Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased a 2000 Impreza 2.2L Sedan for my 3 teenage kids to share. I'd like to install the OEM fog light kit on this car, but I have a few questions.

* The user @krotch on this site said "the car should already be pre-wired for the fog light kit". Is this correct? I'm hoping that I only need to get a kit for part # H4510FA220:

1997 2001 Subaru Impreza Fog Light Lamps New Genuine | eBay

* If the car isn't pre-wired, then what else would I need in addition to the kit?

* I'm seeing kits for part # H4510FA220 ranging from $158 to $199. Are these the same kits? Some kits don't have photos, so I can't tell.

* The installation instruction from the thread below only refer to 1998 and 1999 models; mine is a 2000 model. Any guesses about installations differences for the 2000 model?

(http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t138379-my97-01l-oem-fog-light-kit-install-instructions.html)

* Is this something I can install myself over a weekend? I have decades of experience building model airplanes from scratch, and I have also built and soldered many guitar pedals, but I've never done *any* automotive work. I do have all the tools I'd need.

Here's a photo of the parts in the kit:

And here's the front-end of my Subaru. It looks like my covers are for round fog lights, but the ones in the kit are more rectangular shaped.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
That kit seems to give you the plastic shroud thing to replace. So you'd just pop out the round ones from the car and put in those rectangular ones.

As for pre-wired, they started prewiring cars for things they didn't have starting in 98. Made life easier if someone wanted to get power windows, mirrors, foglights, etc later on.

I can't remember where the foglights plug in. I think near the horns. You can look there for the pre-wired wires. Someone else will have to chime in on the exact locations, since I don't remember.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, are you saying that if I buy the kit, I'm guaranteed to have everything I need (which could mean I'll have some leftover parts after I'm done)?

Would I still need to buy some kind of secondary wiring harness if the car ISN'T pre-wired?

·
Registered
'99 Impreza Outback Sport
378 Posts
All the wiring is in the car. Its plug n play. The only thing that isn't in the picture that you need is a relay that plugs in under the dash.
If you need help with installation, Let me know. I'm in the area and always happy to help. I did this fairly recently too

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the wiring is in the car. Its plug n play. The only thing that isn't in the picture that you need is a relay that plugs in under the dash.
If you need help with installation, Let me know. I'm in the area and always happy to help. I did this fairly recently too
Is this the relay (plus interior switch assembly) you're talking about? It's blocked in the other photo above.

If not, I'll need to track down a part number.

And thanks for the offer to help! Really appreciate it. If I do need help, I can pay it forward with some programming help (assuming you're not also a software developer!). :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nah that's the switch. You can get the relay from auto zone or napa for like $20. But it also might be in that box.

After a quick look at Subaru genuine parts. That kit probably does include the relay. At least the kit from subarugenuineparts does

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
That's just the switch.

Here's the switch, next to the relay. The relay box should be right under your steerign column. You'll probably need to pull part of the dash off to get to it. Think it's only a few push pins/screws to get the panel piece off.

·
Registered
378 Posts
That's just the switch.

Here's the switch, next to the relay. The relay box should be right under your steerign column. You'll probably need to pull part of the dash off to get to it. Think it's only a few push pins/screws to get the panel piece off.
That doesnt look like the relay I got for my 99 OBS. MIne was round, but the prongs do look similar.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
I believe the GCs use the round relay, while the GD+ use the rectangular ones. I don't know if they are interchangeable, but was just giving an example. Anyways, I found the part number for the round relay.

Part# 82501AA130

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe the GCs use the round relay, while the GD+ use the rectangular ones. I don't know if they are interchangeable, but was just giving an example. Anyways, I found the part number for the round relay.

Part# 82501AA130
Thanks, man!

I just sent some mojo's your way.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
Can always just email the seller and ask them what's in the box.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guess I'll have to do that. There *seem* to be a LOT of sites selling this kit, but the only one with a photo is in the OP above (eBay auction). Unfortunately, that one is also the most expensive at $199.

Here's what I've found so far (from most to least expensive), searching for "H4510FA220".

eBay - $199.95 - 1997 2001 Subaru Impreza Fog Light Lamps New Genuine | eBay

eBay - $187.15 - 1997 2001 Subaru Impreza Fog Light Lamps New Genuine | eBay

eBay - $179.96 - Subaru H4510FA220 Genuine Factory Original Fog Lamp | eBay

Subaru Parts Vendor - $159.96 - FOG LAMP for 2000 Subaru Impreza|H4510FA220

Subaru Parts Vendor - $159.96 - http://www.subarupartswebsite.com/OEMParts/subaru-153/H/H4510FA220.html

Subaru Parts Vendor - $158.60 - SubaruGenuineParts.com

Subaru Parts Vendor - $158.56 - H4510FA220: FOG LAMP KIT

·
Baby Sitter
1995 Red Bomber Impreza
2,228 Posts
The plug for the relay is above the fuse panel.

When you reach up there it will be a plug with probably white tape covering it. It may also maybe taped to another wire.

If I remember correctly the plug is pink.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Seeing as how all the kits have the same part number, I would say its safe to go with the cheapest kit. and if the cheapest one doesn't have the relay, the return it. Or just go buy the relay

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The plug for the relay is above the fuse panel.

When you reach up there it will be a plug with probably white tape covering it. It may also maybe taped to another wire.

If I remember correctly the plug is pink.
Yeah, according to Page 3 of the instructions in the OP, the plug is pink. See step #3 toward the bottom of the picture below:

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Outback Sport
110 Posts
the kit will include the relay, its probably in the little box like the others said.

just some tips when installing:

the pre-drilled/threaded holes where you bolt the brackets onto might be a little rusty, mine were. that part was kind of a pain.

also the harness does plug in near the horn. there will be a plug wrapped in electric tape. mine wasn't wrapped too well, and the inside of the plug got a bit corroded. this caused the lights not to work at first. just something to keep in mind if you have issues.

i circled the contacts, i ended up scraping them a bit with a little screw driver and it worked fine.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.2L
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. I had seen your earlier post (and picture) about the corroded plug ends.

So, since you've actually installed one of these things, are you happy w/ the results? Where I live (on a plateau on Seattle's Eastside) we have A LOT of fog. It was so thick last night around midnight that even in the neighborhoods I was paranoid going more than 5-10 MPH.

A lot of driver around here always use their fog lights whenever their main lights are on. What about you?

EDIT: What year is your car? Mine's a 2000, and the instructions I've seen online are for the MY98 and MY99. I can't imagine it's hugely different for 2000, but thought I'd ask.

·
I kill threads!
3,749 Posts
For any car with factory foglights, it's all the same. My 96 Impreza Coupe fogs are slapped together the same way as my 98 RS fogs, 01 OBS fogs, and 00 Sedan fogs.

I also find the foglights are essentially, completely worthless on our cars. They scatter more light off to the sides, so I can see further off to the sides of the roads. Something I worry about when driving through deer country. As for using them for fog, it's completely useless. Maybe if I bought different bulbs for them, but I can't imagine it'd do much.

Why I'm just looking at replacing my foglights with Hella 500 driving lights. Can't use them on a day to day basis, but when I go play on mountain roads with no traffic, having another pair of driving lights would be nice.

·
Registered
RS, GF, SSx2, STI GDB
692 Posts
Fog lights are useful when you have the yellow colored bulbs. Just leaving the white light is more of a driving light. PIAA should sell the yellow bulbs. I have to agree that the fogs are not that great- but where we live at, the extra light is useful.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts