161 - 180 of 2549 Posts

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #168 (Edited)
Think i have sorted the wiring... now to get lengths and start cutting :noes:

Here is the document i am using: XXXXXX

Pretty much a 00 RS to 98 STi 20k (99 MAF car things in there too for anyone who uses that) excel document, might be nice for some people to have who want to do their own wiring.

Any connection i am uncertain of i have noted that in the document, so it still may change but i am putting it out for anyone who is interested in using it right now.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #170 (Edited)
AND SO THE WIRING BEGINS!

Only trouble i am having so far is figuring out a shield that goes from the ECU, to some engine wires, and then to the cluster.

Picture of it:

Can't find this connector in any diagrams, and it seems that the shield ohms out on an ABS sensor?

Rightmost pin in this picture:

Reason why i bring this up, is because i am switching to a 3 pin VSS as well as 00+ cluster wiring, and it seems it goes to the cluster.

·
Banned
03 Legacy GT wagon
6,471 Posts
why are you doing that? your car is a 98 and the wiring is v4. those go together!
i sure hope the harness in those pictures is the JDM harness and not your USDM harness. theres no need to take the USDM harness out of the car. use your diagrams to label all wires leaving the USDM ECU, separate those going to the dash/chassis vs. the engine bay, cut the engine bay ones, then splice in the corresponding harness section from the JDM harness :) the chassis wont know the engine/ecu changed, and the ECU/engine won't know the chassis changed. and you can use a v4 JDM cluster.... (well with a bit of repinning)

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
It's the JDM harness, and my car is wired for a 251, not a 25D :) (i moved my old 00RS into the shell of this one) in the process of ohming things out, and labeling right now. No cuts yet.

Nothing from the car is being taken out or replaced or anything yet.

Also your website is helpful! Thanks for hosting that stuff!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #173

How the day ends.

Pulled out lots of things that won't be needed.. right now just separating what i need, from what i don't. Then labeling and ohming.

The shields i saw were just ABS sensor shields, pulled the pins out of the connectors and took em out of the loom completely, as well as a few other connections.

Time to play with more diagrams!

·
Banned
03 Legacy GT wagon
6,471 Posts
It's the JDM harness, and my car is wired for a 251, not a 25D :) (i moved my old 00RS into the shell of this one) in the process of ohming things out, and labeling right now. No cuts yet.

Nothing from the car is being taken out or replaced or anything yet.

Also your website is helpful! Thanks for hosting that stuff!
ah.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #175

Got the new 3 pin VSS in the mail and in the car today.

And let me just tell you how much better the car feels then my old drivetrain (as i can finally NOW feel the effects of the trans, flywheels and clutch)

It is just amazing. Can't wait another month to drop the 20k in.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Yesterday i met up with the guy who sold me the clip to give him back a few parts per the deal we had.

He came over to my house and i showed him how the swap was going and as far as i could tell he was all smiley faced, which made me happy. Showed him the car, told him about how it was getting the driveline in and the plans for the motor going in. He said he wanted to be there when the motor goes in, and i just think that is super cool. Will definitely be giving him a call the day i plan to drop it in.

Haha not to get all soggy, but it's really nice when you can see this kind of thing in the Subaru community after sorting through the bullshit.

So yeah, just wanted to post that up and say there is faith in the community and in the human race! Haha!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
More wiring today, have almost all of the ECU connections and engine bay connections separated. And ready to start merging.

(Sorry for the blurriness)

Only have had one hiccup.. a white w/ black stripe wire that went into the big cluster connector on Pin 14. I have no pin outs ANYWHERE for it. It's a direct line from the cluster to ECU, and i have no idea what it even could be. Any thoughts?

Pics of that connector.

Also i have two lines from the big 16 pin or whichever it is connectors to the engine bay, both go into the cluster, and one of those two branches off and goes into what looks like AC connectors. Any thoughts on those?

After i figure these out i can continue. One is a white and red wire, the other is a white and green.

Pictures of those:

Time to dig through tons of fun wiring diagrams.

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
See, your problem is that you have a dog food in your wiring harness. Also, it looks like that wire you show in the first picture is black w/ white stripe, not white w/ black stripe.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Bahaha shut up Tim.

So the wires i can't find on the Aussie diagrams are:

White w/ Red

Connector: i2
Pin: 21
Goes to
Connector: B21
Pine: 9

White w/ Green
Pin: 17
Goes to
Connector: B21
Pin: 10
Also branches to another connector

White w/ Black
Pin: 14
Goes to
Connector: B136
Pin: 19

Must be a small difference in the Aussie VS Jap models. My father thinks it is Tach related... but.. i dunno. Not sure what else the engine would need to tell directly the cluster.

doing some digging..

·
Banned
03 Legacy GT wagon
6,471 Posts
is your swap and wiring v3 or v4? now that you've answered, are you SURE? i'm guessing you have a v3 unless you can tell me what the vin tag on the clip says

For my v3 STi swap, I show B136 pin 19 as EGT with wire color Black w/Blue.
i think it runs to the cluster because on the JDM clusters for v3 there is an indicator for "your cat is too hot"

if you are sure the wire is white-black (white with a black stripe) the only wire that i have shown as white-black at the ECU is injector 1 (b135 pin26)
if you are sure the wire is black-white (black with a white stripe) the only wire that i have shown as black-white at the ECU is boost controller (b135 pin3), or ground (b135 pin14)

161 - 180 of 2549 Posts