Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995 AWD Brilliant Red Subaru
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, i have turned 17, and i recieved a car for my birthday. Well, technically, i am paying for it, 1/2 of the car is mine now. But i will be paying the rest of as i go. Unfortunatley, it was kinda a surprise from my parents...so its not a subaru. It is a 93 probe gt. I been driving it for the last 2 days(learning how to drive a manual is fun..lol). It appears to be pretty quick. My parents had it checked out with our family mechanic, and it appears very clean and well maintained. So i am looking foward to some easy sailing so to speak. I just wanted to annouce i am on the road people. HAha. If i must say tho, it is a sexy looking car. First thing is to change the stupid shift nob...its a real peice of crap. Btw, if anyone has owned or heard anything about these cars, let me know. I know this is a SUBARU forum, i been posting here for awhile, and respect people's comments on this site. Everyone always is very helpful, and in all honestly, has a lot of intelligence. that is hard to find on other sites.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
congrats on the car. is it the turbocharged one?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah...2.5l V6(mazda engine. same on as in older mx-6's). Makes 164 horses, and 160 ft pounds of torque. Too bad the car weighs close to 3k pounds...time to do some weight reduction...hahaha. Even tho i jsut got it, i am already trying to learn as much as posible about the car, the engine, and everything. I do want to do some kind of forced induction...either s/c or turbo. But the aftermarket appears small and shady to me. So who knows.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
take your time. learn how to drive manual good first.

·
Registered
597 Posts
don't worry too much about the specs of the probe (164hp/nearly 3k pounds). the rs has the same specs. at least you are putting more power to the wheels than the rs does
yah. learn how to drive the car first. i got my rs for quite awhile now and i'm still trying to figure out how to drive it smoothly
:eek:

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
there is heel-toe downshifting, and double clutching for driving manual. they are fun. and if you have an aftermarket exhaust, heel-toe downshifting sounds awesome too.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i know i know. i will learn to drive smoothly to the point it is second nature(how ice skating is to hockey players). I have made alot of progress. My thrid day driving stick, and my dad felt as tho i was ready to go cruising around my neighborhood. No jerkin in this car...nice smooth shifts. ;-) And today i conquorered the imfamous standind start on a hill without rolling back stalling or bucking. so i am all proud of myself. Haha.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
that's pretty good for third day. oh, don't ever learn how to drive manual on a subaru, it's painful. my back hurted after 2 nights of pratice.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
sunnys25 said:
i drive an integra every once in a while and I am smoother in that than i am in the RS.
RS is pretty hard to drive smooth. probably it's because of AWD.

·
Registered
597 Posts
not to mention the low end torque of the 2.5.
and the transmission isn't as forgiving as a honda/acura transmission. i can shift the integra pretty sloppily and i seem smooth, but the RS bucks and complains when i do the same to it

·
Registered
646 Posts
Learn to drive on the Probe then after you've got alot of time behind the wheel and can run through the gears well, sell it and buy something else. At least any dings or accidents you have while you learn to drive will only be in a Ford.

·
Registered
2021 Tacoma TRD Pro
4,230 Posts
At least it looks cool. :) Most of the Probes I see are riced out. If I were you I'd keep it, do light mods and learn how to drive well with it. Then when you are ready and have the money step up to something else. Congrats on the car.

JC

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks. That was the plan. DO some little stuff..until i need some cash, and sell it. I am learning pretty fast..getting very smooth. My bro thinks so. Haha. And its not riced out. I hate rice. It came with a non-ricey duel tip exhuast. Nice deep note. Its a nice lookin car...except its a bright red..:-/. No complaints tho. Its pretty quick as far as i can tell. Haven't pushed anything yet....don't plan on it for awhile. What i'd like to do, is find a used Rs engine(preferably 2000-2001) that someone is selling and on the side...strip it down, and build it back up. I mean, hardcore rebuild. Wouldn't be ina rish since i have a car. Then, i'd other find a cheap rs(2000-2001) or find an older L and drop the bad boy in it. I want an impreza. I will get one eventually. In one shape or form. O...and already, got alot of lookers @ my car. other kids in my school r drivin real trash mobiles(spelling?) haha...so i'm lucky, and content for now.

Almost forgot..spent 2 days washing, waxing, and cleaning the thing. Lookin very perdy. Damn birds tho...lol.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
yea, birds always look for the shinest car to crap on. don't know why. happens to me all the time.

as i was reading your post, i thought you want an EJ25 and build it up and then drop it in your probe. i was like, holy shit...that'll be cool! :lol:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I WISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ej25 rocks. I wish it would fit...with fwd....or rwd....lol. Nah, i am still debating. I am other gonna keep the probe, and on the side, build up an engine to handle a turbo for the probe...and drop it in since i do have the actual probe already. But, i really like to get a used subaru engine....preferably the Ej25, strip it..clean it...reubuild it(everything) for a f/i application(still waiting for templar to get his for sale. If not, i'll get a lude speed or avo and have my engine built specifically for one of these kits. ...cause imho...i think subarus are the highest quailty car..and the impreza is just so sexy lookin...(01 and before). Plus...AWD just kicks ass. But that would mean i'd have to sell the probe(no transportation) buy a subaru(if i can find one here in South jersey...for cheap) buy that...pull that engine (no transportaion again) then do the swap. I dunno...i'm still debating. If i had a pile of cash...i woulda got an impreza and that would havebeen the end of it. But o well, not enough cash initially. So what do u all think. Kick ass probe ( i swear...no rice whatso ever!!!) or some good o' subaru fun?

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
keep the probe. save money. get ej25, build it up, then get old high mileage awd impreza

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
JZ oo7 said:
yea, birds always look for the shinest car to crap on. don't know why. happens to me all the time.

as i was reading your post, i thought you want an EJ25 and build it up and then drop it in your probe. i was like, holy shit...that'll be cool! :lol:
haha i was thinking the same also....haha..anyway congratz on the car...keep it good and clean...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts