Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 WRB GC V9 Spec C RA recce
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since I couldn't find much info on the subject, I figured I'd post what I've done

fender was the only possible location for me (can't put it in front or on top for reasons) so after a lot of testing, cutting and pain its finally in

I am catching the air from the side bumper vent (below the turn signal) and from behind the fog light, so I had to open up the hole a bit

after A LOT of test fittings and rotations, this was the only feasible way to put the cooler in if I wanted to leave the ports pointing towards the engine (long story short, I actually regret it a bit)

I realized that without ducting, the air would go everywhere BUT the cooler, so I had to get creative

first of all I built ducting that mounts to the rear of the bumper

and then a box around the cooler that would connect with the bumper ducting

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
result looks like this

another HUGE challenge was to route the lines to the Mocal thermostat sandwich, which is mounted UNDER the OEM heat exchanger, I had to use 45* fittings from the sandwich to route the lines above the manifold (didn't want to run under because the lines would be the lowest point of the car, and if I hit something with them.... well you know, kaboom)

no leaks so far, no pressure drop either

when I have time, I plan to make cuts in the fender linear for the hot air to escape

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,734 Posts
That's pretty bad ass. Be careful with the fender liner holes though, if you drive in snow it will end up caking everything with ice.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan to reroute few things, and I might be selling this setup if anyone is interested in good core cooler with proper ducting

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
with the new turbo kit I am building I want to drop the intake down in there, so I can use the hood side vents to duct hot air from the ic/rad pack

this means I have to move the cooler on driver's side now (wish I did this in the first place)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts