Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
03 WRX Wagon
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if buying the ACT ProLite Flywheel will even make any kind of difference? I'm just having trouble contemplating how a lighter flywheel can make noticable difference in my car.

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BDP
2,079 Posts
it takes half the amount of power to spin the lighter flywheel as it does the OEM one therefore allowing more power to reach your wheels instead of spinning that stupid metal disc.

·
Registered
03 WRX Wagon
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay... then would an ACT prolite 10.6 lb. flywheel for $260 shipped be a good deal?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
yes

but people don't suggest replacing JUST the flywheel. since it's a pretty major job, you should wait till you actually have to replace your clutch. but that doesn't mean you could be a go-getter and do it right now :)

·
Banned
05 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS
309 Posts
I have a exedy stage 1 with a 13.9 Flywheel LOVE IT heel toe is fun now! instant power!

on the 05 RS

·
Registered
03 WRX Wagon
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually just got an exedy stage 1 organic clutch... so then thats perfect.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS
553 Posts
I have the ACT prolite in my car right now. It takes a little getting used to, you have to slip the clutch more to get going. However throttle response is well worth any downfalls. With the stock flywheel the engine is very lazy to rev and is difficult to rev match on downshifting, the prolite is super easy to match and makes you feel like a better driver than you are.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
yes, get the prolite. i have the streetlite with an exedy OEM clutch. difference was night and day. revs quicker, revs drop quicker, engine responds quicker....you can hear the engine start up with less strain....it's just a good idea all around.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
can u replace just the flywheel without having to do anything to the clutch?? I know that if you're replacing just the clutch you have to get the flywheel resurfaced. don't know if it applies for the other way around.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS
553 Posts
In my opinion you would be alright as long as your clutch is in good condition and has even wear. The worst that would happen is that you would get some chatter on engagement, but I doubt it. Also the ACT flywheel is made of Chromoly, it doesnt wear much at all.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
ok because i'm probably going to be pulling my motor when i do cams in a week or so and i have to replace my throwout bearing anyways so i might go with a lightweight fly too.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS
553 Posts
Have fun with the cams. Hope you dont have a 98 like me.
edit, ok I read your profile. Lucky you, sucks to be me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts