Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I am soon to be the owner of a 2000 rs coupe, and I was wondering about exhaust fitment issues I might have.

If I were to get an aftermarket axel back muffler that is made for say a 2002 wrx or sti, how would that fit? Do STI stock axel backs fit well without modification, I think you have to rotate the flange and that is all as far as getting it to work? Or is there going to be a hanger problem?

Well, basically, I am looking at STI axel backs, but was also looking at maybe being able to get an aftermarket exhaust, only the axel back portion of it and making it work on a 2000 rs.

Looking at maybe the Apexi WS, or Blitz Touring, if I can order only the axel back portion.

What do you guys think? :confused:

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
s13hybrid said:
If I were to get an aftermarket axel back muffler that is made for say a 2002 wrx or sti, how would that fit? Do STI stock axel backs fit well without modification, I think you have to rotate the flange and that is all as far as getting it to work? Or is there going to be a hanger problem?
Hangers at the rear of the muffler are the same, the hanger at the front of the muffler is different. Fortunately you don't need that hanger. But, you will need to cut the flange off your brand new axelback and reweld it at a different angle, since they don't line up.

Well, basically, I am looking at STI axel backs, but was also looking at maybe being able to get an aftermarket exhaust, only the axel back portion of it and making it work on a 2000 rs.
Why? There are TONS of exhausts designed for your car that don't require cutting up a brand new expensive exhaust and doing a bunch of welding. Greddy, Stromung, Apex'i, Borla, Espelir, Cobb....there are TONS of options specifically for your car. Why you would go with a system designed for a turbo car, which will make your car slower (improper piping diameter) is beyond me.

What do you guys think? :confused:
I think you should rethink your entire plan.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah it was just an idea, I just want a single tip quite yet deep sounding exhuast (I know it has been said all the time). And I was just wondering what types of options I had. I will probably just get a STI axle back. I would just keep the stock exhuast but the car I could be ending up with has some type of cheap ebay crap on it.

And I wasnt going to hack up a brand new exhuast, I was going to hack up the mid pipe. Unless for some reason it wouldnt work right.

Also in the Nissan world even turbo exhuasts give you more power all over (just different type of power band), I figured it would be the same with subarus. I don't specifically want a 3", just looking at what other types of options I would have. Thinking outside of the box.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
s13hybrid said:
Yeah it was just an idea, I just want a single tip quite yet deep sounding exhuast (I know it has been said all the time). And I was just wondering what types of options I had. I will probably just get a STI axle back. I would just keep the stock exhuast but the car I could be ending up with has some type of cheap ebay crap on it.

And I wasnt going to hack up a brand new exhuast, I was going to hack up the mid pipe. Unless for some reason it wouldnt work right.

Also in the Nissan world even turbo exhuasts give you more power all over (just different type of power band), I figured it would be the same with subarus. I don't specifically want a 3", just looking at what other types of options I would have. Thinking outside of the box.
Here's an out-of-the-box thought for ya...check out the sticky at the top of this n/a forum...

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52687

You'll quickly find that in the Subaru world, "ebay crap" is some of the best stuff when it comes to n/a mods.

·
DWAFTW
03 Silver WRX Wagon
10,140 Posts
Hey S13...you'll have to excuse Falcon. He's on his period 24/7:lol:

As far as exhaust, talk to Bootleg either on here or wncrides and ask him about his exhaust. I bought it from him, but he had it made at an exhaust shop for rather cheap. I have Borlas with it now, but it sounded great by itself too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, by ebay crap I meant, welded on muffler, that is just super loud and obnoxious (not what I want, unless there is some type of power gain).

I know some good stuff comes off of ebay, that is what i check first when purchasing stuff for the car. This exhaust is just a getto fab up job so I want to get rid of it, and just looking at my options.

WCUimprezars, I will probably hit him up later if I can get some money together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts