Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
MAP Rally Team 2.5RS #35
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, did my first autox about a month ago. I loved it!!

Im 17yo, and they gave me crap about not being 18, but I got in somehow...

I got first in novice class, with a 2000 RS Coupe running in STS. Mods consist of a Cusco RSB, Cobb catback with gutted cats, Ganzflo intake, and 17inch Kosei rims with very bald Kumho Ecsta MXs.
In novice I beat out a S2000, LGT, WRX, and other cars. I quickly noticed that smoothness is key to a fast time.

On my second autox which I did last weekend, I got second in novice. My first run I went off course, but then realized my mistake. Last run I pushed too hard and hit 3 cones. I disconnected my ABS and just locked them up. An S2000 beat me and just couldn't match his times throughout the day. In the process though I beat out 2 STis!

All in all, I seriously love autox, and if anyone is contemplating doing it, trust me just go out there and do it!

Here are some pics:

Heres my lockup:

·
Registered
'99 impreza 2.5RS
235 Posts
sweet man! I did my first auto-x last weekend and it was rad! I went into it with a lot of confidence but quickly learned it was a little harder than I thought to get as close as possible to the cones yet not knock them over. I learned a lot tho and can't wait to do it again. Gnar pic too. When I got sideways around the hairpin was the best part!

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Good job! There should be a link to a "minor waiver" on your local region's site that you can print out and have your parent/guardian sign that will eliminate any questions when you show up to an event. The club was probably just trying to be thorough since lots and insurance are getting more and more scarce/expensive.

Keep at it and remember that slow is fast and keep looking ahead....further than you think you can.

Try verbally describing the course out loud while you drive, as if you had a passenger. Your mind will have to be further ahead to get the words out and your eyes will have to be even further ahead. This will greatly help you place the car as opposed to reacting and correcting.

·
Registered
MAP Rally Team 2.5RS #35
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jay for the tips!

I don't know if its the bald MXs but I'm fighting some bad understeer. My second run I ran a 38/42 front/rear tire PSI, and my RSB is set on 23mm. Maybe next time ill bump up the sway to 24mm and drive smoother.

Any other tips?

·
Registered
00' BRP GM6
416 Posts
Glad you enjoyed your first time as much as I did mine...its addicting to say the least!!

To help with the understeer, chalk your front tires to see if/how much they are rolling over. If you can get the front grip where it needs to be, the rear is easily changed. I personally, prefer to run about 45-48psi in the rear to help the car rotate, but I am only running a 20mm RSB (not a big fan of a huge RSB, but a die hard fan of a huge FSB).

Most of the RS drivers around here will keep ABS on, since all of us are very aggressive at jabbing the brakes to set the car up for a curve. Our motto is that if you are kicking one of the pedals at all times, then your going too slow :) . But it really just comes down to how you are comfortable in the car.

Like Storm said, always look ahead. An easy way to prove to yourself that you are doing this is to look at pictures that people take of you. If they take one of you in a curve and you are looking out the window to plan you next move or if you are looking straight ahead at where you currently are ( this is especially true in hairpins, you always see people driving out the side windows once they commit to the corner ).

Have fun, thats the main goal, if it isn't fun, its not worth doing it anymore. Get as much seat time as possible, it will make you a better and safer driver, not only on the auto-x course, but also on the highways in the case of an emergency.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Props for going to autox. I wish more kids did that to learn car control , so they wouldn't be depleting the 240sx population by crashing into things (I'm a s13 owner btw). :)

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS Auto 4 Door
505 Posts
Check out this list, http://www.autox4u.com/schedule.htm It's a comprehensive list of places in our area for autocross. The BMWCCA has events at Giant's stadium and welcomes all types of cars.

The NY Chapter of the BMWCCA has events at Nassau Coliseum and you'd be welcome there too. I was at the chapter board meeting tonight and it seems a bunch of Subie Guys have been showing up and filling out our "Non BMW" Classes.

Be careful, autocross is a gateway drug. Getting hooked on this type of petrol fueled addiction can ramp up quick.

It starts out with a Evolution Autocross School hosted by the SCCA to find that last 2-3/10s of a second, then it leads to a steep downward spiral ofHigh Performance Driving Schools at all different tracks around the Metro NY/NJ/CT area. Sting starts to outweigh bling and wheels are picked by weight, not style. Never mind the seats, cage, harnesses, fire suppression setup you put in for your own safety and to give you that extra bit of control.

I'm off to Watkins Glen this Sunday for a 2 day. Can't wait to get my fix.It's like crack with wheels. A full blown HPDE addiction can strain relationships, cars and wallets but......it's worth it.

Good luck and God's speed.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
WHile autocross is highly addictive.....it's not always a stepping stone or "gateway drug" to track events. Lots of people are perfectly content with buffing conemarks off the car when they make mistakes. It's alot easier to explain than the nausiating back-up beeping the flatbed makes when it drops your car off for you after you make a mistake at the track.

I agree that one quickly shifts focus from form to function over all else. Both of our cars are shining examples of what autocross can do to your sense of aesthetic appeal when modding!

·
Registered
2001 2.5 RS Auto 4 Door
505 Posts
Storm said:
It's alot easier to explain than the nausiating back-up beeping the flatbed makes when it drops your car off for you after you make a mistake at the track.

I agree that one quickly shifts focus from form to function over all else. Both of our cars are shining examples of what autocross can do to your sense of aesthetic appeal when modding!
No joke, did you know it's a $400 tow from Pocono to Long Island? I do. A spun bearing is all it takes. Drop in the bucket compared to the rebuild.

That beeping is the worst sound ever, especially when the lip spoiler scrapes the chain on the way off the bed.

Scccrrraappppeeeee! :mad:

·
Registered
97 Legacy GT
44 Posts
i want to autox sooo bad
but i can't bring my car to college until next year
i guess it just gives me more time to save for new suspension components

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
BayLegacy said:
i want to autox sooo bad
but i can't bring my car to college until next year
i guess it just gives me more time to save for new suspension components
I'm leaving for college next year (I'm doing 2 years at the local community college to save money). I dunno how I'm gonna get by without driving my baby everyday :(

·
Registered
97 Legacy GT
44 Posts
Storm said:
You could probably fit a shifter kart in your closet.....and have 10x the fun for .5x the cost....
hmmm... i could probably fit one under my bed (they're lifted off the floor for storage)
maybe i could do some laps around the campus
that would be dope

·
Premium Baller
05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
5,731 Posts
you have to be 18 to do autox?

i just turned 17 and i think ill be doing the same thing you did, run novice stock, i dont have too many mods on the car

damn the tires on that blue gc are wide

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
No....The only requirement is to hold a valid drivers license (unless you're driving a formula junior kart). That said, each person at the event signs a waiver for insurance purposes. Since you're under 18, you need a minor waiver signed by your parent(s) or guardian (which can be downloaded from the SCCA site). Talk to the officers of your local club about a minor waiver for you to carry to all the events. Your parents can sign it once and you carry it with you at the events to get your wristband. The club keeps a copy on file as well.
salvator_rizzo said:
you have to be 18 to do autox?

i just turned 17 and i think ill be doing the same thing you did, run novice stock, i dont have too many mods on the car

damn the tires on that blue gc are wide
Yeah, the tires are wide....but they now cost $300 each too..... :letitout:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts