Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 legacy w/ ej205 on the way
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a 2002 usdm ej205t that i will be putting into my legacy. the question is i will be going frountmount and i dont know what to do about the external waste gate on the tmic. do i need that? i know the turbo has one but will this be a problem? I did search but i coulnt find anything on this specific topic.

any help would be great. thanks
 

·
Registered
98 RS Now with more interior!
Joined
·
20,049 Posts
That's a by pass valve, or blow off valve, depending on what you choose to call it. You need it, just have someone weld your stock one onto the FMIC.
 

·
Registered
97 legacy w/ ej205 on the way
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ohh i dint know thats what that was, rec bov... I was worried about finding a place to mount it and how.
 

·
The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
Joined
·
5,783 Posts
Sleepypreza1227 said:
Ok i have a 2002 usdm ej205t that i will be putting into my legacy. the question is i will be going frountmount and i dont know what to do about the external waste gate on the tmic. do i need that? i know the turbo has one but will this be a problem? I did search but i coulnt find anything on this specific topic.

any help would be great. thanks
Not to be a jerk, but I have to correct you. There's no such thing as a EJ205T. Throwing a T on the end of the engine code isn't something Subaru does, unlike Nissan or Toyota.

Like others have stated, you do need a recirc/bypass valve. A blow off valva (BOV) is not needed and is simply a show item. The stock EJ205 turbo is internally wastegated, BTW.
 

·
The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
Joined
·
5,783 Posts
Sleepypreza1227 said:
ohh i dint know thats what that was, rec bov... I was worried about finding a place to mount it and how.
Any decent FMIC will have a method for attaching a recirc. If you're getting one designed for the EJ20, it will even have the proper flange. As for placement, this is one example:

 

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
mxpunk said:
Stiletto said:
Throwing a T on the end of the engine code isn't something Subaru does, unlike Nissan or Toyota.
QUOTE]

Well, not something they do anymore. The Turbo Legacy had the EJ22T motor in it..but yea, yer' right for the most part :)
Well the turbo legacy motor was only refered to as a ej22t to specify it from the ej22e. No really a subaru thing just for ease of clarification. They probably had names much like the ej20g/ej205/ej257/etc but they are not commonly refered to as that so americans made up something. So what do you call the 22b ej22 motor?
 

·
Registered
02 F-150 Extended Cab
Joined
·
2,610 Posts
Brydon said:
mxpunk said:
Well the turbo legacy motor was only refered to as a ej22t to specify it from the ej22e. No really a subaru thing just for ease of clarification. They probably had names much like the ej20g/ej205/ej257/etc but they are not commonly refered to as that so americans made up something. So what do you call the 22b ej22 motor?
a ej22t block with ej20k heads? lol not sure..

some say the 22b uses a ej22t block, others say its a bored out 2 liter block or stroked...
 

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
mxpunk said:
Brydon said:
a ej22t block with ej20k heads? lol not sure..

some say the 22b uses a ej22t block, others say its a bored out 2 liter block or stroked...
Here's a good one. USDM ej22t cranks are identical to USDM ej205 cranks. Except for one is center thrust bearing and one is rear thrust bearing. But they can be interchanged.
 

·
Registered
1998 Forester on Orange 57F
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
Stiletto said:
IIRC, the latter is the truth.
i do believe you are right. Our ej22t was just a sleeve and bore change. The 22b ej22t has more of a stroke if I remember.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top