Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Subaru Impreza sedan
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys quick question. i think i have an idea but i figured id ask the pros. from a cold start my flowmaster exhaust sounds like a rattly tin can rice bomb exhaust, but after i drive it down the road and it all warms up, it gets throaty and has that boxer rumble and almost passes for an STi sound. my theory is that the metal just expands and tightens everything up, but im wondering if theres another cause that i can fix, or maybe its a flowmaster thing. ideas??

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Do you still have the aluminum\stainless steel heat shields down there? If so it could be one of them loose and bouncing around until it gets stuck mine does it..... But I plan on cutting it off here shortly ;)

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD coupe
295 Posts
When I mounted my thrush muffler which is the flat oval shape I had to beat the heat shields up a bit so it stopped rattling. I would take and grab the tip and move the exhaust in every direction possible and as far as possible to see if you hit anything. Then make adjustments accordingly.

What exhaust did you buy and how did you mount it? Knowing the offsets will help too.

·
Registered
1994 Subaru Impreza sedan
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i checked the heat shields already. the ones that were left werent really that close to the piping or muffler. also i didnt install it the guy i traded my jeep to did, so i have no idea how they went about it lol.

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L FWD coupe
295 Posts
What is the overall condition of the exhaust? I know the early EJs like to rust at the hanger on the resonator pipe. I recently replaced from the cat back for ~$200 all said and done. Has a nice sound.

I would pull the exhaust off and replace all gaskets and check the condition. Look for anything loose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.