Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1281 - 1300 of 2577 Posts

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,281 (Edited)
V6 STi Springs - Again

Yeah... Bought some springs, put them on the Ohlins. They are stiffer than the Bestex ones for sure.

Terrible comparison picture of the rears. They are the exact same size, don't mind the angle. By that logic, the STi ones must be stiffer.

Fronts actually were a smidge taller than the STi fronts, didn't get a picture of that. Again, by that logic STis are stiffer.

Along with the springs were a bit nicer tophats.

Fronts all together.

No rubs in hard cornering. Car feels WAY less prone to sway than with the Bestex.

Wish I hadn't messed with them.

Oh well, live and learn.

Ride Height:

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,282
Still kickin'! Been keeping busy.

04 STi steering rack (also ordered an L&E Fab u joint)

and both (one pictured) OEM QPs, going to swap the one to fix up some damage on mine HOPEFULLY at the end of August.

Really excited for the next few weeks!

Oh, and I washed the stupid car for the first time in a month..

·
Registered
21 Posts
I started reading this and after about 5 pages saw how many pages it actually has. Truly amazing to see how great someone can make a car that has seen better days. I applaud you, this thing is awesome! :D

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,285
I started reading this and after about 5 pages saw how many pages it actually has. Truly amazing to see how great someone can make a car that has seen better days. I applaud you, this thing is awesome! :D
Thank you! Your kind words mean a lot!

Car's looking good! How soon are you looking at doing the quarter?
Realistically I'd have to do it like.. now. I just need to see if cashflow is going to work since I have a big upcoming tuition payment to make in September.

I'll have my 04 STi rack in the car next week, which should be really fun.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,537 Posts
It'll be nice to see the other side of the car! How much more of the car do you plan to repaint with that quarter?

The STI rack will be a good improvement. The difference in steering between my two Imprezas is very noticeable. It's awesome you already got the Whiteline steering rack bushings with it too!

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,287
It'll be nice to see the other side of the car! How much more of the car do you plan to repaint with that quarter?

The STI rack will be a good improvement. The difference in steering between my two Imprezas is very noticeable. It's awesome you already got the Whiteline steering rack bushings with it too!
I really want to do the roof, but that will require a lot of stuff.. plus I want to ditch the sunroof eventually so.. might hold off.

I also want to delete the side mouldings.. but again, a lot more work. We'll see what kind of deal they swing. I won't do a full respray since my bumper isn't worth it and nor are my fenders.

Also money. Money is tight. And If I wanted to do a full respray I would take it down to bare metal first

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,537 Posts
Makes sense. I've really gone back and forth on deleting my door guards, but I just feel it would make the car more vulnerable. There's no way I could give up my sunroof though :)

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,290 (Edited)
PCA Autox 131 Motorsports Park, August 23, 2015

The west Michigan Porsche club posted on a facebook group saying they had an Autox for $20 for students... so I was there immediately.

Was a GREAT time. 6 run, 3 were dry, 3 were torrential downpour.

First time running the car with:

-STi fuel tank (big deal, didn't get fuel cut)
-Ohlins and V6 Springs
-RS Zeros (so much less doggy than the old Prodrives)
-Dunlop ZIIs (AMAZING amounts of grip)

Overall I was in the top 10 or so, and beat all of the Porsches racing except one.

Car felt perfect. Dry runs I wasn't giving it enough gas in the turns because I was just so not used to have suspension and tires that could take the speed. When it started to rain, I started to accel past other cars, and only had a little bit of understeer in the last corner.

Also there was so much rain, that half of one of the higher speed sections of the course (sounded around 7500 RPM in 2nd, so ~50mph) was completely puddled over and I went to go turn for the little offset and I had no steering, so I hit the brakes, which I had zero of, and plowed down about 4 cones taking my front lip off in the process. Hydroplaning scared me a bit.

Overall I ended up setting the fastest wet time, and I bet if I had more than 3 dry runs I would have been in the top couple of people.

Was a ton of fun. Probably the most you can have for $20.

Only issue I had was my clutch getting really soft for a second after a run, pumped it a few times and then it was fine. Wasn't losing fluid.. hrmm?

More pics I found:

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,297
04 STi Steering Rack, L&E Fab U joint, Whiteline Bushings, new tie rods

Pulled the old rack and put in the STi rack. Bolts right up, the L&E U joint did as well. Despite the shitty looking weld, I went with it.

PS Lines were all redone... poorly. But hey, it works... for now.

Old vs New

Old vs New

Track difference between GD and GC

U Joint

While under there I did new tie rods as well.

So far, really impressed with the quicker ratio. I'm in love.

Would have helped racing last Sunday, but that's just how things work sometimes.

1281 - 1300 of 2577 Posts