Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
902 Posts
I read some pretty bad reviews about the l&e coupler.
I did read somewhere that you can spred the lower nuckle on the gd coupler and just trade it with the rs one. I haven't tried it but I'm gonna see if that'll work.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I read some pretty bad reviews about the l&e coupler.
I did read somewhere that you can spred the lower nuckle on the gd coupler and just trade it with the rs one. I haven't tried it but I'm gonna see if that'll work.
I've read both of those things as well. If I can get my hand's on both of them sometime this week, I'll try to swap the lower knuckle.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Wasn't totally happy with my Dunlop's on track, so I ordered a set of Falken RT615Ks in 225/45/17. They should cope a lot better.

I'm also looking into putting in a small power steering cooler. I was pushing out and boiling fluid when I tracked it and I want to prevent that from happening again. Anyone here put one on?

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Brian came in clutch with a passenger seat belt buckle, so thatll be here in the next few days. I put the new NPS in and after 3 days of driving, no 1507 or 1101 codes have popped up. Now I don't have to worry about stalling or losing a cylinder every time I push the clutch in when stopping.

All the parts I ordered have come in, so it's time to start putting them on. Just need a GD steering link and a cooker for the PS and it'll be track ready once again.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Clutch started sticking to the floor on Saturday. Found a wet clutch line, and ordered a new SS one. Hopefully that'll fix it.

After I finish work tomorrow I'll have little more than a week to put in the Suretrac, STi rack, P/S cooler, pillow ball links and weld up the hole in my floor.

Its going to be a long week.:help:

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Got the rack out today. One of the bolts holding it in sheared off in the crossmember. While attempting to get it out, the captive nut snapped off. Go figure. So now I'm scrambling to find a subframe. If it weren't for that bolt, I'd have been finishing up right about now. Oh well :bonk:

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Got the cooler mounted today. It fit perfectly, right behind the grill.

Just waiting on the right steering linkage to work with my RS one. I was really hoping to find one near me, nut it looks like that isn't going to happen. If I were smart, I would've had one waiting before the project started. If any one has one in the NYC area, let me know.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The PS system went back together with relatively no problems after the last update. I moved up to college the day after I put it together and everything went alright.

But today, four days before my track day at NYST, I walk up to the back of the RS to find a puddle of gasoline under the rear passenger side. Fuel filler neck decided to rust through. Great. I ordered the new neck before noon, so the dealer said there is a chance it could come in tomorrow morning instead of Thursday morning. Cutting it real close here.

I'd also like to get the car re-aligned because it was set to factory specs the last time, but that seems like a pipe dream at this point. We shall see.

·
Registered
1996 Impreza Brighton
32 Posts
awesome car man! where at on long island are you from? is that the old abandoned hospital in central islip area that you took photos in front of? i am from Shirley but i live in Washington state now keep that car alive man its a beaut.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
awesome car man! where at on long island are you from? is that the old abandoned hospital in central islip area that you took photos in front of? i am from Shirley but i live in Washington state now keep that car alive man its a beaut.
Thank you! I do what I can to keep her alive. You were close, but its the other big one, the King's Park Psych Center. Pilgrim State, the one in CI, doesn't let you take pictures of the big building anymore unfortunately.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Its been a pretty uneventful month.

I got the fuel filler neck installed in a few hours and was good to go for the track day. The first two sessions of the track day were in the rain, so that was a new experience but it turned out fine. I did experience coolant temp nearly pegging even after my cool down laps on my last two sesions. Coolant boiled over the first time it happened. Head gaskets seem to be fine, but I'm not really sure what caused the issue. The water pump and tstat were replaced a year ago and I'm pretty sure the rad was replaced when the bodywork was done. I haven't experienced any sort of issues with this since the track day so I'm not too worried about it at the moment. Also developed and exhaust leak after but have been to lazy to figure out where its coming from.

Yesterday, I went to a big parts sale in Jersey. Missed most of the good stuff but was happy to grab another 3.9 R160 to put my suretrac in. Only problem being that there are two types of R160 and the one I got is the wrong one. A waste of a Saturday.

I've decided to sell my Ground Control camber plates beacause they're for a GD. Still looking for something to give me more caster and maybe a little more suspension travel. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the car, though I could always go for a little more power.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
I was dreading this day but figured it would come eventually. Just got rear-ended by a Wrangler. It was fairly low speed and there doesn't look to be any major damage, but still, I could've done without it. I'll have pictures once I get home. I'm fine too.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Updated the previous post with the only pictures I took.

I'll need a new trunk, taillights, and rear bumper at the least. Quarter has a slight crease above the drivers side taillight and the trunk is jammed forward as well as being stuck shut. The damage in all reality isn't that bad but it could've been prevented if he wasn't looking at the radio instead of the road. Oh well I guess, time to start looking for parts.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts