/F but when boost kicks in it moves to 12:1 A/F 0 points timing and works its way to 10:1 A/F -15 ish points timing at the very last moment as well as I set the emanage to dump fuel inbetween shifts and at no throttle high RPM moments (TERRIBLE gas mileage), this effectively cools the egt's down two fold. All that combined with the aggressive N/A cams this is the most throttle happy car ever with no knock (except in 5th gear like normal). My only concerns are the heads because they are used and interference so I am afraid it will surrender eventually but they are also the special ingredent in this build and I am taking the risk for the rest of you. Ill keep you all posted as often as I can. I am assuming the HP will be in the 300's, just hope i dont start breaking stuff too soon. Everyone keep there fingers crossed for me.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Nice, I'm wondering how the n/a cams work with a turbo setup. I have a set of ej25d heads as well and am trying to decide on using those instead of my ej20k turbo heads. I thought the intake and exhaust runners were a little smaller on the ej25d?

Which:
-headgaskets
-pistons
-rods
are you using? I'm running one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Knock-gauge...pt=Race_Car_Parts&vxp=mtr&hash=item19c6583b6b knock sensors. The leds are bright and it has adjustable sensitivity. I'm using an oem knock sensor. I've had it for a couple of years so far with success.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice, I'm wondering how the n/a cams work with a turbo setup. I have a set of ej25d heads as well and am trying to decide on using those instead of my ej20k turbo heads. I thought the intake and exhaust runners were a little smaller on the ej25d?

Which:
-headgaskets
-pistons
-rods
are you using?
I doubt they are smaller bit anything is possible. I did not have access to turbo heads to compare but I had such a good results with my ej18t build with the original cams and then dissapointing results with turbo cams. So I decided to try this set up and it is awesome. But again I am all about throttle response, no turbo lag, and power to weight ratio ....etc. I have no patience lol. As for parts I only used factory parts. So I probably won't ever go pass 350hp but until I get better find tires, brakes, and transmission I wouldn't be able to use any more power.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
So which headgaskets did you use, what year car/motor did you buy them for? I'm assuming your running the original turbo rods and pistons from the ej257 then.

·
Registered
1993 Subaru Impreza L 5smt AWD
716 Posts
Really nice V1/4 front end. Trying to find one of those hoods on the net is proving to be difficult and expensive. Looks like an awesome build plan/setup. I will definitely be watching for updates.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
97+ D heads are much smaller than 96/K heads. Don't use them. The overlap profile is bad.

I need the source on that damn 90* silicone bend
Hahahaha don't use them?! They're already in the car and working great besides I'm running 18lbs now and its fantastic power delivery. NO TURBO LAG. Do some research you will see that sti cans have over lap (not as much) just like the eh25d cans do because over lap allows you to spool a bigger turbo earlier but yes you do sacrifice a bit of top end. But like I said I am all about Useful hp. This build is the best of NA and turbo combined. We will just have to agree to disagree and I will keep posting my results.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really nice V1/4 front end. Trying to find one of those hoods on the net is proving to be difficult and expensive. Looks like an awesome build plan/setup. I will definitely be watching for updates.
It is a pricey hood but I found it locally for a good price and so I just went all in with the jdm bumper, wing, etc. There are cheaper steel versions but that kind of defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1/8th mile results!

Zoom in on the photo I added a dialogue explaining the track tickets.

All in all it went good but the hodge podge ignition coil I am temporarily using let me down, and yet surprisingly I was still slipping tires on that sticky track lol! I will go back to the track when I have changed the coil, intercooler, and dynoed it. My current challenge is how the "F" do I bypass the redline. Its set to 6000 and this build can easily do 7500. Any ideas? Im gonna start by bypassing main relays, and fuel relays etc.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
New Intercooler and oil breather replumbed! Barely fits! 2008 STI intercooler.

Should have my MSD ignition coil installed this week. So glad not to have oil going in to my turbo anymore and turned up the boost to 20 psi now. If all goes well should dyno the car this week.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.