Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Impreza Outback Sport
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Took a run to the junkyards today and picked up three things. 1. A leather shift boot from a legacy, not perfect shape, but good enough for now and really makes things look better with the wooden shift knobs my dad lathed up for me. 2. An "oh shit" handle to put on the driver side, mostly cause I wanted one. 3. A chunk of washer fluid hose because the rear sprayer hose and developed a leak... Turns out it was a huge hole. But Its all patched up now

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Pretty sweet update.
I got a Subaru Gauge Pack, The thing with the compass thermometer, altimeter, etc. from a junkyard out of a Forester. It was the cheapest ever there, looks like I got it for about 1/10th the price I could have off of here or NASIOC. Seems to be working well already. I just need to recalibrate the compass and it'll be perfect I think.
I also picked up a knock sensor from a different fozzie. Hopefully that will stop my CEL from coming on. The code has been coming on for awhile now, even after an attempt to clean the connection. So hopefully...
In other news my new tires, the Potenza Grids are awesome. There are doing great in the dumping rain thats been falling lately here in Seattle, so i'm pretty excited to see what they will do for me in the dry.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
So I tried painting for the first time with a HVLP gun. Hugely mixed results though. I got the gun from Harbor Freight and from what I can tell the gun works just fine and it has a couple of adjustments that seem great. The real issues were my complete lack of knowledge and experience and the weather.

The goal wast to paint the upper and waist spoiler that I had gotten from Cañon Carver awhile back. I bought paint online and the color is great. The problem was that things started out rough. The weather was cold and wet. I was able to build myself a bit of a booth though and that helped, but the humidity was still pretty high. So i started with the waist spoiler. I'm not sure how because I was movingly slowly and painting light with the gun, but I ended up with drips right away. I kept painting knowing I could sand it out later and that worked out pretty well, only a little mark left. Then I did the top spoiler and it was going a lot better. I thought it was completely dry at one point, so i went to wipe it with the tack clothe, but i guess not. I hit a huge wet spot and created a big drag in the paint... So i let that dry and sanded it. Then I painted it again. But for some reason how my heater was positioned it heated up the paint too much and basically melted that spot and made it look awful. It totally sucks now.

So I'm gunna wait until spring then redo them. But they'll work for now. At least they're green.

The other lesson I learned is, Whatever you do, do NOT rattle can anything you plan on actually spraying sometime down the road. Rattlecan paint sucks and is really hard to get off.

shitty day

Edit 3/3/13 finally got pictures
Melted paint... stupid space heater

Untitled by crazyskiier3989, on Flickr

Hard to see but there are wraps and uneven paint areas where I had to sand after the first couple coats

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Interesting little update.
I noticed the other day that my brakes and wheels were always hot, like really really really hot. I'm surprised nothing melted or caught fire. Took me a bit but i figured out that the piston was stuck. So I pulled them apart. The piston was super corroded. Luckily my dad has a lathe, so i mounted the piston up and sanded it down using 600, 800 and 2500 grit. Worked out pretty well. I got new seals as well, so everything is a lot smoother too.
Situation sucked at first, but in the long run the overhaul kit saved me tons of money compared to having to buy new calipers right now.

I replaced the brake pads while I was at it because the old ones were getting thin and were glazed over.
Now i just need to upgrade to better brakes, at least some two pots up front and singles in the rear.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Good news! Nothing is wrong with my OBS for once and I've been able to spend money on making it better, instead of fixing it. I just bought a timing belt kit from Z1, so that should be here soon, as well as a crank pulley from Perrin. It also looks like I'll be getting a huge tax refund, so some KYB's might be in order.

I still need to get pics of things, i'm pretty bad at that. I also want to get some more GoPro mounts for my car and then I can start taking video while driving.

But this is going as planned. Super slow and with light mods.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Huge weekend. Got a lot done. Put the Z1 Timing kit on my car along with a Perrin LWC and NGK spark plugs, valve cover gasket kit and a fuel filter. Flushed the radiator fluid while I was at it. To top it off I gave it a bath and an oil change. And I remembered to take pictures along the way... Hurray!

Gettin the coolant drained to pull the radiator.

All pulled apart and ready to pull the old Timing belt

Sans waterpump

My work station, with new pulleys and tensioner. I had gotten the digital form of the Subaru Technical manual online awhile back, super helpful. Not sure where I got it though

New Belt, water pump and tensioner in and ready

Old Crank pulley weight vs New

Getting things buttoned back up

Onto replacing valve cover gaskets and spark plugs

All buttoned up for the evening, but ready to drive

Super Dirty

After an oil change and a bath

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just picked up a full set of KYB AGX's from RockAuto. It was the best deal I could find. Should be the best upgrade so far. Plus I think one of my rear struts is on its way out anyways. More info soon.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Finally got to work on my new KYB AGX's. I'm really glad I bought new struts. It turned out that three of the 4 were bad, and 2 of them had absolutely no life left.

Getting started. The OBS is jacked up and on stands. Ready to pull apart.

Strut is pretty rusty and turned out to have no life left in it.

I didn't really mess around with taking pictures of the strut taken apart, SO here is everything back together

Here's the issue, the upper one is a Monroe that I replaced awhile back, the bottom one is the OEM with 180k miles on it.

Nearly all buttoned back up on this corner

The rear taken apart

This created some problems. It was so bad that the bumper and bellow(dust cover) were nearly destroyed, so I went and got new ones from auto zone. They aren't quite OEM fit, but it looks like they'll work just fine.

Quick shot of the work site.

Rear is nearly all buttoned up

Slightly different ride height. Front and then rear on the drivers side

All four old struts together as they sat on the car, ones on the left are the front. The two that are completely compressed, I was able to push them in by hand and they still haven't returned out.

So in the end I'm really glad I was able to replace them not just because it'll be sweet to have fancy new struts but because it'll be so much safer and sweet.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well do far the AGX's are a blast, totally changed how the car has felt. Right now I have then on 3 up front and 6 in the rear. It's so much stiffer than the stupid old ones. I couldn't be happier. I really need to get endlinks now.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Took a trip to the junkyards today, I need to start taking a camera with me because I saw some crazy stuff. But more importantly I got a set of carpet floor mats and a set of fog lights. For $20. Got home and plugged the lights in, went to turn them on and nothing.... jumped on the forums and saw something about a relay, which was a a total "ah shit..." moment. So I made a quick trip back to the yards to grab it. As soon as I plugged the relay everything worked just fine. After snapping and drilling out two bolts trying to put the fog light in, I got everything buttoned up. Looks good. Tomorrow I'll finish cleaning the floor mats and get some pictures.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
New toys

First things first, I updated my original post so its a little easier to read and nicer to look at.

Finally got some pictures of the fogs I got from the junkyard. They didn't have the shrouds so I took the factory insets and dremeled them out in order to fit. It works pretty well for now.

The other update I have is even better. I got a full set of brand new Kartboy endlinks from RallySportDirect during their 4th of July sale. I got a pretty a pretty good deal. I can really feel how much tighter everything feels while cornering. Its great. I'm stoked on this upgrade.

One thing I noticed about the end links that I thought was an interesting note is that they Kartboy ones are a little shorter than the OEM ones.

Getting the Rear links on

Taking the fronts off

Hmm things are missing...

Ahh, thats better

·
Registered
Wannabe JDM GF4
1,719 Posts
Looking good man

I might have the square OBS fog shrouds if you want them.

It looks good with the round too though

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Decided to do a little DIY this afternoon. So I took the stupid orange spot out of my corner lights. So heres what it looked like. Some of the pictures ended up a little poor... my bad.

Getting things opened up, This reflector came out really easily with a little glue remover.

First one all patched up

Second reflector didn't come out so easily. I had to use a dremel, a chisel, razor blades in the end to get it out. I think part of the problem was I didn't let the lens cool down enough before I hit it with the super glue remover, which ended up like partially melting the plastic and fusing the reflector to the lens. it sucked... this one didn't end up quite as good because of it.

All done with everything I used along the way, minus the dremel.

Back on the car. Now she just needs a bath. We've been working on residing my parents house which has created tons of saw dust covering my OBS.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thanks dude.

Over the last week or so I've come up with a plan. I've decided I'm really happen with where the suspension is at right now, so that means MOAR POWAHH, right? Well. The plan is between now and mid December start collecting the parts I need to swap an ej25 in, in early January. From what I've seen I think I'd rather have the 253 because its a MAF based like my ej223 thats in my OBS, instead of a 251 and swap the intake.

The thing is if i'm going to do this I might as well swap some other things in while I'm at it. What I'd like is some UEL heads attached to an STi Catback. I figure that while I have the engine out I might as well replace the clutch and with that get a lightweight flywheel. And to top it off some Group N engine mounts or something like that. There are other little bugs in my head like phenolic spacers and what not, so we'll see.

Now as much as I'd like to start buying this stuff now, I'm on break from my job right now for another month and then build up a little cash reserve so hopefully I'll get to start buying up the parts I want around late september.
Thats the long term plan. Now to just make it happen

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Swung by the junkyards down in kent this afternoon and found a random honeycomb grill in Acadian Green, so I picked it up. it was quick and easy to clean up and it looks pretty good. The Two center pins by the hood latch are gone unfortunately but it still locks it just fine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So two weeks ago I was at the junkyards in kent and was able to get my hands on a full Rear Disc Brake Conversion for $100. Hubs, discs, calipers and lines. Pretty stoked. The even better thing is I swapped them today. I pulled them off a 95 impreza wagon that had been t boned.

Now I just need to find my way up to some WRX brakes or 4/2 pots.

21 - 40 of 124 Posts