Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1361 - 1380 of 2577 Posts

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,369
Fuel Filter

Gotta have clean fuel! The one in the car came with the shell (that as over 200k miles). No idea if it was the factory original one, but it at least had 60k miles in my ownership, so I figured it was time to swap it.

Oh and a bonus (meaningless) rollover!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,370
My fuel door now works properly!

Also got a little goodie that probably only I appreciate:

98 Impreza/WRX/STi Owner's manual!

Going to use some picture to text translators to see what it all says. Hoping for some cool info on what STis came with back in the day and whatnot.

It was 300Y, so I HAD to get it!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,371
Ghetto bench tester is a success!

Need better waveform control, but I know that what I have works for the moment! Just need to get a laptop in the mail with a serial input for my epprom burner.

Taking donations for a JDM cluster for KPH->MPH conversions :D

·
Premium Member
1999 RBP RS
1,132 Posts
Nice, I sent mine off to another member for kph->mph. It's cool to see a setup(or at least similar setup). Love seeing the behind the curtain photos of crazy electronic rigs!

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,587 Posts
Why not just get the converter chip rather than risk bricking the cluster? I suppose it is fun to tinker, plus you could change your millage at that point.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,379
Why not just get the converter chip rather than risk bricking the cluster? I suppose it is fun to tinker, plus you could change your millage at that point.
My logic comes in a few parts:

1. Not as accurate
2. Not as applicable to a broad range (chips are different for every Subaru)
3. ECU still sees a speed signal and messing with that with a chip messes (albeit most likely without issue) with the signal the ECU sees.
4. Not as cool or fun to do

And I don't think it's possible to brick. Worst case the EEPROM bricks and I get another for like 30 cents and flash it with already saved ROM.

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,380

Few new lovely pieces in... let's see how long it takes to piss off my roommate by clogging up our living room table.

What you see here is:

-Wavetek 187 Waveform generator, complete with ghetto "coax" cables.
-Garbage can oscilloscope from Ford cera 1998
-Chinese 20V power supply overnighted from Ebay. Chinesium cutting edge cables included.

Just need to add in my oldschool computer with a 9 pin serial and eeprom burner to complete the setup.

1361 - 1380 of 2577 Posts