Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1901 - 1920 of 2577 Posts

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,906
PS, I want to race you when it's done. It should be a close race. :)
We definitely can! Same enough trans, same redline, similar power, but you're way lighter. As long as we go from like a 30 roll in second (to compare cars only) I'd love it. Passed that, you gotta get some tarmac suspension and we can dance at Waterford :D

It already sucks if you are trying to find information in this one with 1900 posts LOL
I tried so hard to keep it tidy!

·
Registered
EJ205 1996 Brighton coupe
663 Posts
We definitely can! Same enough trans, same redline, similar power, but you're way lighter. As long as we go from like a 30 roll in second (to compare cars only) I'd love it. Passed that, you gotta get some tarmac suspension and we can dance at Waterford :D
I'm down! Dig preferred, but I'd do a roll.
I'm hoping to throw some sway bars and coilovers on it next spring and do a couple track days at Waterford Hills.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,911 (Edited)
Version 8 JDM STi EJ207 Swap

Here we go. This is the big post everyone has (maybe?) been waiting for, and I myself have wanted to get this all down just so I don't start forgetting things.

Like I had briefly showed and mentioned above, I had always said that if something happened to the EJ20k that I would buy myself a V8 STi EJ207 and swap it in. It was more so a power move than anything else, but you can't argue with how good these 207 engines are. That being said, I always had a plan in the back of my head to do this on a whim so I was mentally and financially prepared to go whenever. That's more than half the battle with those kinds of things.

So let's I suppose start the story back at the racetrack....

Within moments of me discovering the rod knock on the EJ20k I was already on the phone with JDM Racing Motors looking through their inventory of V8 207s and after maybe 15 minutes of deciding what I really needed I sent cash. Honestly, if they allowed passengers in the Time Attack cars I would have been buying an engine while riding shotgun at Gingerman, but unfortunately one can only be so cool and that wasn't possible.

While I had some time to kill during the weekend I ran to my buddies place who has all sorts of everything laying around and grabbed a full WRX wiring harness and threw it in the back of the RS, and gave another buddy a buzz that had an 00 RS harness.

Everything was looking like I'd have it all together so I gave myself the goal of getting this engine running in 8 days. Project V8in8.

On Monday I started to label the WRX harness, it came from an auto, so I had to pull a few signals out that I wouldn't need.

Once the harness was all labeled I pulled the ECU related bits out from the rest of the bulkhead, and awaited the delivery of the RS harness.

While I had the harness apart, I also added in the JDM STi AVCS signal wires, and swapped the TGV lines in the WRX harness to be used for the AVCS.

On Tuesday I came down with some weird Flu and really debilitated my ability to get anything done, but nonetheless I powered through in order to get the harness done. The harness was obviously the item that would take the longest to build, and so I was really putting a lot of my time and effort during the week to get it done.

The RS harness wasn't supposed to be at my place until Thursday, so I was a bit stuck until then.

Thursday came around and both the engine and harness showed up.

I made sure to get the V8 engine with a V9 downpipe as the V8 and below JDM downpipes are shorter than USDM, but for the V9+ cars they went to the longer downpipe length. Not too sure why, but I wanted something that would bolt right on up!

Thursday also allowed me to power through both the RS and WRX harness to get them ready to be merged. Labeled up the RS harness and cut out the ECU parts that were no longer needed.

Friday after work, and feeling better from the superdeath sickness I ran the EJ20k for the final time, and it wasn't as bad I had imagined. It still ran great, and was really just starting to knock. Definitely still has a breathe of life in it.

Once I had recorded the worst of it, I yanked it out. Took me only an hour.. almost like I've done this before.

Next step was to pull out the dash and old harness. Another hour or so later:

Saturday morning I stated o run the new RS harness in the car, and the merge began. Pretty much all of Saturday was dedicated to the merge and try to deal with like 3 feet of extra length in wires. The WRX stuff routes completely different, but I wanted to keep it all through the two boots from the RS harness on the firewall.

In this picture we can see a bunch of wire length being taken out, I really wanted to get fitment better than the old harness I did when I was 19.

Here I am mounting and wiring in the fuel pump controller. I was able to use the OEM rear harness plugs for everything so it really came together well and you wouldn't know it was modified until you saw the splices!

Everything came together quite well, and I still feel like I need to tape more up to get the mass bulk of wires down, but it all goes in the right spots and lengths aren't too shabby, especially for the rush.

I ran wires through the engine bay without taping anything up just to makes sure 1. Everything worked, 2. Everything fit.

Sunday was dedicated to getting the engine in and everything else fitted. I was stuck waiting on a lot of parts, aftermaf hose and a bunch of PCV and boost lines and a BCS. I had everything on order, but it was just a waiting game. I also had to order a twinscroll exhaust gasket which would take time.

Engine went in with a little bit of hassle (damn flywheel inspection shield), but it cleared everything like I figured it would.

I tossed on as much vacuum related items I could. The IC mounts either didn't exist or were bent to hell (thanks importers), but I tossed back in the dash bar temporarily and plugged in just about everything I easily could to get the car tested.

I went to turn the key with the battery hooked up to a charger, no alternator and any of that and what you saw with the video I posted earlier! It ran, and in 8 days to boot! Project was a success.

Throughout the week I just slowly put pieces on the car as I got them in the mail. I didn't take many pictures, mostly because I was just busting my ass everyday after work to make it all come together. Swapped the AC bracket so I could use the RS AC compressor, I put on the GD power steering pump and alternator.

The GC STi radiator went in and all I had to do was trim the top radiator hose a little bit to accommodate for the different coolant crossover pipe angle output. Test mode was also working and I tested to make sure the dual speed still worked (it did).

The only issue I was having was a flashing CEL on key on and while the car was running. It was blowing my mind because I thought something was wrong with my wiring, but after a bit of research it turns out that unplugging the manifold IAT sensor is the "fix". I'm not sure why that is what causes the blinking CEL, but apparently the ECU also reads intake temp from the temp sensor in the MAF so there is a conflict of information in the ECU. I unplugged my intake IAT and the CEL worked as it should. I'll have to revisit the sensor when I get everything all together.

Friday (yesterday) I cobbled in the new boost lines and solenoid I had. Interesting story on the BCS actually. A coworker who had a WRX waaaaaay back when in 05 for a few years still had his old one sitting in his toolbox untouched for years. He brought it in for me, and now I am using it on this. I really like things like that. It's special to me. I also had to use a WRX gas pedal with a WRX throttle cable for the 07 throttle body.

And then I drove the car.

In the typical fashion interior related things were thrown in the back, cluster was connected but just laying on the dash bar, big holes in the firewall were open and everything was hilariously cobbled together. No gasket on the DP to turbo, and open wiring.

I gave the car some gas in 2nd, and I have no idea how fast, what RPM, what boost, but the gauge cluster damn near smacked me in the face and the car feels FAST. Man oh man the powerband is INSANE.

The IACV is destroyed (thank you importers) so the car idles like garbage and will stall, but I am working on getting another one. Also Need some new IC brackets and to adjust the couplers on the Y pipe to be the right angles. Just little things.

I still feel like I am missing the magic in this post and all sorts of details, but I am beyond happy. I haven't smiled this hard in this car in years, and I CANNOT wait to button things up and drive it more seriously.

I was also able to hook up ROMraider and look at all the signals and everything looks to be working properly. Wiring is GOOD.

More to come soon. Very soon.

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,918 Posts
Very nice, Why didn't you want to run the engine wiring through the left side fender like the oem gd chassis does? Cleans up the engine bay not having all that wire loom floating around.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,916
Need a new thread.
SHHHH I have an idea! :)

Very nice, Why didn't you want to run the engine wiring through the left side fender like the oem gd chassis does? Cleans up the engine bay not having all that wire loom floating around.
It's not really feasible to run through the fender just based on how the harnesses are setup in the GC. Nowhere to really get them through the fender and it's actually not bad as far as engine bay clutter. I wouldn't even call it clutter.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,917 (Edited)
Got everything a bit more together. Gotta get new IC mounts and a few more new little bits, but it's much more put together than it was the other day. Still need to tape up some wiring, but I'd like to get the proper mounts first so routing is proper.

Interior is 90% back together, got the Defis wired in and everything is pretty much in except the glovebox and steering column trim. Also have a wonderful wiring issue. High beams are always one.. I didn't mess with those wires at all, so I've gotta see what's going on. Also, I believe the airbag light is still on. No idea why, something probably was left unplugged.

Super happy with how wiring came together. Definitely nicer than the 20k stuff was, but that's 6 years of experience for ya. I'll post more pics tomorrow. I'm laying in bed and don't wan to grab my cord for my phone.

Had really bad IACV woes, importers probably bashed it and ruined it as I could pull the plastic piece away from the metal. I had to sit at lights and give it gas to keep it running. I did drive it about 30 miles today (to get a new IACV) and gave it some beans on the highway. Good lord... what a car. It's completely different, but the character hasn't changed at all. I love it.

IACV though, not so much love for. New one works, but the inner sealing just doesn't. OEM gasket was trashed too and the one I got with the used OEM one wouldn't work. I tried some RTV but no dice. Just puking coolant into the intake. Not amazing.

Called it quits and thanks to Amazon, will have two more OEM gaksets here on Monday.

·
Registered
99'RS w/EJ205, 16'340i 13'Volt
973 Posts
well that was a glorious amount of progress in a short amount of time. congratulations!

ABS light is probably because the main connector by the footrest sounds like it clicks, but it actually clicks twice. happened to me and a bunch of other people over the years.

1901 - 1920 of 2577 Posts