Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, exactly one year from signing the bill of sale, I've finally gotten around to making one of these. How she currently sits:

(Past Look)

Engine
Borla Catback
Paranoid Fab. Grounding kit

Drivetrain
2006 2.5i 5MT 3.9Fd
JDM R160 A.P. Suretrac
JDM V5/6 STi DCCD Center Diff
MapDCCD Controller
Group N Transmission Mount
Kartboy Trans Crossmember Bushings

Suspension/Brakes
KYB AGX Struts
Ground Control Sleeves 8" Spring 250f/225r
Ground Control Camber Plates
Paranoid Fab. Fender Braces
Cusco 21mm RSB
Kartboy rear endlinks
Pink GD STi Pillowball Lateral Links+Trailing Arms
GD STi Rear Subframe
TiC Klunk Killer Comfort
GD STi Aluminum Control Arms
Whiteline ALK
Whiteline RCA
2004 STi Steering Rack
06/07 WRX 4 Pot Upgrade
-KNS 4K Front Rotors
-Centric Premium Rear Rotors
-Porterflield R4-S Pads
-Goodridge SS Lines
-2004 STi Master Cylinder

Wheels/Tires
Speedline Super Turismos - SOLD
Stock 5 Spokes (Winter)
SPT BBS Options (Summer)
225/45-17 Falken RT615K

Interior/Audio
Black Zealous Carpet
UK Turbo 2000 F/R Seats
Prodrive Shift Knob
Blaupunkt Toronto
Kenwood KFC-1665s
Sound Ordinance B-8PTD Powered Sub
JDM Blue STI Pedal Covers
22B Door Sills
JDM V6 STi V-Limited Trim
JDM V6 STi V-Limited DCCD Instrument Cluster

Details on myself and the car below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I am currently a student at UAlbany, majoring in journalism. My addiction for cars began at a very young age. My dad's dd was a 1976 Porsche 911S, and still is a Porsche technician, so the love for cars was transferred directly to me. The love only grew stronger once he was tasked with building and racing a vintage 911 RSR for the dealership he worked for at the time. Being a kindergartner and being able to say your dad was a race car driver had a huge impact on me. In 2005, My dad's 911 (still his dd) was hit for the THIRD time, since he bought it in 1997. Knowing he needed a car while it was being fixed, he bought a 1997 Impreza brighton coupe. The 911 was moved to sunny day car and the impreza took over daily duties. It remained the daily until he bought an '07 Impreza wagon in 2011. I thought nothing of it at the time when he sold the brighton.

Fast forward to fall of last year, and a lot was going on. My freshman year of high school was under way, that same 911S I grew up in was nearing the end of its four year restoration done by myself and my dad, and I had been looking for an RS for over a year. After the ideas of Porsche 914/944, BMW 2002, and Mazda Miata was shot down by my mom for being either too small or for a lack of airbags (dad was totally on board), I started to look for an RS. I had looked for my first car since I was twelve years old, so by my senior year I had been looking for the RS for about year. By December, all of my friends had cars of their own, adn the only car guy in the group(me), had no car. Then this popped up: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f171/214926-1998-subaru-impreza-2-5rs-rally-blue-gold-wheels-5spd-no-panel-rust-3.html
I waited a few, and decided I was tired waiting. Mechanically it seemed solid and the body work was the least of my worries, my grandfather owns a body shop and told me that he would handle and body work issues it had. I emailed him on Thursday and by ten o'clock that Saturday the car was mine. Was it rough? Sure, and little did we know, the front end would take more work than expected, but it was mine and it was all I ever wanted.
When I bought it/ pre body work:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/xDgu3w]

Pre body work summer mode:

It turns out, my neighbor, who has had a 2004 STi from new, had an RBP 2.5RS before the STi. He was so excited for me and to see one again that when he heard i was looking for summer wheel he gave me the Speedlines he had on his RS, for FREE. I wrapped them in some 225 DZ102s.

Then came the body work:

Aaaaaaaand, the finished product:

It has been a hell of a journey so far and it has only just begun. Throughout the year I have modified it to be what i believe is the best dd for occasional autoX use. I look forward to being a little more active on the forums, as I've been a lurker for quite some time.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My new Egr and Bpt valves got in today so I picked those up and got those in. Yay, no more P0400! Also finally got around to putting in the RSB. Much less body roll now. I had the bar powder coated as close to the original Cusco blue as possible, it came out really nice. The endlinks came blue like that, but they don't bother me too much.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nothing really new since I've gone back up to school. I'm planning on doing the brakes and carpet during my spring break in March. I've also been looking into Auto-Xing this year. Its something I've always wanted to do.

Other than that, being a freshman in college and not being able to have my car with me still sucks. I took some pictures of the RS when I was home for break. I was shooting with: Olympus OM-2S, 50mm lens, Fujii Superia 400ASA film

Those were my three favorites. It was my first roll of film so I wasn't expecting anything amazing.

·
Registered
1998, RBP Impreza 2.5RS
18 Posts
beautiful car dude! I remember i wanted to buy this but was short a few bucks. ;(

I have a 98 RBP like yours but with rust...:/ haven't had the time to get it cut out and done.

·
Registered
1998, RBP Impreza 2.5RS
18 Posts
beautiful car dude! I remember i wanted to buy this but was short a few bucks. ;(

I have a 98 RBP like yours but with rust...:/ haven't had the time to get it cut out and done.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks! The fact that there was no rust was definitely the main selling point. It certainly made life easier not having to worry about that.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've decided that the best way of dealing with not having my car in college, is to buy parts for it. These will be waiting for me when I get home for spring break.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Small update:

Installed the shift knob and pedals over spring break, as well as doing an oil change and replaced the spark plugs for probably the first time in the cars history. Took these as well over spring break:

There are plenty more on my flickr, but those are my favorites.

Since then I've been up at school so i couldn't drive it or work on it at all. But I could buy things for it.... These arrived yesterday from the UK:

The back seat is the 60/40 split fold down, and there are no holes anywhere on all of the seats. very excited to put those in with the new carpet once i get home from school in a week. more updates then.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, its been a rough first week home.

On Friday, I went to put in my black Zealous carpet and my new V6 WRX seats. But, what should've been a really good day turned out to be a not so good one. I wouldn't have needed to change the carpet if it hadn't have ripped by the dead pedal and by the trunk release latch. I could see that there was some surface rust and hoped for the best. Turned out to be worst case scenario...

After grinding it down a little more the stud has almost completely fallen off and the hole got a little larger. With having no immediate access to a welder. I covered it in POR-15, and continued with the carpet install. Even the new carpet didn't fit great. So that blew up the day. The seats feel great though. I don't feel like I'm sitting on top of the car anymore.

Oh yeah... and my wing got ripped off.:bonk:

I had gotten invited to a wedding by a very cute friend of mine and it was the first full day I was home from school, so I didn't have much time to prepare. With a Porsche concours to go to that morning I only had a few hours to get the car washed, get ready for, and get to the wedding. So, I dropped the car off at a car wash I've used before, went next door to get something at autozone, and when I came back the wing was gone. The brake light wire was hanging out of the trunk and all six studs were still in. No one came up to me and said what happened, and no one apologized. After going up to the woman at the register and explaining my situation, the wing mysteriously appeared out of the back after waiting for several minutes. Everything is being replaced and repaired by the owner, but he was a real **** about it. Even after showing him the parts diagram and press photos of the car from 1998, he still looked at me and said it was aftermarket.

Still, this whole thing could've been avoided had I just waited until the next day to wash my car.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Its been a while since the last update.

Got the brakes installed. Thats it for the big stuff, mostly just maintenance stuff. Plugs, ignition coil, plug wires, fuel filter and head lights. On the more concerning side, once the trans is warmed up and i make sharp turns, there is a loud knocking coming from the front end. From what I've read it could either be an axle or center diff. I'm hoping its the former.

At this point, I don't really need to fix or modify anything more on the car. I would love more power, but im not really sure how I want to go about that. EJ205s seem a little boring, and there isn't much in the way of N/A tuning for me so that isn't a smart choice. Ideally I'd put a flat 6 in it, but the whole wiring situation has me a little nervous. I recently found a company called Subatronics that makes a CanBus emulator that seems to work well, but I don't think I'm financially stable enough to be a guinea pig for something like that just yet. Plus, shes still my DD and I need the reliability. For now, its just a whole lot of research.

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, after almost 12,000 miles, it finally left me stranded.

My roommate James showing his enthusiasm.

I went out on Thursday night with a few of my friends to go get dinner, and while sitting at a stop light, I started to smell coolant. Once we parked,I looked under the car to see the drivers side of the header covered in dried coolant. When I came out, there was a huge puddle on the ground, so I bought some water, filled it up and drove the mile or two I was away back to my dorm.

Friday morning rolls around and I'm planning on driving from college in Albany back home to long island. There was no puddle under the car and there was the same amount of water in it as the night before. I thought I was good. I was wrong.

I hop onto I-87 and within minutes the coolant gauge was pegged. I shut it off and coasted into one of those text stops. In talking with my dad he and I diagnosed it to either a bad water pump or thermostat. I got it towed to the nearest stealership and being that it was still early in the day, had them get it in. The tech changed the thermostat, THEN decided to pressure test it and find the pump was bad as well, essentially wasting an hour. In total it took them nearly four hours to diagnose the car and change the water bump and thermostat. The service writer was very nice and did take quite a bit off of the bill. Regardless, it was still ridiculously expensive. Thankfully, as expected, the car ran great. But there was a squeaking noise from one of the belts.

After checking it out this morning, I found this...

HE COULDN'T EVEN PUT THE BELT ON CORRECTLY.
Goldstein Subaru is an absolute joke.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Diggin the build so far, can you tell me more about those seats?
I'm dying for some fold down seats

Also, did you not put a strut boot/bump stop on your struts?
They wont last too long if dirt and stuff gets on them

·
Registered
1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Diggin the build so far, can you tell me more about those seats?
I'm dying for some fold down seats

Also, did you not put a strut boot/bump stop on your struts?
They wont last too long if dirt and stuff gets on them
They are out of a car from the UK Turbo 2000. Just a regular UK spec WRX if I'm not mistaken. Not sure which trim specifically. I got them from a guy through Facebook. He's on the GC8 owners page and has seats up fairly regularly. His name is Peter Bell.

As far as the struts go, I'm running bump stops, but no dust boots. They wouldn't clear the ground control set up. I've had them on for probably close to 10k miles and haven't had an issue with them so far. Not too worried about them really.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts