Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
gt 30'd 06 rex/16g 02 rx wagon
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I figure I'd post this for any interested. I've swapped evo brakes onto my Subaru.

Why: Generally evo calipers are less expensive than the STi brembos. I purchased mine for $320 shipped, pads (same as STi) $107 shipped, and the rotors I ended up using Legacy Spec b rotors about 12.5" vs Sti 12.8" but the Sti Rotors should work fine, there is plenty of clearance to use them , spec b rotors $120 shipped (both) from rock auto. My total cost with bolts and lock washers was about $560.

Also another reason, Is I want red brembos with my rim setup and car. I didn't want to pull apart goldies and send 'em out to get powder coated which would jack up an already big price....

Findings: It wasn't as difficult as one would think. A little patience and time and you'll be happy with it.

·
Premium Member
91 LSi w/EJ22T
1,125 Posts
Any pics of the install, i'm interested in seeing this!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This first pic is showing you how much was removed from the caliper flange. I apologize that I already painted it but hopefully you can see the ridge where the pen is pointing.

-I milled off .100 of material (a little less that 1/8 in).
-If you have a steady hand there is no reason that you cannot use an angle grinder to remove the material.
-You will need to remove the material near the ridge or it will interfere with laying flat on the spindle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This pic is modifying the spindle to work with the evo caliper.

-a 9/16 drill or 19/32 should work perfect it will open both holes enough to allow for the little bit different bolt spacing
-take your time because the drill will kick near the end of the hole.
-when finished check caliper to spindle clearance, and your holes line up.
-the evo uses m14 x 1.75 bolts as oppossed to suby m14x1.5

·
Registered
Miatamiatamiata
2,707 Posts
i'm doing this as well, i priced it out, 550 for the calipers and rotors, plus the cost of pads, milling, and the cost of 17" rims and tires to put on them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stock removal from the spindle

-use a caliper to measure the thickness of both spindle ears.
-using an angle grinder remove .100-.125 of material
-NOTE: Each ear is a different thickness, make sure you measure both and remove an equal amount!!!
-put on rotor and caliper and make sure you are centered.
-remove more material if needed....Or if you removed too much use a washer to center the caliper.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is the pic of the caliper and rotor assembled. I was also able to use the dust shield!! It will take a hammer hit or 2 but the clearance is perfect...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And here is a pic of the finished product. You can see why I wanted to run the big red calipers with the rim selection I have....

1 - 20 of 123 Posts