Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'01 RS 2.5 Silverthorne
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The doughnut gasket on my stock cat-back was absolutely useless, I had to chip it off with a screwdriver layer by layer. Does the OBX catback accept a doughnut gasket? Does a new one come with it? If not, can I cut the protruding part off the cat-side flange and sand it flat and use a flat gasket?
Thanks,

-Rich

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
autofx said:
The doughnut gasket on my stock cat-back was absolutely useless, I had to chip it off with a screwdriver layer by layer. Does the OBX catback accept a doughnut gasket? Does a new one come with it? If not, can I cut the protruding part off the cat-side flange and sand it flat and use a flat gasket?
Thanks,

-Rich
You need a new donut gasket. Do it right or don't do it.

·
Registered
'01 RS 2.5 Silverthorne
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Did it come with bolts to bolt midpipe to axelback? Because I've NEVER seen a catback of any kind come with a donut and spring bolts to bolt the midpipe to the cat section.

·
Registered
'01 RS 2.5 Silverthorne
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the middle gasket was there, but it was shipped on the flange held there with loose bolts and the ends are torn up. The thing I'm really pissed about was the nearly 3 weeks delivery time. But it's here now and I can't wait to get it in

·
Registered
'01 RS 2.5 Silverthorne
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got it all on after a $40 trip to the dealer for 1 gasket 2 bolts 2 springs and 2 nuts - ABSOFREAKINLUTELYRIDICULOUS

Now I have a new problem, since my cat section now has a nice hole I have a leak that makes it sound like crap.

I have a friend with an STi that replaced his exhaust completely, and he says I can have his if it fits. I know I've seen guys with the WRX cat on their RS but what about the STi cat section? is that a direct bolt on? What to do with second O2 sensor?
Any help or fixit ideas would be appreciated

-Rich

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
totally different exhausts, not sure how you messed up your cat but just find a guy with a welder and do a quick touch up job

·
Registered
'01 RS 2.5 Silverthorne
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not the cat but a rusted part of the pipe where the cat flange is. A buddy hit it with a mallet a few times trying to get a stubborn nut to let go.

I knew it was too good to be true. So my options are:

1. Buy someone's stock cat section
2. Buy an aftermarket high flow cat (suggestions?????)
3. ????

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
and why isnt it bringing it to a shop with a welder and see if they can repair it not an option?

what year is your car? miles? cats are warranty items that can be replaced if its broken

·
Registered
'01 RS 2.5 Silverthorne
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh but it is an option, the one I'm probably going to end up doing actually. I'm just worried the STi cat with a custom fabbed J pipe on the end (like Garret's WRX cat) is going to be too big and cause turbulence in the exhaust, since I've read 8,000 posts about how STi exhaust is too big in diameter.

For now I'm going to use exhaust putty to close the hole because the leak is pissing me off

As for the car, its a 2001 RS with 101,000 miles and the cat is fine, the hole is in the pipe between the second cat and the flange that goes to the midpipe, so no warranty coverage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts