Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1661 - 1680 of 2558 Posts

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,662
and for your next trick, making the tape deck function as a fuzzy logic boost controller like the guy on mcm did.
I could do it. Super easy. Been wanting to use the compass pack as a digital some sort of gauge, but there's not that many useable displays that can be changed.

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,889 Posts
I would like a stock deck turned bluetooth deck, I have a bluetooth only headunit and a stock deck... You can make it happen?

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,664
I would like a stock deck turned bluetooth deck, I have a bluetooth only headunit and a stock deck... You can make it happen?
Could make it happen with parts that are cheaper than that headunit:

-Arduino Nano ~$5
-5v relay ~$2
-Bluetooth receiver board ~$10
-Voodoo magic to know where to put everything - Priceless

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,665 (Edited)
OEM 22b Vents + S-Craft Backing Plates

Finally decided to pull the trigger on a set of these. OEM painted (or so I think) 74F 22b vents with these weird backing plates with em.

***UPDATE: Info found on backing plates, see here: http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/3406639-post1706.html

The vents are straight forward, so most of this is going to be me talking about these backing plates...

They appear to be FRP, and one had some damage to it. No biggie.

Vent install was straight forward, as was the plate install. They fit very well.

When I went to tighten down this nut, it occured to me that these were no way some sort of OEM plate. No way an OEM or WRC team would allow for this poor fitment.

Vents appear to snag air from behind the radiator and vent it outwards pulling out heat. Seems logical enough I suppose.

Closed the hood and the plates cleared the MAF and all components. That would explain the two different shapes of them for sure.

Boom 22b vents!

Only complaint is this: I assume this is normal as these ARE OEM vents.

Anyone have any info on the backing plates though? I've scoured both Launsport's and Burnup's websites with no info, and don't believe any other companies make stock-like components.

The widebody WRC cars used the HUGE vents, so they wouldn't have used these, and the old 4 door WRC cars used the V1-2 style vents so they wouldn't work on that either. Along with the poor nut fitment that sort of rules out anything WRC.

:shrug:

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,666
JDM STi type R Front Door Cards

Holy hell.. where do I start.

I've been looking for these for years, and as it turns out, they are extremely hard to get you hands on. At first I didn't want to pay $1000 for them, but I think in the long run that's not too far off the actual cost.

That being said, to me they have been worth every penny. They obviously fit flawlessly, they match 100%, the fabric is soft and a bit plushy, and it brings together the entire interior.

Took me about a month and a half to get these to my door, and about 5 minutes to install.

First things first, one came before the holidays and the other was stuck in customs so I went ahead and did one while I waiting on the other.

First interesting find was that the type R cards didn't have sound deadening. Makes sense. Race car.

Swapped it over from my old cards.

2nd order of business was to tighten up all the loose screws and swap out the RHD switch plates with the LHD ones. Popped right in, and now I have some cool RHD coupe switch plates. Neat.

Then it was just a matter of swapping over the little push tabs and popping them on the doors.

Done and done!

And some attempts at wide angle entire interior shots. Pardon the mess..

Yeeeeeee I'm like a little school girl.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,669 (Edited)
OEM Head Unit w/ Bluetooth

My latest project.

Ever wanted A full Bluetooth radio, but hate the space disco looking aftermarket option? Are you a simple person who just wants their phone hooked up and a radio? Whelp.. I made the solution.

OEM radio with bluetooth audio. For ~ $20 (probably less) in parts I took the tape input and created a straight Bluetooth audio source.

Here is a picture of the bench test before final install:

The Bluetooth streaming was the easy part of this, the hard part was getting a momentary switch that took advantage of the OEM tape control switches to swap between the radio and bluetooth. For this I started out trying to create an SR Latch which is a logic circuit that stores 1 bit of data (on/off). It occurred to me that the cost of a NOR gate IC and Arduino Nano was around the same... and the Arduino, while massively overkill for the project, was perfectly adaptable.

Coded some beep boops and boom, I have an OEM switch swapping the function of the radio.

The next issue I ran into was heat from the 5v regulator. I mounted my board in the deck right where the fat DC motor that was meant to run the tape deck was, which meant OEM venting for cooling and it SHOULD handle it just fine.

Here's a picture of the finished mounting and design:

I'm a bit apprehensive on using hot glue for mounting, but I've done my best to isolate all the circuitry from everything else... big bumps and high freq vibrations SHOULDN'T be an issue.. but.. we'll see.

Here is a video of it all working:

As you can see it works just as the phone would and the phone takes control of fading the sound of the music out if you have GPS going.

It's awesome!

Next goal is to try to flash the controller to make it say "BLUE" instead of "TAPE".

EDIT: 1/10/2017

Left the radio on overnight on my bench. I didn't die in a fire so heat must be alright. For now.

Tossed it in the car but had to change one wire over. I put the Vcc for the Arduino on the battery line that the clock uses to keep itself as a useful clock. Swapped that over to the radio switched 12v and done.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,673
It's just an audio out for the phone, so you can do calls and have the audio play through the speaker, but the phone would still be used as a mic.

There are some Bluetooth boards you can buy that have a MIC input, but they all had digital enables and all sorts of features I thought was overkill and was the same reason aftermarket stuff sucks.

I could add in a mic input somehow I'm sure.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,674
Notable things:

Car had a pretty bad misfire "moment" and generally felt less peppy than usual.

Swapped out the coil pack and seems to be back to feeling like itself. I've also ordered new spark plug wires from Japanparts and might order a new coilpack. Will update once parts arrive. Stupid wasted spark...

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,679 (Edited)
OEM Yazaki Spark Plug Wires + Coil Pack

Well it comes time in every cars life where it needs some maintenance. After a bit of noticing a lack of pep and a single incident misfire, I grabbed the easiest thing to replace. Coil pack and spark plug wires. Plugs had been done earlier last year (or something like that.. I dunno.. you check the journal!).

Got a coilpack from a buddy. They are the same as a 25D so finding them was easy, and I could literally buy 30 of them from the junkyard for the price of new one, so I figured I'd roll the dice with a used one.

Ordered the wires from Japanparts after having a hell of a time finding the proper part numbers for an EJ20k. They are NOT the same as a 25D despite common internet folklore. Cost was around $135 or so. Not too shabby.

So here we go, the definitive part numbers for EJ20k spark plug wires:

I had Japanparts verify the part numbers I had with my JDM STi VIN from my halfcut. The ones I had were wrong hah! So yeah, there they are.

Upon getting them I noticed they were all different lengths. Makes sense.

They also send leads off in different directions... duh.

Made in 2015. Neat, these should fair better than the ones I had that were made in 2004.

Comparing them to make sure I had the right wires in the right places, though it's pretty obvious when you don't.

Here's the inner lead on the old spark plug wire:

You can see tons of gook and oxidation/fouling on the lead. Good for me as I was hoping for some sort of improvement putting these on.

New one for comparison's sake:

What you see is a flash reflection and a clear lead. Cool!

All finished up. Fitment was perfect, but I'd be more concerned if it wasn't from an OEM part.

Coil was also swapped, but no pics for that because who really cares? I mean I guess who really cares about wires either, but among the controversy of which ones fit I felt it was needed to fully document it.

First impressions: More pep, more response, high load, high gear, low RPM has a bit more takoff. Definitely something that needed to be done. Your fuel is only as good as how well you can explode it.

Cool beans.

1661 - 1680 of 2558 Posts