Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Impreza RS EJ251
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of my engine rebuild, I installed a LW ACT flywheel and a F1 Stage 1 clutch.
The car drives fine for the first 3 miles town driving, 20 miles hwy driving, but when I lift off the gas pedal on the off ramp the clutch starts to vibrate. If I brake or push the clutch pedal in, it goes away. I am questioning the clutch disc springs...... any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I'd look at the throwout bearing before the clutch springs.

·
Registered
2002 Impreza RS EJ251
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you properly break the clutch in?
I believe so. I have had the set-up installed for 500 miles and have not fone above 3500 rpm. I am also breaking in my engine, so have been cruising on the hwy at 70. The rattle only starts when ithe clutch has warmed up and starts when I lift the gas pedal when starting to slow down. Something definatly up with the clutch disc or pressure plate.

·
Registered
2004 silver WRX
897 Posts
well it sounds like throw out bearing, I have had F1 clutches before and have no problems yet with them even bought a stage 3 for my wrx swap i was planning on doin.

·
Registered
2002 Impreza RS EJ251
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well it sounds like throw out bearing, I have had F1 clutches before and have no problems yet with them even bought a stage 3 for my wrx swap i was planning on doin.
Could you explain a little more. I only get the noise when I lift off the gas pedal. The noise goes away when I depress the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
2005 STi Black w/Gold Rims
35 Posts
As part of my engine rebuild, I installed a LW ACT flywheel and a F1 Stage 1 clutch.
The car drives fine for the first 3 miles town driving, 20 miles hwy driving, but when I lift off the gas pedal on the off ramp the clutch starts to vibrate. If I brake or push the clutch pedal in, it goes away. I am questioning the clutch disc springs...... any thoughts?

Finally someone who has a problem with their F1 Racing Stage 1 clutch like I do! But mine doesn't rattle, the pedal is weird. the hydraulics side of the system is fine, replaced slave cylinder, the master is not leaking, the line is fine and bled the system twice (both times utilizing the gravity bleed and push the pedal bleed). my pedal feels like this: you push it and you feel the little bit of free play, then the pressure point where it is disengaging the clutch, then after that, it just drops to the floor like there's air in the lines but i know there isn't. When releasing the clutch it is very tricky, it has a slight delay from the floor back to the engagement point. A fellow tech I work with who has over 20 years exp in the field says that I got a defective pressure plate. when installed properly and bled right, all the pedal pressure comes from the plate, if that dont feel right, the plate is bad. Good luck fightin the company (Gripforce or should I say Gripfarce!) they want the part back so they can "test" it while I sit with a disabled car. So i bought a stock OEM Exedy kit (the same one that came out of the car) when i install it I'll let ya know how that fixes the problem. Darren, have you figured out your problem?? i think im gonna test my plate here in WI to get some advice on wether it is bad or not so i can back up my claim when i send it to Gripfarce. plus im going to send a printed out copy of your issue to show them that im not the only one exp. problems with there clutches. They said they buy them in bulk and thats why they are cheaper than the stock one. basically that means is the company who makes them makes 2000 and only test 10 so they think that nothing can be wrong with them.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Okay, this sheds more light on a previous post I made in regards to your issue(in another thread). The funky pedal feel comes from the pressure plate springs having slightly wrong geometry. The travel goes beyond what it should and the spring force drops. ClutchNet is NOTORIOUS for this.

I wish I knew exactly how to measure things to make it right....but it is very disappointing and downright dangerous to have the plate act/react in this way. I've had it so bad (not with an F1 clutch) that my foot dropped off the pedal midshift and it came up and hit me in the ankle! Worse than that, was the fact that I lifted off the gas as soon as my left foot went out of position, so the car bucked like a bitch! It's rare for me to mis-shift....and never like that, but my codriver damn near couldn't drive the car without smoking the clutch or stalling/bogging.

·
Registered
2005 STi Black w/Gold Rims
35 Posts
ahhhhhhhhhhh....thats all i gotta say to this. its sooo good to hear that my problem is being had by others, and also that the problem is the pressure plate. i cant wait to send this info to Gripfarce to make sure they refund my money. just to be sure i have a stock kit made by Exedy ( the same one that came out of my car and after 116k miles, the pressure plate felt like the day i got it at 50k but the disc was smoked! grooves and burnt action goin on all over the plate and FW) I dont mind going back to stock since i have no money for major upgrades. all i plan to do in the near future is add full exhaust to go with the cold air short ram intake that was on it when i bought it and maaaaybe port the heads if i can afford it and if its worth the trouble. i plan on removing my engine to basically "reseal"it. timing belt and tensioners, oil pan, head gaskets and all the other valve cover gaskets and misc. ones so i may get the heads ported when they are off, may not. is it worth it? power increases? numbers? that would be it for powerwise now since i plan to do a complete STi swap in future. just want to beaf up susp. and brakes now though and make her growl! :banana:

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Uh oh... I have the stage "2" kit, carbon/kevlar disc. I wonder if the pressure plates are the same? Haven't installed it yet

·
Registered
02' PSM WRX
1,535 Posts
Uh oh... I have the stage "2" kit, carbon/kevlar disc. I wonder if the pressure plates are the same? Haven't installed it yet
dont do it. just put one in my buddys 01 rs. the pressure plate is so weak it wont push the pedal up off the floor. we jerry rigged a temporary return spring under the dash until he gets a new clutch and ships that other F1 POS back...

·
Registered
2002 Impreza RS EJ251
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not found the issue with my clutch yet. I do have the same issues with the pedal bearly returning after being pushed down. I thought this was due to the new cluch assembly and the lube on the shaft. I will take the engine out in a week or so and take a look at the clutch to figure out where the rattle noise is coming from. I still have the old Exedy clutch I removed.
Although I am still breaking the engine/clutch in, I did have the heads P&P, cylinders honed, new belts and tensioners etc. Sounds a bit deeper and feels it could pull a ton. Have not pushed it yet. We'll see...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts