Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 140 of 2546 Posts

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Trans out today.. was a bit of a hassle as i've never had a pull clutch before so some 97-98 WRX service manuals saved my skin.

Anyways, had to get off the DP first which proved to be a pain. Bolts were on WAAAAAAAAAY tight. Some heat treat and all were good.. expect one. Rounded the nut with a 6 point wrench :wtf:. So i got out the dremel and three wheels later looked a bit like this:

Literally no shaft play, and Pretty clean too.

Took of the trans, but after i had the "regular" bolts off i pulled and pulled until i found this picture, with the pin i had to take out (circled in red) in the service manual.

Little cover, or rather, the piece that keeps the pin in, is right here and looks like this (taken after the fact for informative purposes):

And then you have to put a longish bolt in the threads to pull the pin out:

Came right out after that.

You can see the pin pushed in a bit after removal in this picture.

Pretty interesting looking clutch and pressure plate if i do say so myself.

Tomorrow i want to get off the clutch and flywheel and then get off the trans in the blue car and put this one in (and diff and all that). Not sure if i can get that done tomorrow, but i am shooting for the trans and brakes to be in by Monday. Not painting the calipers quite yet.

Questions:

Flywheel and clutch will go on the 251 just fine, right?

Can i use the turbo X member with the nonturbo car? Would allow me to NOT have the take out the axles nuts and just swap hubs over.

Speed sensor and neutral position (i believe it is) should plug in just fine, right?

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Not much today:

Just got the clutch and flywheel off. Both look and feel super good. Lightly used for sure.

Tomorrow i throw this on to my car, along with the transmission hopefully.

S'all for now. Tomorrow should be fun.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Dropped the RS rear and threw on the STi rear.

Parking brake cables are a pain in the ass and for whatever reason took me forever to get together.

Pictures:

RS Stuff coming out

Bare car..

And STi stuff in

Did run into one problem. Before i decided to just move EVERYTHING over i was trying to take off the hubs, so i took of the nut on the giagantor bolt and then hammered on i to try and get it out (which it wouldn't) and ended up with this:

The nut won't go back on, and it's not a huge deal as i have another one of the bolts in my bin of bolts... the only problem is the damn thing STILL will not come out. I have put LOTS of force into the bolt head, banged on it (obviously) sprayed it down with PB blaster.. I guess the next thing is to take off the lat links from the crossmember and hope they free up some tension.

As far an inconveniences go though, i am glad it's something like this and not something more annoying or big.

Tomorrow is trans swap day.

Oh, and i also need a single STi sway bar bushing haha. Odd thing to not come with everything... though it probably feel off years ago before i had it in my possession as i don't remember seeing it.

·
Registered
96 L Turbo Wagon
3,641 Posts
I feel your pain on the parking brake. It's kind of a pita. Mine is more hooked up now and fully adjusted and still doesnt work well on big hills. I need to like adjust the cables themselves

·
anti vw.anti rota.
2000 GF, 2012 Ruckus
6,119 Posts
Let me know what size sway bushing you need. Also, just take a triangle metal file to that badass bolt once you get it out and reshape that thread. I had to do the same with my green wagons driver side.

P.S. - Only the gays take ALL NIGHT to install the ebrake cables, took me a whole 15 minutes BOTH times I installed that shit, including running the cables from the rear hubs up through the tranny tunnel ;) You are failing at life, sir.

Just remember, from the back side of the hubs, UP is tightening your parking brake pads against the rotors. I would start at full tight, then work your way down until your ebrake pads dont rub along the inside.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Let me know what size sway bushing you need. Also, just take a triangle metal file to that badass bolt once you get it out and reshape that thread. I had to do the same with my green wagons driver side.

P.S. - Only the gays take ALL NIGHT to install the ebrake cables, took me a whole 15 minutes BOTH times I installed that shit, including running the cables from the rear hubs up through the tranny tunnel ;) You are failing at life, sir.

Just remember, from the back side of the hubs, UP is tightening your parking brake pads against the rotors. I would start at full tight, then work your way down until your ebrake pads dont rub along the inside.
:D

It's a 20mm bar.

Also.. stuck on this... I am a bit embarrassed as i thought it was plug and play as far as wiring..

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/t174310-v4-sti-transmission-into-00rs.html

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Took the RS trans out today and finished up the rear end.

Pretty basic stuff.

Also figured out that you can just swap sensors for the JDM trans to go in, i took a ton of pictures of the sensors and placements so i will update the thread in the post above for information for everyone.

Also stuck the STi flywheel and clutch on the EJ251 as the EJ20 isn't going in for another two months or so, and i'll be running the 4.44 trans with the 251.

Pictures per usual:

Interior business

The two transmissions, very different when you look at them

What a busted ass speed sensor looks like:

If anyone wants to let me know the trick to getting these in and out.. do share!

The two clutches look so different. I love it.

And how the Subaru sits right now. I quite like this picture haha

TOMORROW FOR SURE the JDM trans goes in.

I also ordered some urathane 20mm RSB bushings on Amazon for $9. Not expecting awesome quality.. but they'll get the job better than the 1 20mm on there now.

All for now.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Trans is in.

Tomorrow is putting the axles (paaaaaaaain in the ass), driveshaft and exhaust, as well as swapping clutch MCs and making some custom lines.

Also if i can get my hands on a hoist tomorrow i'll be swapping front crossmembers

Few pics..

Looks like some sort of evap hose or something. I'll take it off tomorrow and put it in my box of "things that might need to go on the car"

Looks like i need to wash the seats again.. oh well. Small price to pay.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Alright do a decent amount of work was done today.

Axles hooked up, clutch MC in after a lot of wasted effort.

Wanted to use the JDM STi MC because it seemed like it needed more travel for the clutch.. plugged it in, used a tube bender to bend the lines to match up to the hardline connection on the other side.. bled it all.. and what do you know.. it didn't work. Too big.

As you can see in this picture, the JDM STi MC is QUITE longer than the RS one.

So after that big sigh tossed back on the RS MC and bent the lines back (in a more ghetto fashion) to fit and it looks like this:

Gonna have to run by a dealership and pick up a new line.. because that is obviously not right and shouldn't be driven like that for a long time.

Also tossed on the 4pots, here is a little before picture:

And after!

Rotors need to be worn in as they have been sitting in Michigan for 3 years or so and have a bit of surface rust.. other than that they look perfectly fine.

Also here is a picture that doesn't suck as much:

So yeah, axles in.. keeping the RS brake booster and MC for now so i guess i'll see how that plays out with the brakes. Just needs some gear oil in the trans and diff, as well as a brake bleeding and she should be good to go for a couple months until the 20k get's shoehorned in.

Also i bet my dad 5 bucks that i WOULDN'T stall the car with the MUCH heavier clutch (feels so good) and the lighter flywheel. Guess we will see hahaha..

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #135 (Edited)
Everything that has gone on the car as been more or less cleaned up (mowed down with brake cleaner, wiped up, blown out, all that good stuff).

I am keeping the 251 in the car for a couple more months as i need to drive it everyday to get to class and such, and i had a week off (spring break) to get the drivetrain in order to be able to get things up for sale and clean out the garage.

Plus this makes many things easier come Mayish. Now all that needs to happen is the merged harness (which i should be getting started on soon, as i bought another one to work with) needs to go in and engine swapped out.

I am going to clean up the 20k and dig in a bit to check things out, but i can't do any of that until i have an engine hoist at my disposal. So far everything has been stupidly clean.. the clutch looked brand new.

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS, Brilliant Red
1,345 Posts
Looking good, Garrett !
I have had no problems so far running the 4/2 pot FHI setup with stock RS MC & booster,
and it's not mentioned as needing upgrade in any of the threads, either...
so i think you don't have to worry about that.
Now go do some driving & scrub those rotors clean, LOL !

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Axles in.. fluids topped up.. brakes bled.. everything good to go!

Went for a short drive (up and down my street) at 11pm tonight. Reason it was so short was because there isn't an exhaust on the car haha.

Got the urethane bushings on. What a pain.. but after globbing on the grease and a lot of swearing that sway bar isn't going ANYWHERE. Plus they are red so that adds horsepower.

Picking up an engine hoist and swapping front x members out tomorrow (as well as the steering rack and all that fun stuff.. guhh). This will allow me to do a simple pull and put in when it comes time to get the 20k in.

Pictures (nothing too spectacular):

REAAALLLY need to rewash my seats again.. stupid grease and dirt.

Also i got the 251 harness i bought.. which means i can get started on the merge soon!

Tomorrow is adjusting the clutch pedal a bit, hopefully i get the speed sensor in the mail and can put that on, then i can find out how much i really will enjoy this transmission :)

OH AND ONE OTHER BIG THING!

Are sedan and coupe handbrake cables the same length? Because i adjusted the rear drum shoes and have the bolt on the handbrake all the way down, and i still have a wet noodle for a handbrake.

If the coupe and sedan lines are the same.. i have no idea what i could have borked up.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #138 (Edited)
Phase 2 Completed!

Got the RS front x member off and swapped the steering rack into the turbo x member with the hubs and alum control arms and such.

Pictures of the two side by side:

Subtle differences

Car with no x member in it!

Time to deal with wiring.

Layed the RS harness in the RHD clip.. came up with this.. though it's pretty much useless.

Right now i am working on an excel spreadsheet with all ECU connections from the RS and all the ECU connections from the V4 and where they go. Will post that up once i am done. As far as wiring goes, the plan right now is to pull out common ECU pins between the two ECUs from the RS ECU, plug them into the 20k ECU connectors and then cut the 20k ECU specific lines from the JDM harness and route them in the car so that they will fit. They will be taped "externally" from the rest of the harness, so technically it will still be wireable for a 251 but work perfectly with the 20k ECU.

Basically this allows me to keep stock things such as cruise control, ABS, AC and all those fun luxories while linking the 20k directly the to ECU and cluster... and that's it.

Also a great way to cut down on the wiring mess. Will obviously post pictures and documents when all is said and done.

Sometimes i love my father being a very good electrical engineer and being able to read wiring diagrams like a slightly complicated novel. Easy for the most part.. but sometime there's that word you are unsure of the meaning.. haha.

Tomorrow exhaust goes on and ATF fluid into the PS system. Also an alignment. I have to get some exhaust gaskets.. because mine have seemed to disappeared? Who knows..

Still waiting on a speed sensor, and need to fix the wet noodle handbrake. No idea what's borked up with that.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Well everyone Jake (SRPrs) just saved my ass today.

Turns out my EL headers didn't fit with the turbo x member. Did some looking around and found out borlas did. I knew he had a borla setup.. so we traded for a bit.

I honestly cannot thank him enough, he came over right away and got things setup. I owe him my turbo, or something..

With exhaust on the car i can now drive it (to class tomorrow) and get working on wiring.

Did i mention i can't thank Jake enough?

121 - 140 of 2546 Posts