Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 OBS black pearl (suki)
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
15 years of Minnesota has been surprisingly kind to my OBS, with the notable exception of my exhaust. The entire system is starting to rot out. My seals are leaking, The weld between the resonator & mid pipe is cracked & rusting, the axle back is Swiss cheese & the fart cannon is simply pissing me off. Long story short, I'll be having a kid soon & I'd much rather have a leak free exhaust. Wich brings me to my point, what would be my best option for a good replacment? I'm hoping to do it under $200- 250, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, but I do not own or have access to a pipe bender or a welder.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
$200-$250. Junkyard, that's all you've got at that price range. There is absolutely no way to get new headers, midpipe, axleback, or gaskets at under $200-250.

Even ghetto cheap ebay won't get you there. You might skate by at the $250-300 range, but expect a fart cannon.

I'd just hit up the junkyard, grab the OEM one, sand it down, paint it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The header is still good, just need new seals at the block & before the cats. Will a 1st gen forester exhaust fit? There aren't any local wrecked gc's..

·
Registered
2003 2.5RS
60 Posts
Good luck finding a full system from the headers back for under $300. That's a pretty tight budget considering you don't have a pipe bender or a welder.

I am doing my exhaust from the headers back with the help of a shop that I do business with and I am expecting about $350 when it is all said and done. This is essentially t304 pipe with a universal magna cat straight back w/o a resonator to a DC muffler from ebay. It won't sound great, but it will fix the issues I am having.

Consider paying a shop to do the sheer welding and bending and provide for them an OEM muffler, resonator, and cats. Even back home in Cali that wouldn't be over $400.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ that's what I'm looking for, my header & cats look okay, just new seals for them, so it'd be around $200 with shipping, not bad.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Got my mid pipe today (bosal), but I think they welded the resonator in backwards. Shouldn't the fins be facing into the exhaust flow?

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Not necessarily, depends on how the resonator works. If you're that concerned through, you could contact Bosal.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not really too worried, if it bolts up, I'm cool with it. I was just wondering, mostly because because mounting finned glasspacks backwards makes them into little more than red pieces of exhaust pipe..

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
on a stock exhaust system it probably wont make much difference which way its oriented. what does the original one look like

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The original was just a perforated tube with fibreglass batting around it, it seems to function just fine though, the pipe bolted right up & fits nicely. So no complaints for $70.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts