Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS Coupe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I just picked up a 2000 2.5RS Coupe as a daily driver, and frankly, it only requires some minor detailing and cleaning.

Amongst my "to-do" list, I have an extended armrest that at some point in time had been detached or "installed", but I'll let the pictures explain from where I'm coming before I continue:

Well, as you can see, the extended part is only attached by two pieces of plastic, along with four Philips head screws. To my understanding, I thought the 2.5RS came with this option stock, so I'm assuming it may have been detached at some point, but correct me, if I'm wrong.

My inquiry is more or less in regards to mounting the upper portion more securely, as in its current state, it tends to shift around a bit, and I almost feel like I could accidentally sever it from lower the bin.

Are there any hinges or more appropriate mounting hardware or procedures, or is this the usual way to mount the extended armrest when one finds one secondhand?

------------------------------
UPDATE:

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
I may have a spare set if you're patient enough. Nice cupholder!
The issue with my lid was that for the longest time, the clip that secures it down would fall off when lateral pressure was applied, fixed it with a second piece from the junkyard.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS Coupe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Absolutely, if you don't mind snooping around for it. You're also welcome to PM me about it in regards to further details if you do come across it. Thank you!

So is that internal cup holder an uncommon option in our cars? I learn a little bit more about this Subaru every time I'm on RS25.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS Sedan
643 Posts
Ah, someone lost the hinge...
I accidentally gave mine away and couldn't find another to so I DIYed one.

I used a 3" hinge from Home Depot, the screw holes are really close; I just had to wallow out the holes slightly. I picked up a set of trim screws from Autozone, the black ones with a metal ring around them. I cut off the metal ring and used the screw itself.

Here is a picture of my DIY hinge, holds great; opens all the way (for better or worse).

(I have the cup holder as well. I think it is the second one to match the one in the dash, in the worst location ever...)

·
Registered
00'RS/02' WRX stgEleventy
2,144 Posts
The hinge always gets borked.. so does the bottom of the center console from people putting too much side pressure on it..

Buy a new armrest or DIY it or try and find a good used one.. your call

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
The hinge always gets borked.. so does the bottom of the center console from people putting too much side pressure on it..

Buy a new armrest or DIY it or try and find a good used one.. your call

Sent from an other planet (Tapatalk)
The bottom of mine is donked.

Any tips on fixing it?
I think it's attached by two to three screws in the bottom of the deep area.

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,934 Posts
The console can be fixed by using large washers over the existing holes. Those screw points have to bear the weight of elbows and people pushing on them to get out and they eventually crack around the holes or detach completely. I never had issues with the hinge breaking though. Only the stupid latch on the lid. Oh and the folding cup holder inside I just ripped it out. Fits your big gulp or a big bottle of Fiji perfect afterwards!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I do agree with the washer idea, it does work!
The metal hinge is a nice fix. Maybe there is one sold in dark gray, charcoal that'll match perfect. That **** will never break.

As for the extended armrest, it was a option when purchasing the car. It has since been discontinued, no more available in the US. Some small parts are still available and limited to the quantities on hand. Maybe the hinge is one, I do know the top clip is the bottom is not.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS Coupe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I just wanted to update that I've remediated my situation with a 3" hinge, as Infosecdad recommended.

I picked this one up at Lowe's. It's in an oil-rubbed bronze and despite my phone's intense LED lighting (see below), it actually matches my interior very neatly. The item number is: 308929, if anyone's ever in need of having to do this yourself.

Also, as JWalker suggested, I have washers mounted on both sides of the hinge, as well, to prevent any excessive movement from those screws.

Anyway, here's my end result:

·
Free!
01 RSTI / 03LeggyH6
6,934 Posts
Hey everyone, I just wanted to update that I've remediated my situation with a 3" hinge, as Infosecdad recommended.

I picked this one up at Lowe's. It's in an oil-rubbed bronze and despite my phone's intense LED lighting (see below), it actually matches my interior very neatly. The item number is: 308929, if anyone's ever in need of having to do this yourself.

Also, as JWalker suggested, I have washers mounted on both sides of the hinge, as well, to prevent any excessive movement from those screws.

Anyway, here's my end result:

That's not what I meant. What I said was that I used washers on the bottom of the console itself - way down inside the cup holder cubby - nowhere did I mention the hinges. That hole at the bottom of the cubby in the picture that is inside the circle shape of the folding cup holder is what I was referring to - you can see where it's totally broken away. There's 2 spots like that where 2 screws should be and they tap into a mounting bracket underneath. Without them you'll have a floppy console and thus a floppy armrest.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS Coupe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
That's not what I meant. What I said was that I used washers on the bottom of the console itself - way down inside the cup holder cubby - nowhere did I mention the hinges. That hole at the bottom of the cubby in the picture that is inside the circle shape of the folding cup holder is what I was referring to - you can see where it's totally broken away. There's 2 spots like that where 2 screws should be and they tap into a mounting bracket underneath. Without them you'll have a floppy console and thus a floppy armrest.

Now I see what you're referring to - I mistook what you were saying as an addition to the hinge idea.

The screw locations that you're referring to already have been replaced with mechanical bolts at some point (probably around the same time that those plastic tabs were installed as "hinges"). I had to look up other interior pictures to confirm this because I thought it looked rather stock. My picture really doesn't do it justice because the bottom of the cubby is filthy - I'm slowly but surely cleaning and detailing the interior.

At the moment, I have no wiggle or movement coming from the center console - so I have no complaints. In regards to the washers that I did use, they're simply applying more diametric pressure from the screw heads to hold the hinge in place, while also preventing movement from the screws, as well.

Thanks again for pointing that out, though. I'll try to get a moment to clean out the bottom of the cubby so I can show you those mechanical bolts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts