Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 OBS black pearl (suki)
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be replacing my intermediate pipe this week, and while I'm down there, I want to replace all of my exhaust seals because a couple of them are leaking, wich seals & how any of them do I need? It's a single port engine. Also, any tips & tricks for removing the exhaust?

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
Two header gaskets, one header->cat pipe gasket (though you'll likely be using a chisel to split that, so I doubt it's leaking, I usually pulled them together), and then the donut gasket and the two springs and nut & bolts. Finally, one last gasket at the midpipe-axleback flange.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet, thanks! There's a bit of rust on the bolts, how could I get them loose if they don't want to budge? I've only got hand tools & I don't really feel that pb blaster & exhaust components mix too well..

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
If the heads aren't too mangled, then just twist them until they fail. Otherwise? There's not much you can do short of cutting them off. But unless it's actually leaking in the header-catpipe connection, just pull them as one unit. It'll save you time and aggravation.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure the header-cat pipe seal is okay, but I think it's leaking where the manifold connects to the block. I don't want to have to drill anything out..

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
The nut/bolts with springs will probably break. I know mine did and it was super easy for them to break. I ended up just using random bolts/washers/nuts to Macguyver it back together.

I personally don't replace any of them unless I need to. I had to replace my header manifold to block gaskets and in the process, replace the stud. The nut wouldn't come off and instead the nut and stud just came out of the head. I just bolted it back down and torqued it, but it just fell off the car later on. Probably when it heated up. So now I torque them down when the engine is warm. No issues of them falling out then.

Never heard of the donut gasket ever failing, but it'll probably fall apart when you try to seperate the pipe.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
About half of my header studs come out instead of the nut. I've always just put them back in and cranked down, it hasn't leaked even when re-using gaskets.

My donut gasket blew apart with the OEM exhaust. It had been leaking a bit for a while, and then within about 2 miles, it went from a little leak to gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts