Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
97 2.2 Brighton
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
15lb Braille battery came in today, fixed wiring, and tomorrow the last of the parts need to drive her should be in. Then it’s time to drive the piss out of her and see what breaks!

·
Registered
97 2.2 Brighton
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Cars running and driving but having an idle problem. I’m thinking it’s the ecu not knowing what to do with the manual trans. Also had a problem with the GD aluminum radiator hoses and fans so I ordered and installed Mishimoto electric fans, overflow tank, and hoses. Tomorrow I’ll be taking out the lower control arms and sending them out to get powdercoated because the end of this week I have some more Whiteline goodies coming in!

·
Registered
97 2.2 Brighton
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Went to install the new Whiteline outter tie rod ends and the inners have a little play so I’ve decided while I’m working in the area to order new OEM inner tie rods, wheel bearings and hubs. The hub assembly will also be sent out for sandblasting and powder coating. Funny how one ripped ball joint boot has gotten me here.:bonk:

·
Registered
97 2.2 Brighton
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Keep it up. Thats a nice coupe, it can really grow with you
Yeah I've already decided this car will never be sold that why I'm doing everything on it!

Finally got a new (to me) white RS hood in near perfect condition for $120 today! :)

Installed the Whiteline LCA Inner front and rear bushings Part #KCA319A & W51709A along with their Roll Center Bump Steer Kit Part #KCA313. I'm really becoming a fan of their stuff and their customer service is phenomenal. I called them and spoke about the different bushing durometer for about an hour and they were super helpful.

I ended up sand blasting and spraying the steering knuckles myself and they came out great! I didn't go with OEM for the wheel bearings and hubs to save a little money so I got the Koyo kit off eBay for $117. They went in smooth and they seem like they're good quality but I supposed only time will tell. I also sand blasted and painted the dust shields and brake calipers just to complete the look in there until I upgrade to the 4/2 pot setup.

Last part to the front was the inner tie rods. Went OEM Part #34140AA030 and reused the boots that were on there since they weren't cracked or ripped. Then sealed them up with Moog Part# 3416 Metal CV Boot Clamp on the inner and some hose clamps I had laying around on the outter.

I'll be torquing everything down to spec today and going over the entire car before driving it to get a wheel alignment hopefully next Monday.

Now to just figure out what I'm going to use to post pictures on here so I can flood you guys:naughty:

·
Registered
1995 impreza with a wrx swap
29 Posts
That sounds very nice. I'm excited to see pics of it with the new hood on it. Are you painting it? Or just leaving it white for now?

·
Registered
97 2.2 Brighton
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Haven't been on here in a very very long time. Some major updates are full Whiteline suspension and bushings, custom rad support and the car now has fender flares and Hankook rs4 255s squared on it.

What is everyone using to upload pictures now? For most update to date photos I have an Instagram page for the car: GC8 2.2l Build (@gc22rs) • Instagram photos and videosgl

·
Registered
97 2.2 Brighton
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Just finished piecing together my rear disc brake conversion. Power stop calipers, centric pads and rotors, stop tech SS lines, gc8 wrx non abs proportioning valve, forester hub assemblies, and Motul 600 brake fluid. Haven't checked out the hubs and bearings yet so I may need to replace them.

·
Registered
'96 OBS
235 Posts
Clicked through to instagram and it looks real good. I'll probably be adding a metric butt-ton of whiteline stuff pretty soon to finish up my suspension. And by soon I mean, probably next year. I think most people are using imgur for images these days. They seem to happily support hotlinking images.

·
Registered
97 2.2 Brighton
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
One bearing was shot so I replaced that and the studs. Everything is all back together and I drove the car out of the garage on Friday! Next week ill be going for an alignment and bringing it by a local Subaru performance shop to just give everything a once over before I start abusing it.

·
Registered
2008 Impreza 2.5i
3 Posts
Cool build! I just started a 1997 Brighton build too. I'm hoping I can learn a lot from the problems you've already tackled.

Where did you get the "gc8 wrx non abs proportioning valves?" I have a junkyard rear disc conversion, but I'm pretty sure I need to add these.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts