Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Professional Detailer\Body-Tech Here...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
DIY Exterior Detail
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A real auto detail is a process. There are many ways to detail, here's my trade secret for detailing... Seven years of professional detail experience has led me to this process...

Once you've done the engine, it's time to to the exterior...

First the wet-work:
1. Wet it, Wash it (no brushes on the paint, guys), spray the wheelwells and wheels and tires with degreaser, scrub them, and rinse...
(trade secret)**If you have a WHITE car... add a little degreaser to your wash mitt as you wash... Rinse the suds away after every other panel is washed... NO DOT LET IT DRY UP!!! This will make the white, really frickin' white!!**

2. Open the drivers door, and spray the doorjam with degeaser. Use your washmitt to wash all the shit out of the jam... With low pressure, and a cone spray, rinse out the doorjam... Repeat with all doors, and the trunk...

3. Any REAL CHROME (not brushed aluminum) can be hit with steel wool while wet, or dry.. instantly perfect chrome..

4. Steel wool all of the windows in a checkerboard pattern, while the car is wet, but after it has been washed. Be sure to use AAAA VERY FINE steel wool.

5. Claybar the entire upper car (not below the door ding gaurds though, it'll contaminate your claybar with bullshit) Red or blue claybar will work good...
I like to do this while there's still water on the car... way easier than spraying the 'lube spray' and all that bullshit...

6. sweet.. it's clean.. now shammy, and blow off all the water from the entire exterior with a blow gun.... or wait 1 hour to fully dry

7. any tree sap, or road tar should e removed at this point with a mild solvent.. Paint thinner is too agressive, Goo Gone is not agressive enough, sometimes..
I recommend 'Mineral Spirits', be careful not to remove any paint while doing this...
(This is the point that any graphics or pinstripes should be applied or removed from the vehicle...if need be)

8. Cool, now spray your tires and wheelwells with an armor all type substance, or silicone dressing. Make sure to do this BEFORE you wax, or do your windows.... get it, got it, GOOD

9. Now we wax... Try not to do this in the blazing sun... If you must, then only apply and then remove the wax ONE PANEL at a time... Make sure to use microfiber towels for the paint, anything else will leave fine scratches. If you need to buff your car, that's a WHOLE 'nother DIY....

10. Sweet.. Just clean those outside windows, and some rain-X, and now 'yer done

A FULL DETAIL should be done once a year... This will retain the full value of your car, and prevent damage from negligence...

·
Registered
2008 AW STi
5,361 Posts
Did you work for a car dealership or Retail detailing? There is a difference... im sure you know. Your write up sounds good except that i wouldnt use a degreaser on paint, ever! But atleast you stated not to let it dry. I should also add that if you do use the degreaser in the wash process you HAVE to wax your car afterward. The degreaser will basically strip any wax that is on the car.

As far as the steel wool is concerned... only thing want to add is that you should use 0000 steel wool (wet,) i wouldnt use steel wool on a dry surface, ever. I believe thats as fine as it gets. Also dont apply too much pressure when using the fine steel wool. Even though its very fine you can scratch shit up with it. Again, great write up!

Willie

·
Registered
00 2.5 RS BRP Sedan
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I detaled at dozens of dealerships, then detail companys, and finally started my own detail business, until 9/11.. then my phone stopped ringing...

now I'm a bodyman/collision tech/painter

--

000 steel wool wet or dry is the same thing... it just feels slicker when wet

if any scratches occur it is from the contamination, not the steel wool..

same with razor blades on glass

---

yeah, totally wax your car after you wash it....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts