Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So which is preferred, I know the status of the AVO as being a great kit, but I see alot of FAT kits out there and the FAT stage three seems to spool up much quicker then the AVO kit, as well the FAT would give me more room to boost when I put an STI short block, STI Injectors and Pistons in my 1998 RS, although I don't like the looks of the FAT kits EMU compared next to the AVO kits PP6. And how does the FAT kit work with the 1998 MAF, is there less mods needed then the AVO?

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
I was looking at those two kits when I was ready to go turbo, and I went with the AVO over the FAT kit because... I was able to get it locally (RalliTEK), and the price was a little better. They are both nice kits with proven reliabilty, can't really go wrong with either. I don't remember, though, what does the FAT use for engine management?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fat comes with RRFPR, a voltage clamp (for speed density equipped cars) and a piggy back computer system to control ignition timing. Which is a bit scary to me because I know the AVO has more maps and is tuned better, although does the fat kit work better with the 1998. The fat comes with more things though, such as a blowoff value, and fuel pump. Well the AVO seems a bit more well put together the FAT has more room to build off of. Though I'm looking for reliability so I'm thinking AVO, then buy a blowoff value and fuel pump separate.

·
Registered
2005 RSTi
2,101 Posts
The AVO's EM is much much better. A POS Blow off valve and a fuel pump do not make up for good EM. AVO>FAT

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Yea that is pretty much what I believed too, and the EMU is key, although the thing that buggs me about avo is there is so little room to add extra boost, I plan I doing some internal work which can help me boost up to around 18 or so with STI short block, pistions, ect...

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
The AVO does have better engine management than the FAT kit, but for the 5psi that the FAT kit runs at an FMU can supply sufficient fuel. Turn the boost up & the motor will probably blow which is why they do not want you to raise the boost.
The FAT kit comes with a very good turbocharger that has alot of potential for growth that can be tapped into with a built motor & real engine management.
I wonder if you could buy a FAT kit w/o the FMU...., & add your own injectors & engine management.

M - PM me, I have some parts coming!

·
Registered
319 Posts
FAT does some really nice work. Being local its much easier to get work done there. They have some nice kits out there that run very reliably.

·
Registered
2000 brp 2.5rs 1991ss
444 Posts
FAT all the way. If you get tired of the 5psi add some injectors and a link+ and you're good to go. The avo turbo is only gonna be good for maybe 300hp.

·
Registered
2005 RSTi
2,101 Posts
damonmlime said:
FAT all the way. If you get tired of the 5psi add some injectors and a link+ and you're good to go. The avo turbo is only gonna be good for maybe 300hp.
What turbo does the FAT kit have?

·
Registered
414 Posts
First off, what are you after and don't plan your turbo kit on future mods that you might make. Plan on and build for the now.
IMHO, neither the PP6 or the FMU make a great EM choice, but with a 98 you are kinda stuck. But for the money, you can probably piece together your own system for less than what either kit goes for new.
Both kits run low boost on biggish turbos which, in my mind, is a bit of a waste. I'd rather run higher boost on a smaller turbo with better spool and driveability, but that is just me.
Granted, there is something to be said for a complete kit with all the piping etc. A home built kit does require a bit of cutting and welding etc.
I would say for either kit, set aside another $500-$1000 for quality EM. It is worth your while.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5 rs-t
890 Posts
ACraPPyRS said:
The AVO's EM is much much better. A POS Blow off valve and a fuel pump do not make up for good EM. AVO>FAT
the bov is a turbo xs. good em is all well and good but when the kit is made for 5psi the vortec fmu and the split second timing controller works mint. if you want higher numbers then ofcourse you'll upgrade the em. I've been running the stage 3 now for about a year with no problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts