Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been lurking on the forums for quite some time now and figured after almost a year its time to start my journal. I started off with euro's and had plans on modifying them but each ended up having far too many problems and being waaaay to expensive for a kid living with his parents to maintain, sooo I went searching for something more practical. Living in the Foothills it made sense to get a Subaru, I searched and did a lot of research for a few months, whilst my 99 VW golf fell apart as I drove it. Finally I decided to call up a family friend who happened to own a Subaru shop, turned out he was getting an Outback Sport in from a friend that he was planning on turning around and selling. Few months later, I ditch the Golf and come home with my "new" 2000 Impreza outback sport.
The last picture I took of my golf before driving it to its next victim.
I felt like a proud father taking this picture after my new babies first bath at home.

It was love at first site, I loved way the car handled and felt on the road, and having a hatchback was perfect with hauling snowboard and music gear around. She came with:
Upgraded radiator
NGK plugs
WRX struts
Tein Springs
16 in Rota Sliptstreams
A new headunit

I later found a writeup on Nasioc for a alacantra wrapped dash and got inspired, I ended up wrapping the top of my dash in black and blue ultrasuede along with my front pillars and plastidipping the underside black which seems to hold up fine. Then came a 12in polk audio sub like any other teenage kid would do. I decided shortly after that I needed my actual car to be louder and went in search of a nice healthy Rumble, I spent about a month looking through different brands and sounds and listening to clips on youtube and talking to fellow Subaru drivers, and finally decided on a Stromung twin tip catback. Sadly while waiting for my order to come in I realized, too late, that I should have waited until after I had got new tires. I slid into an embankment not too far from my house and bent my lower control arm, smashed up my rear quarter panel and broke some other suspension parts. The next morning my exhaust showed up, with my poor subie sitting on jack stands after being towed home.

She sat like this for a few weeks while the parts came in and after it all arrived I put it together, lowered the car, and realized I had bent my rim too much for it to hold air, pull the spare and drive down to America's Tires and fork out a grand on new rims and tires, ugh. But she was running and I was happy, she even sounded much better seeing as I put the new catback on. Now i'm just in the process of fixing the aesthetics and bringing her back to her former glory, and then some.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Most Current Picture:

NGK Sparkplugs
Ganzflo-esk home depot intake
18mm rear anti sway bar
Rear spats
Rear aeroguards
Nearly Paint matched sideskirts
2002 WRX struts
WRX front bucket seats
Tein Lowering Springs
Ebay Front and Rear Strut Braces
Stromung 2.25in Catback
Focal 17in Rims (I'd never heard of it either)
Polk 12in Sub
Suede Dash
Color Changed to Steel Blue Mica

What's next?
WRX Swap!.... hopefully

That's all I've got for now, hopefully will have more to update soon, maybe this will help drive me to get it all done soon. Hope you guys enjoy, anything I messed up, which i'm sure I did just let me know. Thanks, Fitz

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
My girlfriend just got those same Focal wheels on her Nissan from TireRack. Very surprised in the quality. We'll see how they hold up, but for being cheap, I can't complain.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My girlfriend just got those same Focal wheels on her Nissan from TireRack. Very surprised in the quality. We'll see how they hold up, but for being cheap, I can't complain.
Yeah i'm hoping they last a while, I die a little inside when I hear "ohh those are Rota Grids right?" and have to say they are the generic offbrand stuff. But hey they roll and don't look half bad so I can't really complain.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm heading down to the wreckers today to pick up a used door and a new front bumper, would anyone be able to tell me if I can remove the trim on my current door and put it on the new one? I am not sure if the used door is off another Outback Sport and I definitely don't want one door to be unmatched. Help please!

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So update on my body repairs, went down to the dismantlers and picked up a used Green door that had the same trim as mine, pretty decent price along with an aftermarket fender primed. Get home that night to find some front and rear strut braces I ordered off ebay arrived. The next morning I wake up to work on the fender and strut braces, but some construction is going on at my house so I have no garage space to use, call up good ol' grandpa and head over to his house to use his garage and endless supply of tools. If you don't have a grandfather I highly suggest you invest in one, always handy with any project I start. Fender was pretty smashed up but came off relatively easy with some help, putting on the new fender was another story, some area's had been tweaked in my wreck, and the aftermarket fender didn't seem to be exactly the same anyway. But eventually get it together and it looks pretty decent
there's a larger gap where it lines up with the hood and corner light but there's nothing I can do about that.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The braces were a breeze to install, and I was happy to see I could even keep my sub box in the trunk. Took a total of probably 20 minutes, 15 of which being taking the nuts on and off.

Now i'm just waiting to find a decent paint shop around before I put my green door on.2 tone silver, primered fender, green door....yeah no thanks. Sadly all I can afford right now is Maaco, my friend had a good job done from there, but I know their reputation and I don't know if its worth the risk.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked up my W2 today from work, hopefully will have paint lined up by return time. I've decided on Steel Blue Mica, after a few months of going back and forth I feel like that would be the best choice. The car got a nice long wash and exterior detailing today.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So have kinda been doing some small maintenance things on the car the past week, picked up some spats and aeroguards from Gotum209 earlier in the week and decided to restore them, as well as my roof rails and cross bars which were faded and chipping bad.

Halfway through removing, couldn't believe how gnarly these were underneath, so I gave the roof a long overdue scrubbing

Sanded back the chipping and cleaned off all the dust and dirt from the bars and the rails.

First few coats of Krylon satin black. Just went with a cheap cleanup, and I feel like it turned out pretty well.

Hard to see in the light, but love the spats and aero's, install wasn't too difficult at all. Now skirts would be awesome at this point, so i'm keeping an eye out for those to pull the look together.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,737 Posts
Are you going to take it to a shop to have it painted?

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, but sadly it looks like the only thing I can afford is Maaco.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,737 Posts
I know they're not the best place, but some Maaco shops are better than others. Just make sure to read all the reviews on individual locations.

You can always bring it back until they do the job right haha.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah my friend had good results from the closest one. Thanks for the advice, I've heard it's worth the warranty there just in case they mess it up.

·
Registered
99 rustbox
1,041 Posts
thats a damn clean rear-end to that obs!

For some reason the s u b a r u in the middle of the trunk on wagons always looks good.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats a damn clean rear-end to that obs!

For some reason the s u b a r u in the middle of the trunk on wagons always looks good.
Thanks man. I was originally planning on debadging the whole trunk but decided to leave it and dip it black. Glad I left it.

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,737 Posts
Yeah my friend had good results from the closest one. Thanks for the advice, I've heard it's worth the warranty there just in case they mess it up.

My boyfriend had a good Maaco shop paint his GF8 a different color, but that was in Oregon haha. Which one did your friend go to? (I'm assuming you're in the Bay Area)

·
Registered
2000 Impreza OBS
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He took it to the one is Roseville, 45 minutes out of Sacramento towards the mountains. Kind of a ways out of the Bay

1 - 20 of 85 Posts