Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I never thought I'd be making a thread in this section...

Anyway, I have been spending all my time with this amazing girl. I told her I was into her before her baby came but I also told her she obviously didn't need the stress and that was the last thing I wanted to do.

So almost 2 months later we've been hanging out almost everyday (only 2 days in the last 5 weeks we hadn't) and this weekend I am inviting her over for a quiet night in just the two of us.

My question starts here...

On this quiet night in I am going to offer to cook dinner for her. Should be cheaper, quieter, nicer, and easier on her than going to another restaurant. The question now is what to make. I am not an excellent chef, but I am capable enough in the kitchen. I was thinking some Italian dish with lots of vegetables (can't remember the name of one specifically) and maybe add some crab meat, she is a big fan.

If anyone has good suggestions of food that isn't incredibly hard to make but delicious please let me know!

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
I make a dish that is very simple because you just use any pasta you want, alfredo sauce, a meat (i use chicken but you can use crab), and then any vegetable you want (i use brocoli but you can use whatever)

boil the pasta
cook crab meat
cook vegetables
mix it all together with alfredo sauce
very simple, and very tasty...

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
My patented Italian dinner:

Ingredients:

Fresh checken - 1 or 2 skinless breasts. NOT FROZEN.
Contadini fresh pasta - tortilini, fetticini, or angel hair (my favorite)
Contadini fresh Alfredo sauce
Lettuce
Tomatoes (2)
Avacado (2)
Garlic (6-8 cloves)
Olive oil
Button mushrooms - (little brown ones) - WHOLE.
Green pepper
Scallions
Fresh grated parmesean cheese

Recipe:
Wash everything except the garlic. Cut up the lettuce, tomatoes, avacado, scallions, and green pepper. Put salad bits in a bowl. Do NOT cut up mushrooms, just cut off their stems.

Boil water, cook pasta according to directions, add 1 tablespoon olive oil

Heat alfredo sauce in saucepan. Should take 3-5 minutes over medium high heat.

Cube (cut it up into little pieces, about 1/4" to 1/2" thick at most) chicken. Over medium-high heat, melt about 2 tablespoons of butter into non-stick skillet, add chicken. Cook chicken until cooked all the way through, or slightly browned on the outside.

Peel garlic cloves. Put garlic through a food processor or dice into smallest size possible. On medium-high, heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a small non-stick skillet, toss in garlic. Using a spatula, stir every 5-10 seconds. After about 30-60 seconds, you will notice the garlic rapidly browning. (You have about 5-10 SECONDS to get this right otherwise it will BURN) Toss in the mushrooms. Saute for about 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.

Put chicken, pasta, and sauce in mixing bowl. Stir it up. Dump it on top of salad, spoon mushrooms and garlic on top of it. Garnish with parmesean cheese and pepper to taste.

Voila! :D

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
that sounds good...i might have to make it for myself!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mmmm good suggestions so far...

The name I couldn't think of was Pasta Primevera (spell?) but I would add crab meat, and possibly some chicken as well... keep the suggestions coming though since Primevera is a lot of prep work, and I can offer her a couple options.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
you could always go to boston market and get chicken and what not...then just take it and put it on serving plates...she will never know... :rolleyes:

EDIT - after i wrote that i realized...BOSTON Market is probably a chain only in the BOSTON area...

you can get a whole chicken dinner that someone would believe is home cooked

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
Do you want something light or heavy?

You can prep most of the stuff prior and then cook it that day. Altough when I entertain they usually like watching me prep and cook :)

And a word of advice, cook it once for yourself before you make it for her ;)

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
And how about desert? I have a recipe for a kick ass peach cheese cake that is so damn easy to make :)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The way it plays out in my head we are hanging out while I cook.

I don't know if I want to tell her exactly what's going on or try to get her strung along step by step starting with the shopping. Keep her in some mild suspense until it all comes together.

Light or heavy, doesn't matter as long as it's a full meal.

Desert, I was actually just thinking about that. I know lately she's been craving orange sherbet and vanilla ice cream but maybe a cheese cake to go along with it could be good... I'll have to find out if she likes cheese cake.

Also trying to think of a way to make it romantic, but not awkwardly so. We aren't dating... I would like to be, but everything has to go real slow. Like I said in the first post, we spend a lot of time together and I get real good vibes from her all the time. But as of now we aren't dating so I think the candlelit dinner thing won't work. I will set up the dining room table, clean out the room, make it look nice... but I don't know beyond that. I like to personalize this shit. I bought her tulips for mothers day but I don't want to over play the flower thing (like if I had some and told her to take them home or something...).

Edit - Oh, and I have overhead speakers installed in my kitchen and dining room so I'll have some soft jazz or some other background music going.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Wally Kincaid said:
No, we have Boston Markets in NY... but I wouldn't do that. The whole point is to do something nice for the girl I'm into, not lie haha.
i was kidding about that...just trying to make you look like an ass hole :)

....if she only knew all the work you were putting into it...SHOW HER THE FORUMS!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha... well my mentality is always to make things seem perfect. Sort of like going to a nice hotel. You want nice food, nice service, the room clean, but you don't want to see the workers.

I'm just hoping I don't see her today and she says she's busy all weekend haha. I don't think she will be but my mind never lets me be at peace or happy.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
I love to cook so Its a normal occurrence for me to cook for my date, I do it a lot for the first date

I usually just tell her what I am making and invite her over. I shop alone because I know what I need to get and I just want to get it and get out. I have everything defrosted by the time she gets there. Sometimes (depends on the girl) I "forget" to get something and have her bring it , something simple that can be picked up at a 711.

Ill have something started thats quick like bruschetta to eat while I cook (I am just finishing as she gets there). Then I start on the main course and they usually offer to help (kind of one of my tests, lol) Ill give her something to do, if she asks, just make sure its not cutting meat or something that is gross or make her hands smell. Ill taste the sauce (and as long as its good :lol:) ill ask her to taste it and tell me if it needs anything. When its done either she or I will set the table sit down and eat.

They whole time just be relaxed and confident. Look at a cookbook if you need to. And like I said I highly highly recommend making it for yourself first.

I have a whole bunch of really good light healthy Italian recipes, Ill get you some when I get home from work.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent sounds good, thanks.

This is the first time I "say it aloud" but a lot of the times when we are hanging out I feel almost like we are a strong couple, or maybe even just married. We do everything together and shes sweet about it all. Washing the baby, then she'll feed her and I'll burp her.

I was mowing her lawn for her and she cut me off outside and had made me some lemonade, it made my day really.

I know sappy cheesy shit, but I like it all and makes me feel good.

That got a bit off topic but I guess it kinda tells where we stand, this isn't like a first date scenario.

·
un-Banned by RS25.com
2000 SRP 2.5RS Coupe
2,164 Posts
MattB said:
you could always go to boston market and get chicken and what not...then just take it and put it on serving plates...she will never know... :rolleyes:

EDIT - after i wrote that i realized...BOSTON Market is probably a chain only in the BOSTON area...

you can get a whole chicken dinner that someone would believe is home cooked
Heh. That idea reminds me of Mrs. Doubtfire.

I'm totally going to get Boston Market for lunch today now. Half chicken = yum.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R
219 Posts
A nicely cooked chicken parm is always good. It can either suck, or be great. I usually dont eat chicken parm, but damn, did I have the best ever at Cheesecake Factory.

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts
Best place to look for things is www.foodtv.com

Good suggestions there. You can even find meals that only take 30mins for the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
RSTI
6,844 Posts
+1 for Food TV Alton Brown FTMFW! His show is pretty bad ass too. Their website is nice you can reference shows and even save up to 50 something recipes in a profile for free. I'm a fan of eating and cooking for people when I have the time.

cheers

garrett

1 - 20 of 36 Posts