Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

fixing 'puncture' holes

644 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  SIMER 
#1 ·
i have a 1999 RS that i took the side trim off. hated it. i thought it made the car look cheap. but, as im sure you all know, this exposes the mounting holes. being the drunken idiot i can be, i tried to fill them with spackle. now i KNOW this isnt right. shut up. but i would like to know the REAL way to fix these, as complicated as it may be. i thought maybe just welding, grinding it down, and then repaint? any suggestions welcome.

thanks!

#3 ·
thats what my old man was thinking. and i know that sounds pretty lame, but hey, with a '69 camaro, a few preludes, a couple of old datsuns & nissans, and a porsche under his belt, he might know something... lol.

#4 ·
Is he a retired Dry waller??:drunk:

Be sure to grind the paint off around the holes and even file the inside edges of the holes. Remember its easy to warp the metal even when plugging holes. If the holes are under 1/4" you'll be fine not using a filler piece behind.

Best of luck!

#6 ·
yup, this is how I did mine... now i just need to do the front doors :drunk:

i slapped a patch of gorrila tape on the back of the holes before i threw some bondo on there

i've heard of people welding in a tiny little piece of metal but imo it's over kill for such a small hole while risking deforming the metal and/or paint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.