Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring
442 Posts
Great looking swap and car. Awesome job. I like that you did everything yourself with some help. It's worth the hard work.

·
Registered
94&93 vr4, 94 rx7, 98 2.5rs
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Garett Holler did mine. I paid for materials (~$600) and gave him a lightweight flywheel and jdm v4 RA transmission that would sometimes want to pop out of 3rd for it. I helped him pull the body panels, prep some stuff and re-assemble everything as well. But he did all the priming/sanding/masking/painting/clearing/wetsanding/buffing. I was very happy with his work. He was 20 years old at the time too,but he's been working for a body shop for a while. Eventually he is going to have his own place.

·
Registered
99 RBP RS Coupe
129 Posts
Garett Holler did mine. I paid for materials (~$600) and gave him a lightweight flywheel and jdm v4 RA transmission that would sometimes want to pop out of 3rd for it. I helped him pull the body panels, prep some stuff and re-assemble everything as well. But he did all the priming/sanding/masking/painting/clearing/wetsanding/buffing. I was very happy with his work. He was 20 years old at the time too,but he's been working for a body shop for a while. Eventually he is going to have his own place.
He did an excellent job. From what I can see, it looks great.

·
Registered
2001 v6 sti rep white coupe
30 Posts
May I ask what it is you do? Ive been through many cars my self including some dsms and 3kgts among others, Those are not cheap cars to built and the 6G72 isnt a common build, why the DRs over the e3 16g? those seem more common and cheaper are they not? regardless, beautiful cars, an awesome garage and beautiful house.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
May I ask what it is you do? Ive been through many cars my self including some dsms and 3kgts among others, Those are not cheap cars to built and the 6G72 isnt a common build, why the DRs over the e3 16g? those seem more common and cheaper are they not? regardless, beautiful cars, an awesome garage and beautiful house.
The dr750s are not cheap but they spool faster than 9b turbos and outflow evo3 16gs. Really the best of both worlds. I had td05 manifolds too but sold them to go with the dr750s. Why pay 4k instead or $1100? They bolt on like factory. Using factory oil feed and return lines. Also use factory heat shield. Didn't have to change my downpipe or ic piping. No overheating issues or clearance issues. Also saved 1k in td05 manifolds. So I paid a little more for better turbos and a lot of saved fab time.

I am a developer for a healthcare EHR software company. But vt is a lot cheaper to live in than Cali. Plus being an old man at 27 with no kids or wife yet. Some day though.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Adding a few more photos. The muffler is an HKS Carbon TI one. I bought a wrecked wrx to part out last year and it came with this free muffer:)

I've been working on my 3000gt in my spare time this winter, but since my transmission for it's shipped away to have a billet endcase put on I have been working on the suby. I ordered a few parts with my tax returns.

I went with DW850 injectors and a DW fp. VEMS (Vermont Engine Management Systems) hooked me up with these parts. Jason was able to get me everything for a lot cheaper than anywhere else I could find online. I also got some stainless brake lines, stainless clutch line.

Here is the amp mounted. Also take notice of the trunk release lever. I moved it forward about 1.5 inches to mimic the sti latch so that I wouldn't have a hole visible from the carpet swap.

also added an aftermarket antenna since I had mine shaved. It will be nice to have the radio again.

Sub box in the trunk. I had to cut out a piece of plywood for the floor. The factory cardboard one was bowed pretty good. THe rear seats are just sitting in the car now. I will mount them correctly after I put the FP in.

I also made my own shift/ebrake boot. Since I have a 6 speed with a 2.5rs console, there is no direct fit shift boot. It was a pain in the ass to make but I'm happy with it. Took me 4 tries and I had to use youtube just to figure out how to thread the sewing machine.

Here's a peak at my vr4 transmission. This is a billet inner bell housing brace I had welded on by Kales Custom.

And here is the billet endcase that is being put on this week. Pampena Motorsports is installing it, they are also the suppliers. I would have done it myself but there are certain preloads you have to set and you need a press.

·
Registered
2006 STI, 99STiL
192 Posts
Sick build dude! I really need to paint my car...

I just installed the wheel from my 06 a couple weeks ago :)

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
looking good..

props for working on that 3000.... that's one car we work on ALL the time but I hate everyone just as much lol.

·
Registered
1998, RS, Rally Blue 2.0 EJ20K
372 Posts
you should do a wiring write up on your gauge swap. Lots of people would want to know how to do it. Including the fabrication work to make it all nice and snug. :D You do great work!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I may have a spreadsheet on my other pc that has the cluster wiring. If I recall though after putting it in the car I had 1 mistake I had to fix and I can't quite remember what it was so the spreadsheet wouldn't be exact. I still don't have the dimmer working for it either. Someday I'll look more into it.

The car's in my garage for winter now. I washed it after the first snow and put it away.

My vr4 has had some work done to it too. It has a big brake kit on the front now and I needed to get different wheels to clear it. I'm using enkei rp03's now.

And this is where they wait until spring

·
Registered
99 OBS
276 Posts
Great car man, tastefully done, love it. And btw this is probably my favorite photo on all of rs25 LOL :clap::clap:

21 - 40 of 63 Posts