Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: I got in touch with a seller, currently working out the finer details but we're both good to go. Thanks to everyone who has taken an interest in my thread.

Tax season is near so I thought I'd post this thread early. I'm looking for a stock/mostly stock 2.5 RS Coupe with a manual trans. Although I'd like a swap I certainly cannot afford it at the moment. Once those tax checks start getting sent out I should be looking at around $5k, maybe more. I know $5k won't get me anything too nice and I'm not expecting it to, but I do need a car that runs well. Not all that interested in how it looks just as long as it runs well mechanically as it will be my daily driver. I plan on starting to take classes sometime this year so I'll need something that can tackle the Chicago winter for the next few years. I don't want to commit to schooling until I get a car that won't get stuck in the snow on the way to class.

To any potential sellers, I can assure you that your car will be well maintained and taken care of. My last RS had a salvaged title and I came across it at a used car lot in Elmhurst. It was on this site before (I found the thread by googling the VIN) but no one wanted to buy it due to the Impreza L headlights and L bumper, it was obvious to everyone on that thread that it had been salvaged and in a crash. I took the car in anyway and immediately did a brake job (pads, rotors, bleed), a tune-up, replaced the trans oil and diff oil with Lucas gear oil, and fitted it with Bridgestone Grid tires. Over the course of 5 years I replaced the head gaskets, added a full set of KYB struts, got stock springs for the rear as the car came with lowering springs (it barked over bumps), then replaced the valve cover gaskets, fixed the AC, replaced the clutch flywheel and bearing when it began to slip, shortly after the clutch fork punctured at the pivot so I had to pull the trans again to install the new fork, while I was at it I replaced the clutch master and slave, she ran good for a while until 2nd gear shattered, the shop that did the trans work stripped the bolts on the front hubs so I replaced those out of pocket, and 4 months later the timing went and the motor blew. At that point I had no money left to fix the motor so I had to sell the shell. I tried my best to take care of the car but in the end it seemed like it was destined to die. Since then I've been driving a Saturn up until last month when I got T-boned on my way to work during one of our lovely Chicago winter storms. The damage wasn't too bad, mostly cosmetic, but since the car was worth so little my insurance company totaled it out. Driving that PoS made me realize how much I miss my Subi, and although it caused me problems, the good times greatly outweighed the bad. I'm ready to get behind the wheel of another RS, compared to it everything else in my price range is absolute garbage.

Oddly enough I did run into my old RS at another dealership in Mount Prospect while searching for a new one... though I wish I hadn't. The kid who bought it off me painted the silver RS rims black, by the time I saw it again the paint was chipping off. I told the sales guy that it was my old car and he nearly s**t bricks, and when I asked the him if I could take it for one last drive he told me that the clutch outright didn't work. :bonk: Seeing my old car in that shape felt like running into an old girlfriend that got caught in an abusive relationship. I'm not sure what happened to it after that, if I had to guess I'd say it probably got parted out.

I'll bump this thread once a month to update my budget. I hope to get behind the wheel sooner rather than later.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump.
Got my insurance money, borrowed some cash from my sister, and now I'm sitting on $6500 waiting for the right car to come my way.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Want to come to Colorado for one?

$4k as she sits, but needs a clutch due to throw-out bearing: FS: 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS

Be warned- the wife is threatning to trade her for a BRAT if she doesn't sell soon....
I'll definitely be keeping this in mind, but right now I'm talking to a guy via PM about a car I'm hoping to get from him. I've gotten some messages lately but only one of them seems like it would be within my budget. As it stands I only have about $7000 to my name and that would have to cover the airplane ticket out, the cost of the car, registration, taxes, insurance, the drive back home to Chicago, and any work that the car might need.

If nothing happens with the guy I'm trading PMs with then I'll be looking your way to see what we could work out with that clutch/bearing issue. If I do take you up on your offer, then I'll need the car to be able to make the trip back to Chicago. I don't want to make any promises since nothing is yet set in stone, but I would be willing to pay extra if you were able to get that bearing and clutch fixed. As of right now though I'll have to wait to see what I hear from the other seller. I can't commit to your offer yet, but it's definitely something that I'm interested in. Thanks for reaching out to me here, I'll let you know what happens in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts