Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some smoke colored translucent fog light covers over the summer, and when I put them on, the fogs basically became useless! I put 100 watt bulbs in and increased visibility pretty much back to normal, but when I took off the covers, the "shield" part that goes in front of the bulb had kind of browned and had a rainbow-ish effect to it. I have since taken the covers off, but I want to put them back on for the winter and have the fogs functional rather than cosmetic, but I don't really want that area to get any worse. Anybody else had this problem? I was thinking about trying to find some 75 or 80 watt bulbs, but I'm not sure if they are available. Any suggestions? Thanks!:)

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
I_H8_1.8 said:
I got some smoke colored translucent fog light covers over the summer, and when I put them on, the fogs basically became useless! I put 100 watt bulbs in and increased visibility pretty much back to normal, but when I took off the covers, the "shield" part that goes in front of the bulb had kind of browned and had a rainbow-ish effect to it. I have since taken the covers off, but I want to put them back on for the winter and have the fogs functional rather than cosmetic, but I don't really want that area to get any worse. Anybody else had this problem? I was thinking about trying to find some 75 or 80 watt bulbs, but I'm not sure if they are available. Any suggestions? Thanks!:)
suggestions? hmmm, HID foglights!

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
The heat from the 100w bulb is obviously melting the cap, which is kinda normal. You can either live with it like I do, or go lower wattage bulbs. There are 90w bulbs out there, just search around. :D

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think part of the reason they discolored is that it was so hot when I had them on in the summer. I'm thinking it probably won't get much worse now, since it's a lot colder than it was then. I may just use my 100 watt bulbs for now since I already have them, and see what I can find as far as something between 55 and 100 watts. Any suggestions for bulbs?

suggestions? hmmm, HID foglights!
You buy 'em I'll try 'em! :D

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
I_H8_1.8 said:
I think part of the reason they discolored is that it was so hot when I had them on in the summer. I'm thinking it probably won't get much worse now, since it's a lot colder than it was then. I may just use my 100 watt bulbs for now since I already have them, and see what I can find as far as something between 55 and 100 watts. Any suggestions for bulbs?

You buy 'em I'll try 'em! :D
i am planning on getting some HID driving or foglight in the future. i was at SEMA this year and i saw from two different vendors (one was Hella and the other was a taiwan company) a foglight (maybe driving light) that is HID. the whole unit for the light is so small, probably 5 times smaller than the stock foglights, but they are so freaking bright. they are probably brighter than my HID headlights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts