Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Impreza OBS
133 Posts
That's a cool setup there! where did you say you got the shift knob? and btw should've stayed in PA its nice over there

·
Registered
'99 Impreza Outback Sport
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Thanks, I be back in PA for the summer working for Olympic National Park again, seasonal jobs just mean you move a lot.

As for the shift knob, I have two. Both were made by hand by my dad on a wood lathe. I believe the one in the most recent picture is Lignum Vitae, I also have an Amboyna burl.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
To much going on with my car lately and not in a good way. Found a crack in my radiator yesterday mornng cause I noticed coolant all over the front end and ground. So today I'm picking up a new radiator today along with hoses. Yay... Another $150 I could be spending on fun stuff...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Fun stuff finally!!
A local on craigslist was selling his set of 6 spokes from his wrecked RS. So i picked them up along with some trim pieces and an RS Gauge.
Right away I started cleaning up the wheels. Started with with a pressure washing and a scrub down.
IMG_1351 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr
IMG_1352 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Then I hit them with some paint striper, after a brief moment pretending to sand.
IMG_1353 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Then I hit them with some filler primer and once them were dry, a little light sanding.
IMG_1356 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr
IMG_1357 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Then of course GOLD!!!
IMG_1358 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

And some new feet. Firestone Firehawk wide oval
IMG_1361 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
So I did another thing. Hopefully maybe someone sees this to either tell me this will work long term or tell me this is going to burn down my car.
Either way, I got tired of not being able to see anything in the trunk of my OBS at night. So i grabbed a trunk light from a Forrester in a junk yard.

First thing I did was splice into the power and door switch wires in the existing overhead light.
IMG_1374 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Then I strung the wires through.
IMG_1375 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

That box is what I cut out with my dremmel. The box is the correct height, but it needs to be 3.5 inches instead of the 3inches wide that it is.
IMG_1376 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Then I spliced into the ground for the 12v outlet so the Door/off/on options on the switch all work.
IMG_1377 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

IMG_1378 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Needless to say I feel very accomplished. Now I just need to find an LED bulb to match my overhead.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
More things have happened. This time I decided dragging around a bunch of useless dead weight was dumb, so I chucked my AC. The compressor, evaporator, and lines are all gone. I've left the condenser for now because it protects my radiator. But its a good 20 pounds gone.

There had to have been a leak in the system somewhere. Even though I've recharged it a few times, there was absolutely no pressure in the system. Oh well.

All is good now though.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
A couple weeks ago I drove over to the Subaru Junkyards in Rancho Cordova, CA (sacramento area). One of them had an 25rs, unfortunately it was sitting at the top of a stack of three cars. So there would be no pulling of parts. After a couple weeks I got a call from them that it was on the ground. So I went and picked up the lower dash, center console and side skirts. All for a very good deal.
The other point is that there is a RS with some decent parts if you need anything.

On to the good stuff. Some before
IMG_1676 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

IMG_1677 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

All taken out, it was fairly clean underneath
IMG_1679 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Black parts going in!
IMG_1681 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Really terrible picture, but it shows the important part!
IMG_1684 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Also the side skirts
IMG_1686 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Now all I need is to get a bunch of clips and things from subaru to install the skirts. I also need to find the rear ashtray for the center console. Also I kind of want a different trim piece around the brake lever. The one I have has a hole drilled for an alarm light or something. It is also missing one of the black coin slots.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
Got my side skirt installed along with some Hella Super Tones. The Super Tones were pretty straight forward. The instructions on NASIOC were really helpful. I also got the Brotie from Grimmspeed and it worked on just fine for our chassis.

Installing the side skirts was a lot more fun because holes had to be drilled into my car like usual.

First up was the need of a broach, a tool to make square holes in metal. I found a metal shaft in the ruins where I work, looks like it was a step on a power pole at one time. From there I used a high speed grinder to shape it.
DSC_0159 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Took a bit of time to get it where I wanted, but it ended up great.
DSC_0160 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

DSC_0162 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Once I had the broach made it was a pretty straight forward side skirt install. The DIY on here was super helpful.

Drilling holes
DSC_0147 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

So many, and of course each one was just as scary as the previous.
DSC_0154 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Underside drilled
DSC_0157 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Holy cow! Its square(ish)!
DSC_0164 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr
DSC_0167 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Once I got all the holes made, I used some paint to cover up the bare metal. Then I used all the Subaru plastic bits. And now there are side skirts. I have some extra bits and the part numbers if anyone needs to see them, in order to know what to get.
DSC_0169 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Also this happened...
DSC_0356 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr
My girlfriend needed a new car, her 1999 VW beetle was on its way out. So of course I did the right thing and strongly encouraged her to get a Subaru. She found this Outback Sport here in the East Bay. It's a 2000 with only 116000 miles.

All in all its pretty good for the price.
DSC_0358 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr
DSC_0359 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

It has its share of dents and dings, some we've even been able to pop back out. You can see where the paint is cracked. Was able to use a hair dryer to heat it up enough to press it out.
DSC_0360 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

I think it has been in some sort of collision, but it wasn't reported. It has full Depo headlights and corners, the hood seems to be after market, plus there is this...
DSC_0365 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

DSC_0366 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

The driver's side door and fender definitely seem to be junk yard grabs. The door is as good as I can get, but it still sits out a little bit. I'll try to adjust the striker a little more sometime in the future.

Today though we put some new things on her car, the big on was this shift knob my dad made for her.
DSC_0363 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

We also got her a wiper stalk from a GD wagon with the variable speed intermittent wipers. Such a great easy upgrade.

Then while putting in the fog light relay and switch I found this....
DSC_0351 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Didn't take too long, but I was able to successfully remove this demon. I really haven't been able to find much out about it at all other than it is some super cheap alarm system. It was a pretty piss poor install/hack job. Most of the wires were just wrapped together instead of actually being spliced. Either ways, its good that its gone.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Finally new things!
A month and a half back or so I went on a cruise with the Bay Area Subaru group. Awesome drive along skyline drive in the west bay. Along the way home I heard some brief strange noises from my brakes. I didn't think to much off it at the time as we had been driving hard and quick(I was managing to keep up in the twisties with GR WRX's and STi's). A couple weeks later I hear the noises again and consistency so I go to pull my brake pads and take a look. What I found was not good...

Nothing out of place
IMG_2687 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Well now, that can't be good
IMG_2707 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Umm thats even worse
IMG_2709 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Calipers didn't look much better
IMG_2710 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Both sets of front pads were on crack. The driver side inner pad was worn to the metal backing. These pads were 3 years old. The calipers had already failed once on me and appeared to be well on their way to failing again. The outer boots had managed to pop off. So I put it all back together like nothing happened and didn't drive the car for a little bit.

About the same time browsing the local forum I saw a set of 06/07 WRX brakes for sale for $450. Front and rear calipers with a rebuild kit for the fronts and the rears already having been rebuilt. So obviously rather than replace, you upgrade. I got them from a guy named Parker, i think he goes by acetech on here. He was getting rid of them because he liked his 04/05 WRX wheels and these calipers don't fit under them.

Caliper being rebuilt and dirty
DSC_0218 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Clean vs. dirty
DSC_0208 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

All four all cleaned up and ready to go
IMG_2684 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

New calipers and rotors on
IMG_2695 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

New rotors are a lot bigger. The old ones were rusted and pretty bad looking to me.
IMG_2691 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Gotta make them bleed first
IMG_2699 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

All buttoned up and looking good.
IMG_2700 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Sadly the rear calipers aren't on yet because money/parts. The 06/07 WRX backing plates are on order and I'll pick up pads and rotors for the rear when the backing plates get here.
In the mean time though, these brakes stop like champs. I can't wait to get the rears on.

A total different note. Got some wiring to wire up the fogs in my lady's GF4 OBS. Managed to do this and not realize it until blowing up like a dozen fuses.

IMG_2794 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Yes that is the negative running to the positive. I pulled the black plugs out of a SF forester and apparently the leads are switched. After finally seeing it I ripped the pins out and switched them and now all is good under the hood.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Here we are again. Some big problems, some little additions.
First I finally finished my brake upgrades, mind you this way way back in May or June.
IMG_2853 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr
Working without jack stands is always a little scary, thats why the wheel is under the car.

Got the Passenger Side hub off no problem. This auto zone hub puller is about to be a major pain though.
IMG_2858 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Original backing plate off, ready for the WRX ones.
IMG_2861 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Old verse new of course.
IMG_2865 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

BAM!
IMG_2868 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

So I didn't get any pictures of it, but when trying to pull the driver side read hub to swap backing plates the bolts on the hub puller stripped somehow. Of course this meant another trip to auto zone... boo...
But once I got that sorted, good lord these brakes are awesome. I always question why all cars don't come with better parts. I get that it would make them more expensive, but with things like brakes, I feel like it would be so much safer for everyone to have the best. Obviously we don't need racing brakes, but this quality on all cars would mean we could stop so much better and avoid accidents and wasting money.

Then a few weeks later I found myself parked kitty corner to a nice, stock bugeye wagon. A little dirty, but good otherwise. Also next to this red car with some horse on it. I think it was the new mustang.:naughty::p:flame:
Here we are again. Some big problems, some little additions.
First I finally finished my brake upgrades, mind you this way way back in May or June.
IMG_2853 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr
Working without jack stands is always a little scary, thats why the wheel is under the car.

Got the Passenger Side hub off no problem. This auto zone hub puller is about to be a major pain though.
IMG_2858 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Original backing plate off, ready for the WRX ones.
IMG_2861 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Old verse new of course.
IMG_2865 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

BAM!
IMG_2868 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

So I didn't get any pictures of it, but when trying to pull the driver side read hub to swap backing plates the bolts on the hub puller stripped somehow. Of course this meant another trip to auto zone... boo...
But once I got that sorted, good lord these brakes are awesome. I always question why all cars don't come with better parts. I get that it would make them more expensive, but with things like brakes, I feel like it would be so much safer for everyone to have the best. Obviously we don't need racing brakes, but this quality on all cars would mean we could stop so much better and avoid accidents and wasting money.

Then a few weeks later I found myself parked kitty corner to a nice, stock bugeye wagon. A little dirty, but good otherwise. Also next to this red car with some horse on it. I think it was the new mustang. :p :p
(if you're ever in Livermore, CA go to the Railroad cafe, great breakfast spot)
IMG_3036 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr
IMG_3040 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Then a few weeks later I loaded up all my stuff and headed back to the Pacific Northwest, back to Olympic National Park again. Thats Klahane Ridge in the background.
IMG_3107 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Took a pretty picture in the rain at Bella Rosa Coffee in Port Angeles, WA.
IMG_3151 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Then I jumped my fog light wiring so I can run my fogs solo or with my brights, which is lovely when you're doing some forest driving at night.
IMG_3547 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Turns out this was hiding in my dash all along. So I bought a remote and thats a nice little addition.
IMG_3651 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

And then this son of a biatch...
IMG_3728 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Over the course of a month or so I noticed it was getting harder and harder to shift. It took a long time for me to notice I figured I was just driving sloppy at first. Finally looked into it and found on here that I should look down into the hole it sticks out of form the transmission. I could clearly see that it was bent and cracked. Promptly order a new one and the clips from www.subarugenuineparts.com.

Turned out to be a really easy job for me, just time consuming. So real corrosion issues, even with the header bolts. Everything went nice and smoothly. My dad was even able to fab up a transmission cradle for our jack which was useful.

Once I got the new shift fork in all was good.
IMG_3727 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Thanks RS25. Always helpful. Couldn't have done any of this without you. More miles and smiles to come because of it.

·
Registered
MY98 2.2 Swapped Foz L
281 Posts
That happened to me! I put a hole through the spot in the fork that sits on the ball on the trans. Make sure to lubricate it thoroughly (I used Permatex synthetic brake lubricant)

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,733 Posts
I just gotta say I appreciate you using a bleed bottle. Hands down the best way to remove air from a brake system.

There's also a guy on here that strengthened his shift fork in all the places that your's didn't fail.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I saw that shift fork with all the extra plates welded on. Seems like a great idea, only trouble is not having a welder.

Also its nice to be able to hear and see the air coming out.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Well a while back I had ordered some phenolic spacers from grimmspeed along with new intake manifold gaskets. Part of this was brought on because it looks like the Driver side intake gasket is leaking somehow? Not sure but there is a bunch of residue building up on the cylinder 3 intake runner I believe. So I figured if I'm going to be in there, might as well upgrade.

Well of course I goofed and bought the phase 1 2.2l spacers. So now I'm working on return the phase 1 spacers and have the phase 2 spacers on there way. Hopefully I'll have this taken care of soon.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Well in other news...
With the 2 pot rear brakes my spare didn't fit. But heres the deal, I got my spare from a junk yard because it came with a full size wheel, which was far less than perfect. Well it turns out a 16in spare fits around the 2 pots but the offset didn't work.
I ordered up some 5mm spacers from Amazon and they're made by Precision European Motorwerks. Ultimately the seem to do the job perfectly. Really this spacer is just going to sit in my trunk to be used if/when I need my spare.
The spacers are CNC Aluminum. You've all seen wheel spacers before, so no picture for you...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I got both my front and rear rotors from autozone. It was a big enough project money wise, I wanted to save where I reasonably could. They definitely stop way better than stock. Some day hopefully I'll have a reason to get some better one.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Got some more goodness done.
First up was the Phenolic spacers. I don't have any pictures of the spacers installed. I did take a lot of pictures of the routing of the lines and whatnot incase I messed up/ could see where everything was supposed to be, so if anyone needs them, I got them.

Anyways, heres the driver side head with the intake and gasket off. I'm not sure what all that black stuff is around the port, but it was oily?
IMG_3868 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Here's the driver side gasket. Definitely broken down and seems to be leaky to me.
IMG_3874 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Here is the non leaky passenger side head and intake gasket.
IMG_3870 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

So then I installed new gaskets on top and bottom of the phenolic spacers and all seems well.

Then my dad pointed out that the non braking surface of my rotors was all rusty. So I wire wheeled the crap out of them, cleaned and painted them. I used some high heat paint for calipers. I feel like they look way better now, cause rust sucks.
IMG_3884 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr
IMG_3886 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Then yesterday I went to the junkyards and made some great finds. Found a Keyless Entry set up for my girlfriends 2000 OBS, so she'll get that pretty quick. I also found a full set of capped lug nuts. They were a little crusty but cleaned up well. The ones on my car were pretty crap and rusty.

So I went from this...
IMG_4116 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

To this (don't mind they dirty everything)...
IMG_4111 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Best of all though, I found this!
IMG_4107 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Obviously it is in really, really rough shape. So after some scrounging, I discovered it's three pieces and comes apart.
Underneath the cap are two screws for the plastic/clay part. If you pry very carefully you won't damage either parts. I used a piece of wood for as the leverage point.
At which point it all comes apart like so,
IMG_4109 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Clearly there was nothing that could be done for the leather since half of it was gone. So with the help of my dad and taking lots of measurements from the plastic center piece, we made this.
IMG_4122 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr
IMG_4124 by Tyler Compton, on Flickr

Its made of Lignum Vitae, which is a very lovely wood and its very oily. I have one shift knob made entirely out of Lignum Vitae. I also used the lathe to clean up the lower aluminum piece. I plan to keep the plastic section and find some similar leather to cover it in and switch them parts out if I want.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Thanks! It was super gross when I first grabbed it. All six of those dimples on the top badge part were completely filled in with some sort of crusty terribleness. I'm pretty excited to see how it feels to drive with.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts