Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I was looking on ebay for coilovers when i found a pair of groundcontrol coilovers. It seemed like it was just the spring and perches. Do you have to buy your own shocks as these? Are they as good as any other true coilover kit. Are all the bells and whisteles there to make me happy? I dont want to buy somthing thats not worth the money. thanks- alex

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Ground Controls are generally regarded as a very good setup, but the problem is you have to use your existing struts and mount their kit to them. That means cutting off the spring perch, and then welding the GC parts to the stock strut. If not for all the work involved, I would have picked them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you say they are good units, will the handling gain from a higher end coilover be roughly the same? or is this like a step up from stock but a step down from a real coilover system?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I'm pretty sure you don't have to cut off the stock spring perch and weld the sleeve to the strut. Other coilover kits aren't this way either. It will help in the fitment of larger tires though.

If the price is good, jump on them.

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
The handling all depends on the spring rates sent with the kit (GC lets you choose) and the struts. So, that's a crap shoot.

But yes, you do have to remove the spring perch for this setup to work, and then you weld their threaded collar onto it. It's a hassle man! :eek:

:D

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I just recently swapped out set on a buddies car. The spring perch definately wasn't cut off and I don't think the sleeve was welded to the strut. That's why I questioned this in the first place.

I'm sure GC has instructions on their site. Consult them and then decide if the deal is good enough to justify buying.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
the GC setup is good for the price you pay, but as for out and out quality, it won't compare with the higher priced units. still though, for about $800 with some AGX's, that's pretty damn nice.

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
Be warned, AGX won't last very long if you go low.
The Ground Control is nice in that their springs are made by Eibach, and you have a near infinate choice in spring rates front and rear. If you don't like the say, 375# you have up front, you can get other springs from them in like 10 pound increments.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts