Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 WRB WRX
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 wrx and my timing belt slipped, I need to change out the heads, well I want to..but I have never done it before. Once the engine is out what are things that I need to do that I may not think of? The car has 130k on it. I am going to do all new gaskets, waterpump and oil pump I guess. Some people say to replace the head studs, is this true? My timing belt was just changed so that should be good. So basically if someone could tell me everything I should do while the engine is out that would be great. Or if you could link me to a thread that will have good information it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
You are going to want to replace all the pulleys and timing belt tensioner, I'd question why the belt slipped and thoroughly check the one you have for damage.

If you are going to have the heads cleaned, decked and checked. I'd have the machine shop put new valve seals in, then I'd replace the cam seals. You will need the valve cover and spark plug gaskets as well as some fujibond or hondabond.

Since you will have bought a tube of fujibond, I'd check and reseal the oil pan if needed as well as the rear separator plate and check the rear main seal.

After the heads are bolted to the block, I would recheck to make sure the valve lash is withing spec and replace buckets as needed.

As for other gaskets, you will want exhaust gaskets, up/down pipe, and intake manifold gaskets.

Generally what I do is just buy the entire gasket set and replace whatever I can. 100x easier to do all this work while the motor is out and on a stand.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
I'd also replace the sparkplugs.

As far as sensors, I'd clean off the cam and crank position sensors and replace the knock sensor and coolant temp sensor

·
Registered
2002 WRB WRX
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd also replace the sparkplugs.

As far as sensors, I'd clean off the cam and crank position sensors and replace the knock sensor and coolant temp sensor
Thanks, great answer! While you are here...do you have any tips or things I should know for the actual installation of the heads? And do I really need to replace the head studs?

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
you will want a copy of the service manual, that will tell you all the correct torque specs and installation procedure for everything.

I reuse headstuds, some people dont. There are people on both sides of the fence on that one.

·
Registered
2003 2.5RS
60 Posts
you will want a copy of the service manual, that will tell you all the correct torque specs and installation procedure for everything.

I reuse headstuds, some people dont. There are people on both sides of the fence on that one.
That's good advice OP, you can also go into an O'Reillys or whatever parts store suits your fancy, they can give you a complete list of torque specs.

Personally, I wouldn't re-use headstuds; that's just asking for trouble.

If you are putting in new spark plugs, wires may not be a bad idea either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts