Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey I was trying to figure out what short shifter (not full linkage) would be good to squeeze into budget.

Now as far as I understand it, the one Larry offers at Imprezars.com is a good kit and people are happy with it. The roller bearing kit, one gentlemen said had problems with the bearing chiming as his revs climbed. Anyone else had these issues? Otherwise, it seems like a very nice deal.

The Kartboy shifter and bushing combo is only about 20 dollars more than the roller bearing kit, and seems to be a solid setup as well.

Are there any other shifters that I should consider if Im looking in this price range which those two I mentioned land in (~100bux)? Anything I should take into consideration??

EDIT: I also wanted to inquire, the Kartboy website advertises that their shifter/bushing combo kit is only applicable for 97-01 RSs. Is my 96 Brighton somehow staggeringly different? Would be a waste to order and then have to send back b/c it didnt fit quite right. And while we're on it, does anyone know if Larry's IMPREZArs kit is M.Y. specific? Or just a universal Impreza short throw? Thanks again!

Have a good weekend all,
-C.D.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
regarding fitment, i doubt there is a problem but an email to the manufacturor of said product would probably be the easiest way to know for sure. beyond that, i'm of the opinion that a shortshifter is the same as any other shortshifter. buy whatever you want.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
I have the setup from Larry, and am very happy with it. I've never had the bearing making noise like that, maybe he didn't have the nut quite tight enough? Anyways, it's a very nice piece, short, solid throws (compared to stock), with the knob still being up high enough that it's an easy reach. Oh, and I'm 99% sure it will fit in you 96, but not completely sure. Heck, e-mail Larry, or someone over there at imprezars.com, they are always helpful.

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS Silver
333 Posts
i have the Kartboy lever (hopefully getting bushings for christmas) and I really like it. No problems. Has a real notchy feel, which I like.

I'm sure both Tom @ kartboy and Larry would be very helpful in answering your question on MY.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I have a 96 and can tell you that the linkage at the shift lever is backwards. You'll have like-matching ends between the shifter and rod. I suppose you could find a rod from a later trans and go that way, but I'm not positive it'd work.

Then again, with enough effort, anything will work!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Storm, you are correct. Anything before 97 has the old design where those two points are switched.
Thus, short shifter (from anyone) will not fit a 96 or older Impreza.

2 solutions to this:
1) Get a new linkage from a 97 or newer trans.
2) Get a new trans
3) Forget it ever existed.

For me, time for my engine and tranny overhaul is so close I think I might just wait to put it into the newer tranny rather than hunt for a linkage for this 96. Argh....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts