Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
'98, RS-T
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A '98 2.5 DOHC for $150 - not bad..

Looks like cylinder #1 is extremely clean...hum....

Corresponding cylinder head

I was told by the seller that this engine had a slight knock. When I came upon it, the engine was already out. The head gaskets are brand new, so my guess is that anti-freeze got in the oil/cylinder from a bad head gasket, shop installed new head gaskets, changed oil, and the owner drove for a little bit and noticed the knocking sound.

Anyways, this engine will be a winter build up.

·
Registered
'98, RS-T
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I splattered the block today (the 14 mm allen held me up) and number one rod big end had no bearing material. The corresponding rod and crank throw was hammered. Also the thrust bearing was pretty beat up. Is this common for a phase 1 block?

Block and heads are fine.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
So I splattered the block today (the 14 mm allen held me up) and number one rod big end had no bearing material. The corresponding rod and crank throw was hammered. Also the thrust bearing was pretty beat up. Is this common for a phase 1 block?

Block and heads are fine.
Looks like it was ran pretty hard with a stiff clutch, or maybe low oil pressure.

·
Registered
'98, RS-T
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Man where has the time gone! Anyway block & heads are clean and I got another crank and a rod back in June. Some progress photos.

Block has been bored to 100.00 mm and needed 0.006" milled of the deck surface to get trued up. The heads needed 0.004" milled to true up the mating surface. I went with Wiseco pistons, ACL race bearings, and Cometic 0.040" head gaskets.

Block is together and I finished gaping 3 of the 4 piston ring sets.

A lot more work with this engine when it comes to blueprinting.

·
Banned
NOT ENOUGH SUBIES
740 Posts
A '98 2.5 DOHC for $150 - not bad..

Looks like cylinder #1 is extremely clean...hum....

Corresponding cylinder head

I was told by the seller that this engine had a slight knock. When I came upon it, the engine was already out. The head gaskets are brand new, so my guess is that anti-freeze got in the oil/cylinder from a bad head gasket, shop installed new head gaskets, changed oil, and the owner drove for a little bit and noticed the knocking sound.

Anyways, this engine will be a winter build up.

Auto part Automotive engine part Engine

:drool:
Let's do some port work for you !

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 Impreza L Brilliant Red
2,113 Posts
Man. What a great find. Only 150 bucks, shittt. Well spent. Looks like new lol!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts