Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Wedges' Biggest Fan!
2000, subaru, 2.5 rs impreza,
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Long story short I am finally going turbo. Here is what I plan on putting in, please add what else you believe I should put in. I am not swapping so please do not waste everyones time by saying, Just swap it.

Here is what I have so far.

-STi Pistons
-STi Piston Rings
-STi Rods
-ACL Race Bearings
-Turbo X member
-Stage 3 Clutch
-GT32R turbo
-Perrin up and down pipe
-Front mount
-Walbro 255
-Modded 06 WRX Injectors
-Link plus engine managment, or Megasquirt (best place to find this and possibly more info to read on either one?)
-Wideband Controller
-Boost, EGT, Fuel pressure, Oil pressure & Oil temp guages

Then some misc. parts: Recommendations?
-Colder plugs?
-Intake?
-Turbo Exhaust?
-Gaskets; Cometic?

More parts not turbo related:
-New front bumper
-Struts/Springs
-HID's

Please help me find what else I might be missing, and please tell me where I may find some good deals.

Parts I have at the ready but have not purchased.
-Clutch
-Front mount
-Intake (not positive custom made)

I will be using Royal Purple for oil
Also will be using Shock Proof for Tranny Oil.

Again. I am making my list and checking it twice.

-Doug

·
Registered
94L
2,782 Posts
Damn! I would think ppl would be all over this thread helping you!? sorry as much as i would love to help you, dont really have the knowledge... :(
Im just a beginning mechanic...

but!!! struts/springs,,, agx's + eibachs make perfect combo... semi adjustable and can make sorta like a ver 6 sti suspension setting.. lol
bumper... whats wrong with yours?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have recently finished my ej257 build, and I used a stage3 6-puck clutch and its great. I would highly recommend one, I have an exedy, but I beleive any brand will be the same. Do not know much on the EM side of things as I am still learning. and for the oil pump and pan I would recommend some high temp RTV silicone (works great). I have used it several times on engine builds and it holds up pretty good. alot better then the cheap gaskets. other then that make sure to check all your parts and make sure they are in great shape. and before you start the engine - make sure to prime it. if not you could destroy all that hard work.

·
Wedges' Biggest Fan!
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have recently finished my ej257 build, and I used a stage3 6-puck clutch and its great. I would highly recommend one, I have an exedy, but I beleive any brand will be the same. Do not know much on the EM side of things as I am still learning. and for the oil pump and pan I would recommend some high temp RTV silicone (works great). I have used it several times on engine builds and it holds up pretty good. alot better then the cheap gaskets. other then that make sure to check all your parts and make sure they are in great shape. and before you start the engine - make sure to prime it. if not you could destroy all that hard work.
Yessir. I Also have a friend helping me put it togethor. I just need to decide between 4 EM.

-Hydra
-UTEC
-MegaSquirt
-Link Plus

Changed my turbo to STi. Got a few other changes that I will have to add.

·
Registered
99 Impreza RS rally blue pearl
705 Posts
Congrats on finishing your build! Are you ruunin that 6 puck in a RS tranny? And do you know the puck material, organic,carbon,copper?

·
Registered
stm99,flatblack99,07sti,blk98
566 Posts
is this a build on a ej253 or 251 block.. from my understanding you will need a new waterpump larger wrx 10mm oil pump, possibly wrx oil pan to fit wrx header around if your using a wrx header to uppipe combo. stock location turbos ftl personal opinion. 90 degree silcone elbow if your using stock location turbo to run turbo inlet bc of old ej manifold..boost seleniod..manual or electronic.i dunno i got lots of questions too bc i want to build mine too

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
im at work and just skimmed the thread....

looks good...

for EM get the hydra if you can afford it fo sho!...
UTEC wont work (im assuming u staying RS heads)
megasquirt works apparently and is cheap...i dont know much about it...besides its a lot of work....
link plus - ok system....i dont know much about it and have never had much luck finding good info on it....but i have seen lots of people running it with "no complaints" so yeah....it works just good luck getting support!

to use wrx header u need a wrx waterpump....thats it...no need for oil pan or anything crazy like that....

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
oh ps viper did u get everything sorted out with that block that spun bearing?

·
Wedges' Biggest Fan!
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will be using my Borlas. I am going to buy a perrin up and downpipe and have a local muffler shop (who does fantastic work) cut the pipes to fit around the X member. I think that would work pretty well.

I am using the stock RS heads.

I will be building the bottom end for under 1k buy a STi turbo, perrin up, and downpipe. So engine managment I have no problem spending 1k-2k on, I want the best tunability because there are no dyno's in montana. I believe the closest one is Denver? After I get my car running I will rent a uhaul and trailer my car down to the dyno site. Take the uhaul to another uhaul in denver and drive my RS back to billings. The best news i have found is we have 93 octane in billings!!! only one gas station in billings has 93!

I am going to purchase a Exedy stage 3 clutch kit.

Shooting for daily drivin 300whp.

New bumper will be in on tuesday, so front mount will be mounted within the next week or so. I have my stock bumper on which is broke and beat up, I will hack that bumper up as a "test fit bumper". Then use all of the measurements for the new bumper.

I am so excited to get started on my car! I am going to start ordering parts hopefully next week or the week after.

I am going to go buy a new digicam here tomorrow so I can document the whole thing. Possibly take my car to the drag strip, before and after kinda thing. :)

·
Registered
99 Impreza RS rally blue pearl
705 Posts
I will be using my Borlas. I am going to buy a perrin up and downpipe and have a local muffler shop (who does fantastic work) cut the pipes to fit around the X member. I think that would work pretty well.

I am using the stock RS heads.

I will be building the bottom end for under 1k buy a STi turbo, perrin up, and downpipe. So engine managment I have no problem spending 1k-2k on, I want the best tunability because there are no dyno's in montana. I believe the closest one is Denver? After I get my car running I will rent a uhaul and trailer my car down to the dyno site. Take the uhaul to another uhaul in denver and drive my RS back to billings. The best news i have found is we have 93 octane in billings!!! only one gas station in billings has 93!

I am going to purchase a Exedy stage 3 clutch kit.

Shooting for daily drivin 300whp.

New bumper will be in on tuesday, so front mount will be mounted within the next week or so. I have my stock bumper on which is broke and beat up, I will hack that bumper up as a "test fit bumper". Then use all of the measurements for the new bumper.

I am so excited to get started on my car! I am going to start ordering parts hopefully next week or the week after.

I am going to go buy a new digicam here tomorrow so I can document the whole thing. Possibly take my car to the drag strip, before and after kinda thing. :)
93 octane, is it a 96 station? Enjoy it while you can cause 92 used to be avail in CA but ..........Union 76 or it's parent Co. owens the patent to the formula to produce 92 gas and it is not available here now. And just to add insult to injury, I live within 10 miles of three different oil refineries so you'd think gas would be a bit cheaper, no f'in way. Just a bit of rant for ya, but good luck with yer build.- MJ

·
Wedges' Biggest Fan!
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ok, Now I am choosing injectors, I am looking at Deastchwerks.

What size should I get? STi turbo and STi internals. Invidia 4" dp turbo X member and looking at STi EL headers and up pipe with Tial 38mm EWG. EM is Hydra. Anything else I should include for help on choosing injectors? Oh and walbro 255.

440cc?
or
600cc?

·
Registered
'00 RS w/ 05 STi swap
436 Posts
hey im in MT and i built my own RS-T using a stock location Setup - i suggest either a new crossmember or notching your stock crossmember so you can use all wrx parts. Im using a JDM "liberty" "Equal Length" stock exhaust manifold and it clears the stock water pump by a LOT. It was a direct bolt on. For up pipe get the HKS and it will clear your stock heads if you shave a little bit of a tab off the head, and then you can run any stock location turbo - but if you can i would get a rotate mount setup with a nice garret turbo or rotate the stock setup because it will be easier to build an intake - otherwise you have to use a 90* elbow right off the turbo. Im using a TDO4 on stock internals at 8psi tuned on greddy emanage ultimate and it has held for over a year just fine! Im still learning how to tune and im still working on my maps because they are just beginner maps that im too lazy to change so the tune is SUPER conservative. If you are ever in the Butte area hit me up via pm and i can show you my car or you can PM me any time for some help - ive helped a couple people turbo NA 2.5 engines so far - gl with your setup!!

·
Registered
New to me 2006 Blue Impreza
100 Posts
I am sure you are aware of this however I will add my input for others.
Be very carefull when using Silicone sealant on a motor. Use as little as possiable to get the job done. Do not use it on the oil pump. Silicone balls up and will eventually end up in your oil passages and either slow down and/or clogg them up. You know what happens next!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts