Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2000 RS SRP
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Feeler: Brackets for a Cheaper 4pot option

I'm going to be using a Nissan 4/2pot setup and wanted to know if anyone else wanted to do this. If so I was going to try to have the front brackets replicated and offer them to you all. Lemme know what you think. Here are the nasioc threads I got the info from and some pics of the brackets themselves. I'll go get prices and quotes and stuff if I get some good feedback.

front install: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1573612&highlight=nissan

rear install:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567707

The site where wopdeeze ordered the parts from: ( I can't read japanese, so if you can find a price on these brackets from the site then tell me so I don't was your and my time. )
http://www.global-z.com/

·
Registered
2000 RS SRP
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got them from a nasioc member who needed to order them so I thought I would get them replicated if people were interested.

·
Premium Member
99 2dr rs black
130 Posts
sounds interesting. i read that post to the end. i would like to know 100% is they clear the rs 5 spokes. definitely interested.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Ive seen some vendors try to do this setup and sell them, I think most just give up because it gets a bit to much hassle. Dont forget I beleive the nissan 4 pots are larger so might not fit behind most rims the regular subaru ones would

·
Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
2,724 Posts
what rotors will these use?

·
Registered
2000 RS SRP
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All the pertinent information is in those forums. I don't think the 5 spokes will clear if they don't clear subie 4pots. And the rears do sit higher than subie 2pots do but this is mainly for the 4pots. I'm planning on modding some brembo rear pads to cope with some of the "lower" rotor gap, but the top is just going to have to hang over. There are various options on the rotors that can be used with these brackets. You can go as big as subaru brembo rotors or slightly smaller with 05 legacy gt rotors. I'm planning to do this mod in a few weeks whenever all my parts arrive and I'll test them with my 6-spokes. That should let the experience people know what rims will or will not fit.

The main reason I wanted these was the cheaper overall price and the fact that these have bigger rotors. 316mm versus 296mm of the subie 4 pots. Also it's upping in width to with 30mm rotors in the front and rear, subies are 26mm?

·
Premium Member
98 OBS, Black/Grey
2,724 Posts
All the pertinent information is in those forums. I don't think the 5 spokes will clear if they don't clear subie 4pots. And the rears do sit higher than subie 2pots do but this is mainly for the 4pots. I'm planning on modding some brembo rear pads to cope with some of the "lower" rotor gap, but the top is just going to have to hang over. There are various options on the rotors that can be used with these brackets. You can go as big as subaru brembo rotors or slightly smaller with 05 legacy gt rotors. I'm planning to do this mod in a few weeks whenever all my parts arrive and I'll test them with my 6-spokes. That should let the experience people know what rims will or will not fit.

The main reason I wanted these was the cheaper overall price and the fact that these have bigger rotors. 316mm versus 296mm of the subie 4 pots. Also it's upping in width to with 30mm rotors in the front and rear, subies are 26mm?
RS 5 and 6 spokes both clear subie 4 pots.

whats a ballpark overall price for this setup?

·
Registered
2000 RS SRP
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cost for calipers is only like ~$300-400 or less for front and rear calipers. Then it's however much you can find 05' legacy gt front and rear rotors for. I say 05' legacy gt rotors rears because they use the same rear rotor as the 06' wrx which is the one you'd need. You'd also need a 2pot rear bracket, in this case extra work would be needed but you can use the backing plates from the 06' wrx, or use kartboy type brackets. Front pads would be subie 4pot pads and rears would be subie 2pot rear pads.(although they leave a slightly bigger gap at the bottom of the rotors than the subie calipers leave) And I think that would be all the parts you would "need".

That being said if you wanted subie 4/2pot setup it would usually cost more than $300 for calipers.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
be careful about selling anything without vendor status. just a reminder.

·
Registered
2000 RS SRP
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I've finally started playing with my 4pots. I've been prepping them by just sanding the face down for a while because I assumed they would fit under my RS rims, I was wrong. However they will fit with a lot of modification. I used some nuts to hold my rotor in place which also acted as my proxy spacer. The nuts were ~10mm which was where I started with the shaping of the calipers. After I could clear the nuts I went with other types of shims and could clear ~5mm shims. I also noticed that my inner diameter of the rims were uneven which will require me to test each rim so I know they will all clear. I've only done the passenger side so far. They will easily clear 17" rims with a spacer and all this extra bull is just so I can use my 16's. It's a lot of work but I think it's worth it.

stock:

nissan calipers ground down to fit under 5-10mm

vid to show it clearing

·
Registered
99' L-WRX wagon
591 Posts
talk about a close fit those calipers and rotors fill out a 16" rim nicely

·
Registered
98rsti RallybluePearl
3,370 Posts
I too have already done this =-] i made my own custom brackets. no pictures of it as of yet since the car isn't running and i am waiting for the full curtain drop. at first i wanted to keep stock goldies so i ran 06 wrx rotors and made a bracket to accommodate them worked beautiful... then i was like screw that, bigger brakes for the win and upgraded to lgt rotors and made a custom bracket for those. I want to try to put 4 pot nissans in the rear as well for shits and giggles and use sti rear rotors or something or maybe some porsche rear rotors.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,046 Posts
This is pretty cool, its a good option.

I go snowmobiling in Lowville, right by Ft.Drum lol. Sucks im at college tho, cant do much sledding this year.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts