Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2000 2.5 RS Impreza 4 door
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 day autocross at the Michelin Proving Grounds in Mountville SC. It is a huge smooth flat surface which is supposed to be close to Solo National quaility. There are 300 spots and people from far reaches of the Southeast (FL) are even coming. Should be a great event.

More info:
http://myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frm...psrnd=.99894425226168376011164614161647057599
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540685 (WARNING NASIOC CONTENT)

Crap probably shouldve posted this in the southeast forum, will a friendly mod move it for me. :D

· Registered
62 Posts
Not sure what car yet... I have been jumping back and fourth between rides the past few weeks and I am registered for AS at nationals next week in an S2000.

I am trying to talk my way into a C-Mod (Formula Ford) and if Rankins shows up I might run Street Mod in an STI.. so, uh.. yea who knows.

As far as the course, it's going to be a good one. Roger Johnson (multi-time and 2008 national championships course designer) has designed it for us. What I know is it's 3600 feet or so which means we should be looking at 65 seconds or so for most cars. Day 2 is similar to day one, but with "major elements" changed. Judging by Roger Johnson courses, I am betting we will see minimum gate widths of 25-30 feet, with some corners being wider.

I am betting it will take me most of that Friday afternoon to set it up.

Jon

· Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, sounds like it should be a fun weekend. I probably wont stand a chance in my class (STX) especially with such a wide open course but Im not really competing for anything. I just hope I can get my understeer issues fixed.

Charles

· Registered
62 Posts
"DrBiggly" should be there in STX in Hoppe's 2003 STS national championship car, even though he hasn't been autocrossing recently a lot, he was still fast at the CCR 24 hours. Of course.. I am not sure who is coming from where and STX could end up a really good class, win or lose.

Jon

· Registered
4,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not a big deal to me Im just there to have fun and learn how my car handles at its limits. Maybe you can help me with that since you seem to have a lot of expierence.

· Registered
62 Posts
Its not a big deal to me Im just there to have fun and learn how my car handles at its limits. Maybe you can help me with that since you seem to have a lot of expierence.
I can help for sure.. and I suppose I do have a smidge of experience. (If you count 15 years of racing and instructing as experience and all.)

but yea, lots of time I am one of the "instructors" and I run PRO class in South Carolina region which allows us to ride along if you want even.

Jon

· Registered
62 Posts
We should park all the GCs that go in one place. :D
That might be a little tough unless we were to all show up at once, paddock space is "limited" and by that I mean the paddock is the rest of the test track at the site, and we are going to try to do a really structured paddock - if you want to be together, then come in together.

I will be coming in at like 6am though..

Jon

· Registered
62 Posts
Ok... course map time.

Some points though - course designer Roger Johnson has said, "I have never set up a course exactly like it is on the map." So, some things might be moved a few feet for visual, and there are some lay down cones that might change.

Roger has also never seen the site - he did this all on notes. Now, there isn't anything to hit at all, but we will still be looking very close at the course to make sure there is no danger, and changing the course as need be.

Count these only as a guide.

(click for larger version)

· Registered
62 Posts
Cool stuff. That long right turn with the slalom on Saturday's course looks like it could be tricky. Should be fun, any idea at the number of runs per day?

We ran the long turn with the slalom at nationals this year, it is tricky, and it is fun.

Hard to say on the number of runs.. no more than 4 though. The course is 3600 feet long, so it will be in the 60-second range (or longer) for many of the drivers. Right now we are at 225 cars entered, so it might have to drop to three runs. (If we get done fast though, we will try for fun runs)

Jon

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.