Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2001 2.5RS
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has already been covered, but i cant seem to find it. If so, please direct me there.

Will a headunit with a flip-out screen clear the gaugepack housing when extended? I currently have my normal unit in, but im concerned that the lip on the top of the housing will be in the way. Any suggestions/advice/pictures?

Thanks in advance.
Casey

· Registered
'06 LGT
9,912 Posts
Yeah its a Panasonic, awsome during the day, and no there were no spacers needed, although I did have to take out a bit of material on the housing for it to slide out freely.

· Registered
'06 LGT
9,912 Posts
Its no more a risk then anything else I have done to the car. Besides, below the HVAC doesn't make it any more difficult to steal. Only a bit harder to see.

If they want something, theres no way I'm going to be able to stop them.

· Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5rs BRP
2,022 Posts
Its no more a risk then anything else I have done to the car. Besides, below the HVAC doesn't make it any more difficult to steal. Only a bit harder to see.

If they want something, theres no way I'm going to be able to stop them.
but they wont want what they cant see. Its a helluva lot harder to see it below the HVAC. Trust me, i've learned my lesson enough, do everything you can to keep people from steeling it, IE use special screws, put a cover over it to make it stealth ect...

· Registered
'06 LGT
9,912 Posts
So I'm supposed to cower in fear over some punk who will try to steal my HU...

I guess, I should never mod my car as it draws attention to an otherwise stock looking car. I would think with the attention my car gets an aftermarket HU wouldn't be out of the question.

Do you guys ever leave your house or are you too afraid because the world is running rampant with HU theiving punks.

My car for ex:

· Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5rs BRP
2,022 Posts
no just dont be stupid and come on here crying in 2 weeks when you find out someone grabbed your shit.

Why be careless with stuff you put money into? Its not called cowering its called being smart. :monkey:

· Registered
'06 LGT
9,912 Posts
Its been in there for almost 3 years. Haven't had a problem yet....

Again, if it gets stolen it gets stolen. If they see if they are going to take it no matter where it is located.

But I appreciate your concern.

· Registered
2001 2.5RS
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
both are valid points, though i already have my HU in the top. adding a retractable screen wont change things much. when i turn off the car, the screen will be hidden. i dont see that as being any different than my situation now with a traditional stereo. dont get me wrong. i realize that i run the risk of getting broken into. especially where i live.

i definitely hear your advice about using special screws. do you have any recommendations? just some star/hex screws?

my concern with having the display below the HVAC is two-fold. i would rather have it positioned where i dont have to take my eyes as far off of the road. i also dont want there to be a chance of the cup holder dripping onto the HU.

· Registered
'06 LGT
9,912 Posts
I gurantee if a thief gets far enough to break into your car to steal your radio, a few screws aren't going to stop him.

Infact more then likely its just going to end up causing more damage when he starts cutting stuff or breaking stuff...

Just my opinion though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.