Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1781 - 1800 of 2577 Posts

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,782
Defi Link 52mm Boost Gauge + Controller

Swapped out my old Greddy manual gauge for a hard to fine white/green 52mm Defi link boost gauge. Has a 2.0bar meter instead of the 1.5, so I shouldn't overwork it. It's also electronic, so overworking isn't going to happen either.. but. yeah.

I had an old harness I put in the car for the Greddy gauge with a two pin connector for ground and illumination. The Defi controller needs pins for batt, acc 12v, illumination and ground, so I made the harness compatible with my already installed harness, and then added in another so make it a perfect subaharness that can be removed in various places, not just at the controller for easier installs in the future.

The gauge itself popped right into the current (ghetto) pod, and the wiring plugged right in. I made a hole in the back of my DIN pocket just big enough for all the wiring to go through. I placed the controller in the center of the pocket, but I don't know how long that's going to stay like that. I didn't really have a choice because the DIN pocket had those old CD holder trays that prevented me from really putting it elsewhere.

Also used 3M tape because of the lack of velcro, and I didn't feel like going to buy some.

I do have an oil temp gauge of the same nature that will plug in, so everything is going to get moved again I think. Temporarily it's fine.

I kept my original vacuum line tubing in place, and just re-routed in to the side and mounted the Defi sender in cabin. I sort of didn't want to do this, but the engineer in me already used one in place harness, so using an in place line seemed to be up this job's alley. I made sure to keep the sender out of the HVAC's airflow line, and other than that I don't need any other problem with keeping it in the car other than that the manual line is longer than it really needs to be.

After that, plugged it all in and everything seemed to work.

And I made sure it was reading boost correctly, as well as displaying peak properly.

I love this car so much more than that fat GD :)

As mentioned, I have the corresponding oil temp gauge and sender, just need to find a place to mount them that's NOT in the center (for now) and plug in the needed wiring to the main controller, which will likely need to be moved.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,537 Posts
Congrats on graduating and the new place of employment! I want to make it out to a GridLife event sometime, I hear from everyone that they're a blast.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,787
V4 STi Momo Steering Wheel - Take 2

UP-GRAYED!

My old V4 STi wheel had seen better days when I got it, but I DEFINITELY didn't treat it with love. Found a deal on a good condition one, bought it, got it, and DAYUM... it's brand new.

Comparison pics:

My old one got to the point where it was goopy when it was hot and humid (like it has been the past month here), and so a change was needed.

Swapped the airbag over as it was fine, and boom!

Now the airbag looks like it's out of place, but I put some leather sealent goop on it and it looks a bit nicer, and I think as I use the new wheel it'll balance out. Someone put some leather shine type stuff on it for display.

Man, everything you touch in the car is such a huge change in the way thing feels. I love it.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,788
Congrats on graduating and the new place of employment! I want to make it out to a GridLife event sometime, I hear from everyone that they're a blast.
Thank you!

And yes, you NEED to come to Gridlife. Aside from the swagyolo stance garbage, the event is absolutely the best track and racing event ever. Stay in the paddock and you'll have nothing but a good time. Plus, I'd love to meet you! Is that weird? Probably, but whatever.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,537 Posts
Thank you!

And yes, you NEED to come to Gridlife. Aside from the swagyolo stance garbage, the event is absolutely the best track and racing event ever. Stay in the paddock and you'll have nothing but a good time. Plus, I'd love to meet you! Is that weird? Probably, but whatever.
Ha! I wouldn't consider it weird, the feeling's mutual at least :)

My plan is to have Artoo finished over winter, break it in over spring/early summer, then hit some track time with it next year. Gridlife would be a target for that for sure!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,794
-Confirmed the somewhat of a mystery rear hubs I got have the same ABS tone rings as my current hubs, which means ABS will still work
-Got a minty GD subframe in the mail a week and a half ago
-Have a full set of newish looking red 4/2pots
-Ordered a set of brand new STi pink pillowball lateral links, hopefully they still have them in stock (they should)
-Washed the car, i dunno.. it was dirty..

Time for a rear end swap soon...

1781 - 1800 of 2577 Posts