Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· 4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's the deal. I have a tuning appointment scheduled for two weeks from today and I need to complete my TBE with a 3" CBE. Right now, I have an HKS 3" catless downpipe with an 07 STi catback. I'm considering two types of exhaust, the HKS HI-Power exhaust and the Borla Hush.

Ideally, I want the Borla. It flows just as well as the HKS but isn't going to get me attention from the authorities, plus I'll be able to actually hear my friggin stereo. Problem is, there's none for sale on Nasioc or anywhere else right now. The best price i've been able to find for it new is $620. While I'm told this is a good deal for this setup, it's a lot more than I really want to spend right now.

The second option is to purchase an HKS hi-po exhuast from one of two people on nasioc. I'd be able to get it for about 280 delivered to my door. This price works a lot better for me, but I've read that this exhaust is exceedingly loud and does all the things that loud 3" exhaust does; drones on the highway, attracts the fuzz, and generally makes it a pain to drive when you're not interested in hearing that sweet, sweet boxer sound.

So my question is, is the Borla good enough to warrant me basically putting a freeze on all expenditures until the next decade or is the HKS's volume not as bad as it's made out to be and I should be okay for using it on a day to day basis?

thanks for your input!!

· EEEEP!!!!
Something Slow
2,210 Posts
Why don't you two trade lol. I used to have a 3" angled tip fart can... was cheap... hated it, it was loud, droned on the highway, and got attention. I ended up trading it for a TurboXS Stealthback with a generic stock looking muffler. Now I want a 3" dp again.... its endless swapping. I say wait it out a bit and see if you can get what you really want. If you cant get what you want before your tune, just get the HKS.... and sell/trade it later?

· 4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
4,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i was thinking of doing that too. After I get the tune, all I have to do is just get another 3" CBE. How much did you pay for the stealthback? That's another one I was considering but I couldn't find it anywhere.

· EEEEP!!!!
Something Slow
2,210 Posts
it will be worth it when you start up your car and that boxer rumble makes everyone look over

I have heard an HKS and it sounded really nice!
I think that is what he is trying to avoid lol. Just keep a eye out for used exhausts, I'm sure what you want will come up within a month or so and y ou can just sell the HKS

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.